• Sylpher

• wish

• worldwide angel

• liquiddiamonds

i grew up on these bops

Spoiler

Edited by Vixen Eyes
  • Like 2

I think nowadays it just comes across as sophomoric and a tad bit cringe. But go off O-Rod :clap3:

Edited by Big Bad Wolf

1 hour ago, dangerousalex said:

When it's right it's right!

where is the rock? this is dance pop lol

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Pop/Rock is awesome. It’s also the genre every generation looks down upon the new one, so it doesn’t surprise me at all some 2000s fans don’t **** with Olivia. I like Liv. she brings cool 90s and 00s references from the sound with an earnest and witty mix in the lyrics which sets her apart. Dan is a great producer and they take stuff like Avril/Michelle Branch and then add a switch from stuff like Sleater-Kinney and Yeah Yeah Yeahs, which were worlds apart in the 2000s unless you were named Liz Phair. She’s legit the result of growing up with a gen x rock parent in a poptimist era lol People that think that what she does is just what Miley, Hilary did need to re-listen to their records because they were polished af and little like Olivia’s

Guitars from GUTS are way more indebted to stuff like this than 2000s disney

Edited by liquiddiamonds
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Rock and pop rock are probably my most listened to genre and subgenre overall. Generally prefer it to synth, disco, EDM and "pure" pop.

Edited by Gladiator
  • Like 1

I perfer it over normal pop

Maggie lindemann is my main *****  :heart:

I mean Pop rock & Aussie rap are my main and most played genre and time to time ill listen to the other genres. 

I like artists trying the genre but it get real repetitive most of the time.

I grew up listening to Hilary, Avril and Kelly :jonny5:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, liquiddiamonds said:

Pop/Rock is awesome. It’s also the genre every generation looks down upon the new one, so it doesn’t surprise me at all some 2000s fans don’t **** with Olivia. I like Liv. she brings cool 90s and 00s references from the sound with an earnest and witty mix in the lyrics which sets her apart. Dan is a great producer and they take stuff like Avril/Michelle Branch and then add a switch from stuff like Sleater-Kinney and Yeah Yeah Yeahs, which were worlds apart in the 2000s unless you were named Liz Phair. She’s legit the result of growing up with a gen x rock parent in a poptimist era lol People that think that what she does is just what Miley, Hilary did need to re-listen to their records because they were polished af and little like Olivia’s

Guitars from GUTS are way more indebted to stuff like this than 2000s disney

Very well-said. It's crazy to me how different the worlds of the Avril Lavigne & co. and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs were considered in the 2000s, considering to me the polishing and lack of big choruses is the only difference. That is why the reaction to Liz Phair's 2003 album is so shocking to me even now, because I don't see it as that big of a departure from her earlier albums, just more polished and less personal.

• Like 1

Olivia did what now?

People can't be THAT uneducated...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Most of it comes off as bratty and puerile, like the musical equivalent of a girl shouting "you don't understand mom! It's not a phase!"

• Like 1

as long as taylor doesn't start doing it, the pop rock trend can continue:giraffe:

• Like 1

Idk. It kind of takes the worst parts of both genres innovation wise and blends it into a meh-pool of music

Love stuff like No Doubt tho

i like it when it's done right

like a good pop rock song can hit SO hard (demi did it when she first came out and in more recent cases you have happier than ever by billie -- of course you have avril and kelly but those are too long ago) and i'd be down for someone to bring it back and put their own twist to it the same way billie did

olivia is not that

Edited by bync

12 hours ago, Pop Life said:

Most of it comes off as bratty and puerile, like the musical equivalent of a girl shouting "you don't understand mom! It's not a phase!"

You listen to Alanis, P!nk, or Paramore and think that?

• Like 1

Early 2000s pop rock was so great, I miss it 

• Like 1

it's cute but it gets reductive real quick :deadbanana2:  indie/alternative rock >

6 hours ago, Sylpher said:

You listen to Alanis, P!nk, or Paramore and think that?

I said most.

But some of Paramore's earlier stuff, yes :michael:

7 hours ago, worldwide angel said:

it's cute but it gets reductive real quick :deadbanana2:  indie/alternative rock >

Yeah but to be fair indie/alternative rock can suddenly become pop rock if it's successful like Goatye, Paramore, Greenday, early Coldplay, so I don't exactly view them as completely different genres.

Edited by Sylpher
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Sylpher said:

Yeah but to be fair indie/alternative rock can suddenly become pop rock if it's successful like Goatye, Paramore, Greenday, early Coldplay, so I don't exactly view them as completely different genres.

very true as well 

but the indie rock girls that stay indie :jonny6:

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.