• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GraceRandolph

• KatyPrismSpirit

• mons†er

• Just a Gay on ATRL

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's partly streaming that lowered music revenue for popstars and unless you are doing Taylor numbers it's not worth time and effort to invest in music. 

Also for most popstars music has never really been a passion it's been mostly a way to accede money and fame. 

Edited by ugo
  • Like 2

I agree with what was said. I agree the most with the second point. Artist development. It's none existent and the industry moves so fast now that artists don't ever get time to develop. They usually start with a smash or viral moment and then it goes downhill from there. It's so rare for this not to happen. Olivia Rodrigo seems to have escaped this curse.

Another factor for me is overdillution of the industry. It's so much more accessible now, people can release songs from their bedrooms. You don't need a fancy expensive label anymore which I think is causing issues for the industry. There's so much music now and adds to that speed and pace of the industry moving. You can't slow down, long gone are the year long album campaigns otherwise you just get forgotten about and everyone else moves on. It needs to be sharp, precised and calculated which I don't think experienced artists (looks at my faves) haven't accepted yet.

Edited by nathanspears

1 minute ago, Dephira said:

This video should be called "why monoculture/omnipresent pop stars are dying", since that's what he's actually talking about. Pop music is alive and well, there has literally never been a greater variety of pop music made and uploaded daily. Pop music is doing just fine

this. in fact we had a resurgence of the pop genre and increased respect for it since 2019. the mid to late 10s were filled with basic tropical/DJ dance pop or trap mumble rap/hip-hop which have all now thankfully faded in favour of disco/synth pop, punk pop and the 80s coming back with vengeance 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Hmm, I think the discussions in the thread are missing a slight point in my opinion. We're not talking about the industry as a whole (Spotify is filled with new songs every Friday, new artists appear all the time). I think the point is about the era of pop music superstars is over. The last one we have left is probably Taylor.

Also, so many of these new artists can't even fill a theatre nevermind an arena or stadium.

Edited by nathanspears

7 minutes ago, Dephira said:

This video should be called "why monoculture/omnipresent pop stars are dying", since that's what he's actually talking about. Pop music is alive and well, there has literally never been a greater variety of pop music made and uploaded daily. Pop music is doing just fine

This is such a frustrating narrative that y’all keep spinning. Variety was there in the 2000s as well, but what’s lacking now are the new megastars and iconic moments that make pop last in the collective conscious. How is it a positive thing that we likely won’t get acts who can maintain long term careers in a post streaming world?

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, nathanspears said:

Hmm, I think the discussions in the thread are missing a slight point in my opinion. We're not talking about the industry as a whole (Spotify is filled with new songs every Friday, new artists appear all the time). I think the point is about the era of pop music superstars is over. The last one we have left is probably Taylor.

Also, so many of these new artists can't even fill a theatre nevermind an arena or stadium.

People who use Taylor as proof that pop is healthy are so wrong. She debuted in the physical sales era, and built her fanbase in the digital era. Her brand is largely based on nostalgia for an era that no longer exists. Plus new megastars should be at her level.

20 minutes ago, Dephira said:

Tea

whats changed is the attention span of listeners

new artists struggle so hard for people to care

the fact that albums can be totally rejcted bar one song (which didnt used to happen as strongly)

6 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

People who use Taylor as proof that pop is healthy are so wrong. She debuted in the physical sales era, and built her fanbase in the digital era. Her brand is largely based on nostalgia for an era that no longer exists. Plus new megastars should be at her level.

I don't think Taylor is proof of a healthy pop industry as she's an outlier, I think she's an example of how it can still be done in the current era. Her marketing and commericals are literally insane. There's not many artists (if any) from her era doing the numbers she is, let's just be honest. She's adapted incredibly well.

I'm still skeptical that any artist in the 2020s will ever reach superstar level.

Unpopular opinion, but I'm kind of glad the era of the superstar is over. It was fun while it lasted, but the music was not as good-- I'm sorry. Artists like Ariana Grande, Kesha, Miley Cyrus, Carly Rae Jepsen, and Beyonce have released their BEST music during pop's renaissance. 

Renaissance > Sasha Fierce/B-Day/Dangerously in Love 

Plastic Hearts > Bangerz/Can't Be Tamed/Breakout/Meet Miley Cyrus

sweetener + thank u, next > Dangerous Woman/My Everything/Yours Truly 

Gag Order + High Road > Animal (and/or Cannibal), Warrior 

Dedicated/Dedicated Side B/The Loneliest (and Loveliest) Time > Kiss 

I also think this came at a time where female pop stars (the superstar era) were pitted against each other, unhealthy beauty standards were imposed onto pop women, and pop politics were very heteronormative. 

Edited by zasderfght
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 4

People who say this are just old fads that can’t comprehend the fact that they are becoming old and the world around them and entertainment culture constantlu changes. 

• Thanks 6
  • Thumbs Down 3

7 minutes ago, zasderfght said:

Unpopular opinion, but I'm kind of glad the era of the superstar is over. It was fun while it lasted, but the music was not as good-- I'm sorry. Artists like Ariana Grande, Kesha, Miley Cyrus, Carly Rae Jepsen, and Beyonce have released their BEST music during pop's renaissance. 

Renaissance > Sasha Fierce/B-Day/Dangerously in Love 

Plastic Hearts > Bangerz/Can't Be Tamed/Breakout/Meet Miley Cyrus

sweetener + thank u, next > Dangerous Woman/My Everything/Yours Truly 

Gag Order + High Road > Animal (and/or Cannibal), Warrior 

Dedicated/Dedicated Side B/The Loneliest (and Loveliest) Time > Kiss 

I also think this came at a time where female pop stars (the superstar era) were pitted against each other, unhealthy beauty standards were imposed onto pop women, and pop politics were very heteronormative. 

Wouldn’t it be great if Carly and Kesha had some mainstream recognition post-superstar era though girl? :skull:

I don’t think it’s dying but I think it’s changing drastically before our eyes. I also think labels need to fight AGAINST social media a little bit and make more stars than stand out against the norm but persist and eventually breakthrough thanks to great songs and incredible talent. They’re trying to fit into the mold too much, the greatest stars of all time shattered glass ceilings, broke expectations of what a popstar should and shouldn’t be, and exploded new trends onto the scene. 

A bit unrelated to that, but I also miss pure, undeniable and remarkable performance talent in music rn a LOT. I think it’s a major hole in music rn tbh. Majority of stars today are average performers. We need to spotlight stronger performers who will get people back to staying perched for live performances. More Beys, Gaga, Mileys, Shakiras, Dojas, The Weeknd’s, etc aka top notch performers.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

People who say this are just old fads that can’t comprehend the fact that they are becoming old and the world around them and entertainment culture constantlu changes. 

There’s an element of this, but the streaming era also has some objective negatives that we should be free to discuss. 

2 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

Wouldn’t it be great if Carly and Kesha had some mainstream recognition post-superstar era though girl? :skull:

I honestly rather both of them release great music than chase stardom. I do think that's what caused both artists to really hone in their craft. They don't (or, it seems like they don't) have the pressure to chase hits-- they just want to put out quality pop music, which is what they've continued to do. 

7 minutes ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

Literally so true. Especially the stans of one certain artist but I won't name her now. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Kayseri Mantisi said:

Literally so true. Especially the stans of one certain artist but I won't name her now. 

LADY GAGA?

• Thanks 4
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

Once again I am the Cassandra of ATRL, with literal music execs and industry analysts proving me right. FOMO ATRLers who are obsessed with looking cool will still act like there’s no problem though.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Saintlor said:

LADY GAGA?

Exactly, thank you. :clap3:

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Pop music is not dead. Just the way it’s consumed is different. 

MTV debuted in 1981 thus high budget videos were a thing at the time… and then again with the breakthrough of YouTube in the late 2000’s….. 

I think what he’s referring to is American artist are struggling to breakout and stay consistent cause the GP has started looking else where… 10 years ago Latin artist could only dream of having a Lady Gaga budget video and now artist like Bad Bunny are touring worldwide. Even BTS had the biggest tour of the early 2020’s and the first for a Korean act ever……

And now there’s 237373 rap girls when we only had Nicki for a long time….

I’m glad more artist are getting their shine as opposed to the same 5…. Just look at the 90’s….. it was the same few artist getting #1’s for YEARS. 

• Thumbs Down 1

Pop music has been “dying” for the last 40 years.  It is generally just people not coming to terms with change. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.