Were you expecting Taylor's level of success for Gaga?

shyboi

Were you expecting Taylor's level of success for Gaga?  

190 members have voted

1. 1. Were you expecting Taylor's level of success for Gaga?

• Yes.
    • No.

On 9/4/2023 at 6:22 AM, Kimbra said:

The writing was on the wall when Adele blew up in the mainstream and Lana in the underground as the anti-gaga.

Oop I didn’t even see this when I wrote my above post

Did not mean to plagiarise almost word for word, spill :clap3: 

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shyboi

• GraceRandolph

• better than revenge

• EmailMySwift

3 hours ago, modeblock said:

No, but I did expect more than 1 1/2 successful eras. Thank God for Bradley Cooper. :clap3: 

The Fame, The Fame Monster, Born This Way, A Star is Born, Chromatica. Way more than one era. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Digitalism said:

By the time the alejandro music video came out I knew she would start to fade.

yep, that's it exactly.  And when Born This Way came out at 3am and was played twice in a row, I knew it even more.  There was tremendous hype, even I stayed up till the wee hours anxiously waiting.  But upon hearing BTW it was a letdown.  Still good, but nothing like TFM.  Judas sealed the deal even more, and then after that it was like she was playing catch-up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spree said:

yep, that's it exactly.  And when Born This Way came out at 3am and was played twice in a row, I knew it even more.  There was tremendous hype, even I stayed up till the wee hours anxiously waiting.  But upon hearing BTW it was a letdown.  Still good, but nothing like TFM.  Judas sealed the deal even more, and then after that it was like she was playing catch-up.

BTW was a good choice imo. Look how it became THE anthem. That song changed some people's lives. It happened for a reason. 

Edited by shyboi

No because Gaga always took actual risks in her career while Taylor plays it safe. 

Edited by pablozedd
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, EmailMySwift said:

No. 

1. Taylor is a smarter businesswoman. 

2. Taylor is more ambitious. 

3. Taylor is more prolific. 

4. Taylor understands the universal power of pop music, Gaga does not. 

5. Taylor is a more talented musician. That doesn't mean more talented singer or performer. She makes better music. 

6. Gaga did things like wear meat and get vomited on. You will instantly and forever repel a portion of the audience. 

200.gif

I agree with all of this. Taylor has always been more ambitious and critically acclaimed, with a defined vision for her music career. 

Gaga’s highest album score on Metacritic is a 79. :rip: Taylor’s highest album score is a 91 and she has 6 albums with scores that are 80+. :clap3:

24 minutes ago, vuelve88 said:

I agree with all of this. Taylor has always been more ambitious and critically acclaimed, with a defined vision for her music career. 

Gaga’s highest album score on Metacritic is a 79. :rip: Taylor’s highest album score is a 91 and she has 6 albums with scores that are 80+. :clap3:

79 in 2009 is an 85+ today.

28 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

79 in 2009 is an 85+ today.

spacer.png

Unconvincing logic. :gaycat: That 79 was for Chromatica in 2020. :heart:

0 Album of the Year Grammys in 2009 still equal 0 Album of the Year Grammys in 2023. :gaycat4:

spacer.png

Edited by vuelve88
  • Haha 1

Gaga success bases a lot on gimmick which will make people tired fast.

While Taylor also use the gimmick, she knows how to build a fanbase that literally grow up with her music and besides the gimmick the music has always been great and connect well with the audience on a personal level.

Edited by chiliam

6 hours ago, GraceRandolph said:

Is Taylor really more ambitious than Gaga though? I’d say Taylor has never been more ambitious than early Gaga. Gaga performed in an IKEA parking lot, collabed with Polaroid, planned a joint tour with Kanye, launched a social media site, campaigned against DADT, wrote a song for Cher, feuded with Madonna, and released a politically charged album before her career was even five years old. 

Taylor literally made herself happen.

By demand her parents to moved to Nashville at age 12 and then she and her mom knock on every record labels.

Then she meet Scoot and they literally build Big Machine label  from the ground.

In daytime, Her mom drive her around all the radio stations literally begging them to play Tim McGraw. In daytime, she performed at coffee shops, bars and begging the audience to request her songs to the radio. And she did all this when just 16.

So in early days, both Taylor/Gaga is ambitious but with times, now Taylor is the only wants who still got it. While with Gaga it`s kinda fading or she put her ambition into acting or somthing.

Yes.  In 2008-2010, I though for sure that Gaga was the next great pop star, not Taylor.  Both were extremely hardworking and had breakout success but I thought Gaga would be the one with the consistency successful eras into the next decade.  

On 9/3/2023 at 7:41 PM, Trent W said:

Gaga was never meant to be as big as Taylor because she built herself over gimmicks, costumes and fabricated scandals

Her run was always going to be more limited with those bases.

She would have definitely have a lot more longevity if she built her career with her talent in singing and getting better at songwriting.

If her career had started with shallow in 2018 and she kept going that road she would have found an insane amount of acclaim and longevity 

Please, as if Gaga since the beginning of her career hasn't always showcased her talent as performer and vocalist in first with performing live and at the piano with doing acoustic versions of her dance songs, she has always proved her talent and value as artist with her more diverse performances, with her first two eras she was already a 5x Grammys winner with doing dance pop music and getting AOTY nominations when poptimism and rewarding that genre wasn't a thing yet, proving she was also taken seriously as artist.

People who choose to paid attention just to her costumes-visuals and not to the rest of what she was doing since the beginning, well that was their limit, not hers.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GraceRandolph said:

Is Taylor really more ambitious than Gaga though? 

Yes, one is performing on the biggest tour of all time for a record-breaking pop album. 

The other threw in the towel and has withdrawn into the comfort of singing jazz in Vegas. 

But I'm not going to entertain this Britney Stan's thread any longer, as I said there are enough anti-Taylor threads pitting her against everyone out of jealousy. 

• Thumbs Down 1

6 hours ago, GraceRandolph said:

The Fame, The Fame Monster, Born This Way, A Star is Born, Chromatica. Way more than one era. 

Dont bother with that Britney stan :bird:

14 hours ago, Axelios said:

Was Gaga doing the biggest tour of all time during her peak?

Anti-Hero is not as big globally as just dance let alone poker face

And the tour is an 'eras' tour so its like a greatest hits with combined albums. TFM is one era re-issue. Gaga was everywhere, had iconic vmas (something Taylor cannot do as she is not a natural performer or singer) like madonna wedding dress and Britney snake.

Gaga was also bigger in asia and europe than the USA at her peak.  Taylor only has one single 'IDWLF' that gave global tea
trish!.thumb.jpg.23f5984ba5b0c7667ed15e9

Edited by Mr. Stratus
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Mr. Stratus said:

And the tour is an 'eras' tour so its like a greatest hits with combined albums. TFM is one era re-issue. Gaga was everywhere, had iconic vmas (something Taylor cannot do as she is not a natural performer or singer) like madonna wedding dress and Britney snake.

Gaga was also bigger in asia and europe than the USA at her peak.  Taylor only has one single 'IDWLF' that gave global tea

Gaga had bigger hits but that doesn't make her bigger than Taylor overall. Noone cares about "iconic" moments. The fact that all of Taylor discography is smashing right now is what's impressive most popstars peak during their first few years and their discography is quickly forgotten. What Taylor is doing is much more special.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Mr. Stratus said:

Omg… iconic performances… again. :rip: 

Musician’s music being actually consumed > everything else. :cooldown:

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Mr. Stratus said:

:rip: First of all, this thread is about overall career success not about who has bigger hits or bigger peak. Taylor is the biggest artist debut in 21st century and anyone deny that is delusional. Gaga has the biggest debut era of this century and since then 95% of her solo project is a flop/underperformance, there is literally no comparison between these two and this is not the OP asked about:rip:

13 hours ago, GraceRandolph said:

Taylor has released plenty of horrible singles that did well (Shake It Off, ME!, LWYMMD) and her career surged. Good music is only one part of a larger equation. 

It wasn’t until she course corrected with folklore/evermore that people took her seriously as an artist. So idk what ur point is here 

They’re both a list so I don’t get the question 

Gaga’s peak was HUMONGOUS. Gaga just did too much too so fast in a way. I remember Janet speaking about her and saying the road she is on is gonna be hard to keep up and it did happen 

53 minutes ago, HappierJealousy said:

:rip: First of all, this thread is about overall career success not about who has bigger hits or bigger peak. Taylor is the biggest artist debut in 21st century and anyone deny that is delusional. Gaga has the biggest debut era of this century and since then 95% of her solo project is a flop/underperformance, there is literally no comparison between these two and this is not the OP asked about:rip:

Well then quote that pressed madonna stan who brought up the 15 in one eras tour, not me :alexz3:

51 minutes ago, yonsé said:

It wasn’t until she course corrected with folklore/evermore that people took her seriously as an artist. So idk what ur point is here 

and Gaga had to do this as well - MPG as they age are seen as panned and they need a big shake-up to rectify this.

ATRL is stuck on thinking that we are in 90s/2000s where they can put out silly pop songs

Foklore and C2C-Joane-AHS are building a different perception to public and also new genre/audience to go into

On 9/4/2023 at 12:20 AM, shyboi said:

y'all corny with that polarizing ****

i get it, but it's like y'all just learned that word.

That's the literal answer to your question, calling it 'polarizing' or 'controversial', whatever word you prefer but that is the concept to your thread, both have different brands and consequently target audiences, one has always had the classic relatable American blonde next door girl imagine with consequent relatable songs about love-breaks up, the other had a total different kind of imagine and music with a further consenquence of having different careers paths and trajectories.

What Gaga did in her first 3 years of career equal to a full 10 years, she was everywhere no stop, it was just a matter of time before the audience would have got tired along with that genre of music losing popularity, but this site still don't get that was also her salvation with happening in a moment in which she was still in time to prove her talent in other venues or with a different kind of music like she did, when there was still attention to what she was doing, if that would have happened later in her career, it might have been too late for her.

Personally, I was never expecting that Gaga would have became an Oscar nominated actress at her first movie and to become successful and taken seriously in that field.

At the end of the day, Gaga might not do Taylor's numbers, nobody does, but they currently both remains between the most successful international female artists.

2 hours ago, Mr. Stratus said:

. Gaga was everywhere, had iconic vmas (something Taylor cannot do as she is not a natural performer or singer) like madonna wedding dress and Britney snake.

Congrats? :ahh:

2 hours ago, FreeXone said:

They’re both a list so I don’t get the question 

Gaga’s peak was HUMONGOUS. Gaga just did too much too so fast in a way. I remember Janet speaking about her and saying the road she is on is gonna be hard to keep up and it did happen 

No one said one is A-List and the other don't?

Gaga and controversy / risk go hand in hand. Mass market success to the level of Taylor means things need to be sanitized to a degree that was never going to happen with her. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.