Were you expecting Taylor's level of success for Gaga?

shyboi

Were you expecting Taylor's level of success for Gaga?  

190 members have voted

1. 1. Were you expecting Taylor's level of success for Gaga?

• Yes.
    • No.

1 minute ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

Gaga would have eventually had this moment in her career if she was consistent and unapologetically herself. After ARTPOP Gaga lost all her cool-factor. She cared too much about criticism and public outrage. Madonna never gave a **** and she just continued. She stuck to her vision. If Gaga continued making quality albums like BTW every two years after ARTPOP she would've been the biggest female artist. 

This is also very true. 

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shyboi

• GraceRandolph

• better than revenge

• EmailMySwift

No? People were always turned off by her avant-garde approach to her performances and art. They thought she was weird. It wasn’t until that sound of music at the Oscar’s moment that the GP finally got it. She was never going to have the success of someone as universal and G-rated as Taylor

Edited by yonsé
  • Like 1

Just now, shyboi said:

Queen Beyoncé too, she can sell albumes  stadiums and everything in between. 

I'd say Rihanna but she never really went hard into touring.

Well yeah but in terms of the general appeal they have, I honestly feel like Bey has never catered to such a big part of the society and that's ok (maybe only in the Sasha Fierce era). She's too powerful and confident for the average person to identify with her tbh. She also represents a different part of society and that's why even some of her fans call her underrated. Not everyone can appreciate who she is also because of racism, sadly.

For instance, I live in Mexico and it's not like we're the standard but the only females with more than 2 sold-out shows in a row in Foro Sol are Madge, Britney, Gaga, and Taylor (the latter with the most of them all). Bey has never had that. She only came once in 2013 to a smaller venue and I didn't even know she did at the time lol. She's also on the exact line between powerhouse vocalist and pop-star so I really don't know how we could categorize her.

Rihanna was huge yeah, she definitely had the potential to be up there instead of Taylor and has even been called the "Black Madonna". We all know what happened with her...

Gaga’s peak years were objectively bigger so who cares

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

6 minutes ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

Gaga would have eventually had this moment in her career if she was consistent and unapologetically herself. After ARTPOP Gaga lost all her cool-factor. She cared too much about criticism and public outrage. Madonna never gave a **** and she just continued. She stuck to her vision. If Gaga continued making quality albums like BTW every two years after ARTPOP she would've been the biggest female artist. 

Sadly, I think it's true. Madge also had some less successful eras but she always bounced back. Nonetheless, I think the hate and pressure Gaga faced was way harder because of social media and even Madonna herself, who never really supported her until she won an Oscar lol.

Edited by Disconnect

3 minutes ago, Disconnect said:

Well yeah but in terms of the general appeal they have, I honestly feel like Bey has never catered to such a big part of the society and that's ok (maybe only in the Sasha Fierce era). She's too powerful and confident for the average person to identify with her tbh. She also represents a different part of society and that's why even some of her fans call her underrated. Not everyone can appreciate who she is also because of racism, sadly.

For instance, I live in Mexico and it's not like we're the standard but the only females with more than 2 sold-out shows in a row in Foro Sol are Madge, Britney, Gaga, and Taylor (the latter with the most of them all). Bey has never had that. She only came once in 2013 to a smaller venue and I didn't even know she did at the time lol. She's also on the exact line between powerhouse vocalist and pop-star so I really don't know how we could categorize her.

Rihanna was huge yeah, she definitely had the potential to be up there instead of Taylor and has even been called the "Black Madonna". We all know what happened with her...

Beyoncé could easily have 4 sold out dates at the foro sol if she ever comes to México. If Lana did two, Beyoncé could have 3 or 4. 

Edited by shyboi

2 minutes ago, airplane said:

Gaga’s peak years were objectively bigger so who cares

Taylor has like multiple million-unit first weeks. She was always bigger…

Gaga was too controversial. 

Gaga didn’t find a good balance and was doing too much for shock value at the time. 

Just now, yonsé said:

Taylor is obviously bigger but Taylor doesn't have an album that is bigger than The Fame Monster

Just now, yonsé said:

Using frontloaded first week sales as a metric for measurement :bibliahh:

Bye

I don't think Gaga could have ever gotten bigger than what she did during Born This Way era. She absolutely dominated in a way that isn't sustainable. Yes it feels like Taylor is everywhere and everything right now, and it's hella impressive, but she too will inevitably decline. It's how the pop game works. 

1 minute ago, shyboi said:

"In years to come" 

Ok I get it but how could anyone have predicted the streaming era, which would ultimately make it 'possible' for all songs from an album to chart on the Hot 100? I don't think it was possible in 2008-2011 to have multiple songs on Hot 100 that weren't singles? At least not all from the album? I don't understand who would have expected Gaga to do that even in the future, as it seemed like something impossible

1 minute ago, shyboi said:

Beyoncé has never come to México but she could easily have 4 sold out dates at the foro sol if she ever comes. If Lana did two, Beyoncé could have 3 or 4. 

Beyoncé HAS come to Mexico:

She performed to an audience of 19,107 people back in 2013, during the The Mrs. Carter Show World Tour. Get your facts right lol.

IDK I guess we'll see. Lana has always been huge here and this last time was already like her 5th or 6th visit to the country. 

1 minute ago, yonsé said:

Maybe in the US but Gaga was bigger WW. You couldn’t escape her. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, better than revenge said:

Ok I get it but how could anyone have predicted the streaming era, which would ultimately make it 'possible' for all songs from an album to chart on the Hot 100? I don't think it was possible in 2008-2011 to have multiple songs on Hot 100 that weren't singles? At least not all from the album? I don't understand who would have expected Gaga to do that even in the future, as it seemed like something impossible

Regardless of what the future was holding, my point is that i expected Gaga to be the TOP ALPHA FEMALE POP QUEEN in the future pop landscape, regardless of everything. I expected her to adapt, change, evolve and always be on TOP. 

Even without knowing about streaming or other changes in the industry. I don't know if i make myself clear now.

Edited by shyboi
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Disconnect said:

Beyoncé HAS come to Mexico:

She performed to an audience of 19,107 people back in 2013, during the The Mrs. Carter Show World Tour. Get your facts right lol.

IDK I guess we'll see. Lana has always been huge here and this last time was already like her 5th or 6th visit to the country. 

I can't believe it, I was kid back then. Well, I think her team was very naive, she could have easily sold out foro sol.

In 2013 she was already a legend.

19 minutes ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

93f.jpg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, airplane said:

Using frontloaded first week sales as a metric for measurement :bibliahh:

Bye

No Taylor album was as frontloaded as BTW :rip:

2 hours ago, Feanor said:

During Taylor's country days (2008-11)? No, I wouldn't have expected it, simply due to the limited global appeal of the genre. 

But once Taylor actively started moving into the pop sphere in 2012-13, the signs were all there, hence why we also got this cover in 2013:

BZUbSVnCQAAhzki.jpg:large

:lakitu:

Magazine covers use to be so messy :ahh: remember when Nicki had one that said First Lady (Gaga) of Hip-hop 

Gaga was never going to be on top like Taylor, she’s too polarising. I think when she came out, the GP of the time were tired of the safe girl shtick and wanted something fresh. Even the girls that were “sexy” and “provocative” had a Madonna-***** complex, where they would just say it’s a part of a persona and in reality they were shy and boring. Gaga was not that. I remember being in middle school and high school and seeing videos of Gaga going viral for advocating for gay rights and stuff like that. She made a real impact on people, like Madonna did. But eventually the GP always turn on you for the same reason, which is why most stay tame. The blank canvas allows for people to paint their own vision onto you, which allows for longevity. 

• Like 1

No because she’s too polarizing. Straight people only play her early party hits (they put them on their playlists) and a lot of the gays abandoned her after Born This Way and jumped ship to Taylor.

Gaga is in her own lane, she still has a dedicated fanbase and GP approval (not as much as some of her other peers, admittedly) but she’s not destined to be the woman on top of the game. That ship has passed and plus the music scene values lowkey subdued music, chillout music so to speak, way more now than the grandiose theater image that Gaga has right now

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Love Again said:

No because she’s too polarizing. Straight people only play her early party hits (they put them on their playlists) and a lot of the gays abandoned her after Born This Way and jumped ship to Taylor.

Gaga is in her own lane, she still has a dedicated fanbase and GP approval (not as much as some of her other peers, admittedly) but she’s not destined to be the woman on top of the game. That ship has passed and plus the music scene values lowkey subdued music, chillout music so to speak, way more now than the grandiose theater image that Gaga has right now

world-of-dance-jlo.gif

10 minutes ago, BOOMBAYAH said:

Gaga was never going to be on top like Taylor, she’s too polarising. I think when she came out, the GP of the time were tired of the safe girl shtick and wanted something fresh. Even the girls that were “sexy” and “provocative” had a Madonna-***** complex, where they would just say it’s a part of a persona and in reality they were shy and boring. Gaga was not that. I remember being in middle school and high school and seeing videos of Gaga going viral for advocating for gay rights and stuff like that. She made a real impact on people, like Madonna did. But eventually the GP always turn on you for the same reason, which is why most stay tame. The blank canvas allows for people to paint their own vision onto you, which allows for longevity. 

Yeah there’s also a big difference between the 2009-2011 era and now. Pop was running stale around 2008 and it was in this weird middle ground between the end of the Timbaland sound and the start of the electropop/EDM craze. Gaga spearheaded that craze but that sound was always destined to die out quickly, dance music never stays on top for a whole decade. We’ve seen it with disco, synth-pop, new jack swing, etc. She wasn’t destined to stay on top for a long time due to the music she made

She never released a song as good as Poker Face, Bad Romance or Just Dance TBH aside from antics she just couldn't replicate what she did.  

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.