Were you expecting Taylor's level of success for Gaga?

shyboi

Were you expecting Taylor's level of success for Gaga?  

190 members have voted

1. 1. Were you expecting Taylor's level of success for Gaga?

• Yes.
    • No.

Looking back 10 years ago, just before ARTPOP, I would 100% believe that Gaga's career path would be similar to what Taylor's is right now.

Gaga felt so big, it was not delusional to think she would be dominating the whole top 10 of the Billboard Hot 100, breaking MADONNA'S record for the biggest female tour ever and dominating every aspect of the entertainment industry in years to come. 

In all fairness, I think the injury changed the path of her career and made her focus on less physically demanding things like her movies and entrepreneurship.

Don't get me wrong, her career still impressive asf, but back then, i truly believed she would eventually become the music industry.

Edited by shyboi

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shyboi

• GraceRandolph

• better than revenge

• EmailMySwift

No, it was expected that her peak would be short-lived. People grew tired of her scandalous persona, even she grew tired of it, it was predictable. 

12 minutes ago, shyboi said:

top 10 of the Billboard Hot 100

The Top 10 on the Billboard Hot 100 is quite different now compared to the past. We're currently in the streaming era, which has made it easier for these songs to chart. I don't know who expected Gaga to do that 10 years ago.

Edited by better than revenge
  • Like 5
  • Thumbs Down 1

During Taylor's country days (2008-11)? No, I wouldn't have expected it, simply due to the limited global appeal of the genre. 

But once Taylor actively started moving into the pop sphere in 2012-13, the signs were all there, hence why we also got this cover in 2013:

BZUbSVnCQAAhzki.jpg:large

:lakitu:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 9

Just now, better than revenge said:

No, it was expected that her peak would be short-lived. People grew tired of her scandalous persona, it was predictable. 

The Top 10 on the Billboard Hot 100 is quite different now compared to the past. We're currently in the streaming era, which has made it easier for these songs to chart. I don't know who expected Gaga to do that.

Yes, but I meant Gaga owning the whole top 10 NOW, not 10 years ago. 

Lady Gaga is way too polarizing and controversial to have longevity and maintain her success. Taylor has a very clean and bland image.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Her first 3-4 years of domination were really as Taylors level now as impact. Just Taylor it's doing it after 20 years of career, not at the very beginning, so everything seems even bigger cause it's someone doing it when it was already cemented in pop culture. It's what happened to Springsteen with Born tin the USA or to MJ with thriller.

Anyway gaga career took another trajectory. Taylor is really focused on music, Gaga is taking a different road, while one wants to be remembered as the elton john - madoona of her generation the other one wants to be more like a Cher- a Barbra streisand etc.. And Gaga it's on a good way to make it...the Joker 2 will be a huge cultural event. Gaga is still one of the biggest star in the world, even if her pure recording career didn't became the "new madonna" as it seemed 15 years ago.

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1

Just now, shyboi said:

Yes, but I meant Gaga owning the whole top 10 NOW, not 10 years ago. 

You mean if she had her peak in the 2020s? Well, many artists would have charted all their songs in the Top 10 before Taylor if streaming had been a thing during their peaks.

No. Even when Gaga was on top from 2009 to 2011, I knew that the GP would get tired of the gimmicks and dresses very fast. And they did.

However, it was smart how she reinvented herself to show off her talents that her pop music didn't allow her to show very much.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, better than revenge said:

You mean if she had her peak in the 2020s? Well, many artists would have charted all their songs in the Top 10 before Taylor if streaming had been a thing during their peaks.

Maybe she will do it with her next album, who knows. Chromatica had several songs in the top 100.

6 minutes ago, Erreur2 La Nature said:

Lady Gaga is way too polarizing and controversial to have longevity and maintain her success. Taylor has a very clean and bland image.

True. Lady Gaga and other artists as well, like Britney, are too controversial for general public to support them the way they support Taylor. Taylor appeals to a broader range of people, including various age groups because her image is ''safe''. It's not a secret.

Edited by better than revenge

I sort of knew she would have her ups and downs as she constantly talked about the world “building up icons to tear them down” a lot. I thought she would chart better during artpop, was sad during Joanne (commercial performance and music wise), but when a star is born happened it was like ok she is just as capable as she was in 2010

3 minutes ago, shyboi said:

Maybe she will do it with her next album, who knows. Chromatica had several songs in the top 100.

Well, let's hope it will be lucky enough to break into the top 50.

I can't really imagine Gaga experiencing this level of success again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

Her first 3-4 years of domination were really as Taylors level now as impact. Just Taylor it's doing it after 20 years of career, not at the very beginning.

Totally, I agree.

11 minutes ago, Erreur2 La Nature said:

Madonna was controversial and managed to maintain great success. I just think Gaga moved in a musical direction that was just too out there for the GP + the injury

I was expecting Rihanna's post Loud success for Gaga before Artpop, TBH.

1989 is bigger than The Fame so no, very few were expecting Gaga to out peak her Poker Face era. 

As soon as BTW came out and especially after Judas I expected a major decline for her as her sound became increasingly reductive. :coffee:

13 minutes ago, Erreur2 La Nature said:

7 minutes ago, better than revenge said:

True. Lady Gaga and other artists as well, like Britney, are too controversial for general public to support them the way they support Taylor. Taylor appeals to a broader range of people, including various age groups because her image is ''safe''. It's not a secret.

Madonna was way more polarizing than Britney and Gaga and somehow she managed to keep herself on top for years until her real decline in the late 2000s.

1 minute ago, Redstreak said:

Madonna was controversial and managed to maintain great success. I just think Gaga moved in a musical direction that was just too out there for the GP + the injury

Not us posting the same at the same time, twinsies :bird:

• Like 1

Just now, Redstreak said:

Not really after 80s her controversy always backfired in sales like Erotica and  American Life.

Madonna reinvented herself musically in very genius manner after her 80's reign that helped her regain power. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.