Were you expecting Taylor's level of success for Gaga?

shyboi

Were you expecting Taylor's level of success for Gaga?  

190 members have voted

1. 1. Were you expecting Taylor's level of success for Gaga?

• Yes.
    • No.

I expected her to have Baby Shark/Psy/Harlem Shake career-trajectory and it turns out i was right

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shyboi

• GraceRandolph

• better than revenge

• EmailMySwift

No.

Gaga’s persona/career is about not playing it safe, pushing boundaries, and making uncomfortable and taboo things cool. She reinvents herself and does very well in the commercial market. 

• Like 10

25 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

The song is called Enigma. 

Turnin' up emotional faders
Keep repeating self-hating phrases
I have heard enough of these voices
Almost like I have no choice
This is biological stasis
My mood's shifting to manic places
Wish I laughed and kept the good friendships
Watch life, here I go again

I can't see me cry
Can't see me cry ever again

I’m aware. :heart: Despite being released 3 years ago, it’s only getting 11,000 daily streams, so I guess its lyrics and message didn’t particularly connect with listeners. :gaycat:

8 minutes ago, vuelve88 said:

I’m aware. :heart: Despite being released 3 years ago, it’s only getting 11,000 daily streams, so I guess its lyrics and message didn’t particularly connect with listeners. :gaycat:

Are you serious Swift stan? Your girl released Me! and you’re coming for Gaga’s lyrics? And since when does the GP solely care about lyrical content? Half of what charts isn’t lyric focused at all. 

• Haha 1

Just now, GraceRandolph said:

Are you serious Swift stan? Your girl released Me! and you’re coming for Gaga’s lyrics? And since when does the GP solely care about lyrical content? Half of what charts isn’t lyric focused at all. 

You should create a poll comparing Taylor and Gaga as lyricists, if you feel so confident about it. :heart: :gaycat4:

According to Google trends, pure data not delusion, Gaga's peak of interest was twice as big as Taylor's peak and lasted 2 years, so the question is, will Taylor reach that level? according to the numbers, Adele's 25 was the closest thing to that level of interest. In pure sales we know Taylor in not touching Adele, so that leaves streaming for taylor, you just can't have it all.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, vuelve88 said:

You should create a poll comparing Taylor and Gaga as lyricists, if you feel so confident about it. :heart: :gaycat4:

I already have. Gaga creates better melodies anyway, and demolishes Tay in every other conceivable performing arts talent so why are you so smug? :rip: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, tshwark said:

According to Google trends, pure data not delusion, Gaga's peak of interest was twice as big as Taylor's peak and lasted 2 years, so the question is, will Taylor reach that level? according to the numbers, Adele's 25 was the closest thing to that level of interest. In pure sales we know Taylor in not touching Adele, so that leaves streaming for taylor, you just can't have it all.

And Gaga doesn't have either Adele or Taylor pure sales nor streaming so I guess she is even smaller.

1 hour ago, Feanor said:

During Taylor's country days (2008-11)? No, I wouldn't have expected it, simply due to the limited global appeal of the genre. 

But once Taylor actively started moving into the pop sphere in 2012-13, the signs were all there, hence why we also got this cover in 2013:

BZUbSVnCQAAhzki.jpg:large

:lakitu:

This is still so crazy to me. Like I was there at 2012-2013 and I never felt like Tay was that big but maybe it's because she's never been my cup of tea. Congrats to her on making it this big though 

1 hour ago, better than revenge said:

No, it was expected that her peak would be short-lived. People grew tired of her scandalous persona, even she grew tired of it, it was predictable. 

The Top 10 on the Billboard Hot 100 is quite different now compared to the past. We're currently in the streaming era, which has made it easier for these songs to chart. I don't know who expected Gaga to do that 10 years ago.

As much as a huge fan I was, this is totally true, my dad used to say it all the time lol.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, vuelve88 said:

“Wrapped in shadows, my heart races
Dragon's eyes watch, goddess breathing
Give me something to believe in”

spacer.png

:gaycat7:

“I'm sour candy, so sweet then I get a little angry, yeah
Sour candy, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah
I'm super psycho, make you crazy when I turn the lights low
Sour candy, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah

Take a bite, take a bite
So-sour candy
Take a bite, take a bite
So-sour candy
Take a bite, take a bite
So-sour candy
Take a bite, take a bite
Sour candy”

spacer.png

If I had a painter's mind, then I would paint it
Or a sculptor's hands, then I would shape it
But instead, I guess I'll sing it in this song

Keep my dolls inside diamond boxes
Save 'em 'til I know I'm gon' drop this
Front I've built around my oasis
Paradise is in my hands
Holdin' on so tight to this status
It's not real, but I'll try to grab it
Keep myself in beautiful places
Paradise is in my hands

Every single day, yeah, I dig a grave
Then I sit inside it wondering if I'll behave
It's a game I play and I hate to say
You're the worst thing and the best thing that's happened to me

Songs like Stupid Garb or Sour Candy don't undermine the fact there are a lot of personal lyrics on Chromydia

1 hour ago, better than revenge said:

You mean if she had her peak in the 2020s? Well, many artists would have charted all their songs in the Top 10 before Taylor if streaming had been a thing during their peaks.

Damn, you're slow to understand things uh? This thread is about the expectations for Gaga's career as a whole. Not for her peak. Not for a specific moment. For her whole career. 

Edited by Badgalbriel
  • Thumbs Down 1

3 minutes ago, Badgalbriel said:

Damn, you're slow to understand things uh?

Wow what a mean and unnecessary comment

3 minutes ago, Badgalbriel said:

This thread is about the expectations for Gaga's career as a whole. Not for her peak. Not for a specific moment. I for her whole career. 

''Were you expecting'' in the title, it took it as it's about her peak. Anyways, it's really not that deep

Edited by better than revenge

2 minutes ago, better than revenge said:

Wow what a mean comment

''Were you expecting'' in the title, it means it's about her peak

Exactly. People are asking if back in 2008 people were expecting Gaga to have a career that followed a successful trajectory, like Taylor's. 

You kept talking about a 2008 peak then about "if her peak happened in the 2020s instead of 2008".

People in here coming for Gaga, lol I mean NO and NO.

The 1, 2, 3 punch that was The Fame, TFM and BTW from 2008 to 2011 is not to be underestimated AT ALL, Gaga was HUGE at that point, way bigger than Madonna or any other artist (male or female) at the time. She didn't have such huge streaming numbers because it was not a thing yet and neither was touring. She blew up in the exact middle of the transition from Physical to Digital music and that's why her success is best measured by the huge cultural impact she had on people and even other artists who completely changed their style/aesthetics in order to fit the new trend set by her (all of her contemporaries and there's plenty of evidence to prove it).

If anything Taylor is just as big as Gaga was, not bigger. The only difference between them is that TS has been able to stay relevant for a longer period of time and has also been able to make more profit out of her success.

The biggest female pop acts of all time are: Madge, Brtiney, Gaga and Taylor and honestly no one else comes close to their highest level of success. They were all huge in their own terms. THE DIFFERENCE with Taylor is that, out of all of them, she's the one who's handled it the best. She's a genius, yes, but she ALSO peaked in a time when all of the other 3 had already struggled with issues and broken barriers that now don't exist anymore, thanks exactly to them (Madge with women empowerment and sexuality, Britney with the paparazzi and media and Gaga with the LGBTQ+ rights). Had they never fought against those issues, Taylor would've had a much harder path to go through.

PS: There are of course also Aretha, Babara, Mariah, Whitney, Celine, Amy and Adele, but they're on a totally different lane of powerhouse vocalists without the popstar appeal or value the others have.

Edited by Disconnect
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Badgalbriel said:

Damn, you're slow to understand things uh? This thread is about the expectations for Gaga's career as a whole. Not for her peak. Not for a specific moment. I for her whole career. 

3 minutes ago, better than revenge said:

Wow what a mean comment

I think user @better than revenge is a doll and have good intentions but I was so confused too why they were not getting the main point.

I started thinking that maybe I wasn't very clear but everyone else seemed to get it so i just went along with it and try to get their pov lol

Just now, Badgalbriel said:

Exactly. People are asking if back in 2008 people were expecting Gaga to have a career that followed a successful trajectory, like Taylor's. 

You kept talking about a 2008 peak then about "if her peak happened in the 2020s instead of 2008".

You took my comment out of context. No one would have ever expected Lady Gaga to dominate the entire Top 10 on the Hot 100 in 2023, just as no one would have expected her to achieve this feat in 2008. The only way to make sense of this is to view it as her experiencing a peak during the streaming era.

I can't believe that this is a valid reason for you to call someone ''slow''. Truly disgusting behavior. 

• Like 1

Just now, better than revenge said:

You took my comment out of context. No one would have ever expected Lady Gaga to dominate the entire Top 10 on the Hot 100 in 2023, just as no one would have expected her to achieve this feat in 2008. The only way to make sense of this is to view it as her experiencing a peak during the streaming era.

I can't believe that this is a valid reason for you to call someone ''slow''. Truly disgusting behavior. 

But that's still not the question. The question is not about specific achievements. 

8 minutes ago, Disconnect said:

The biggest female pop acts of all time are: Madge, Brtiney, Gaga and Taylor

Queen Beyoncé too, she can sell albumes  stadiums and everything in between. Plus her cultural impact is on another level.

I'd say Rihanna but she never really went hard into touring.

Edited by shyboi

1 minute ago, Badgalbriel said:

But that's still not the question. The question is not about specific achievements. 

The author literally mentioned this in his original post - ''it was not delusional to think she would be dominating the whole top 10 of the Billboard Hot 100'', so I replied to both - this and his question in the title. I really don't get your problem

• Like 1

Gaga would have eventually had this moment in her career if she was consistent and unapologetically herself. After ARTPOP Gaga lost all her cool-factor. She cared too much about criticism and public outrage. Madonna never gave a **** and she just continued. She stuck to her vision. If Gaga continued making quality albums like BTW every two years after ARTPOP she would've been the biggest female artist. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, better than revenge said:

''it was not delusional to think she would be dominating the whole top 10 of the Billboard Hot 100''

"In years to come" 

But yeah, it's ok, we are here to discuss music and have fun while doing it. We all love pop music so :heart:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.