does taylor deserve 50% of olivia's deja vu royalties?

Asscatchem

438 members have voted

1. 1. 1

• fair
    • not fair

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BlossomSoul

• WavesOfLust

• Cruel Summer

• Asscatchem

not when miss Taylor herself has plagiarized, I wish Lana would come for that greedy hag :celestial5:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Does it matter what we think? Their respective teams agreed to this for a reason (so despite some claiming the two songs sound nothing alike, clearly they do as Olivia/Taylor’s teams both think otherwise).

Also it’s not black and white that whoever writes more, earns more. Olivia’s publishing deal must be horrendous as she also gets next to nothing of the revenue of the other 2 sampled songs. 

Since she might be pissed at the situation and recently talked about knowing more about the legalities of songwriting and publishing, she probably thought saying Cruel Summer inspiring the bridge of deja vu was enough to justify not giving a credit. But it doesn’t work like that, which might’ve came as a shock to her.

Edited by Popboi.

• ATRL Moderator

I don't hear a similarity between the two songs, so I cannot understand why Taylor and her team need 50% of the royalties. It's a shame some artists in the music industry have become as shady and greedy as they are. 

NO!!!

it doesn't sound ANYTHING like Cruel Summer! the vocal melody has a rhythm for like 3 seconds that occurs 4 (?) times in the song that has a very passing resemblance to something for a second in Cruel Summer, so that's 12 seconds out of the song (at most, I haven't counted and don't feel like it). it is absolutely ridiculous to imply that that song copies Cruel Summer in any way :ace: as a songwriter this has always bothered me so f*cking much. songs have overlapping qualities and that doesn't mean they all need to be co-written by writers of other songs

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 9/2/2023 at 6:26 PM, moo said:

Deserves 100%. She made that ***** famous.

Baby girl please. Olivia came out swinging unlike Ms Taylor. Took 6 years of daddy’s checks bouncing until it finally cleared and she got that #1 song :thing:

• ATRL Moderator
7 hours ago, Popboi. said:

Their respective teams agreed to this for a reason

Probably to avoid a costly court battle with one of the most litigious pop stars in the industry. Doesn't make it right.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, supaspaz said:

Vampire.mp3 indeed!

A song where she takes a thinly-veiled dig at a famous enemy? Where have I seen that before? :eek: 

1 hour ago, rihannasbe$tfrnd said:

Baby girl please. Olivia came out swinging unlike Ms Taylor. Took 6 years of daddy’s checks bouncing until it finally cleared and she got that #1 song :thing:

In those 6 years of "daddy's checks bouncing" she released a 7x Plat, a Diamond and a 6x Plat albums... be serious :rip:

Edited by Popboi.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, EmailMySwift said:

A song where she takes a thinly-veiled dig at a famous enemy? Where have I seen that before? :eek: 

Oh okay! So now Taylor Swift has the monopoly on these kind of songs too? 

When stanning goes too far :rip:

Even if Olivia's team made the initial offer, it seems very unlikely it would have been for 50% for such a minor similarity.

Perhaps 10% might have been a more reasonable amount, which is what Taylor and Jack gave to Annie for her influence/inspiration/interpolation from "Cruel" that contributed to "Cruel Summer".

16 hours ago, Taylor fanboy said:

I blame Loser era!

reputation would never!

If i remember correctly Taylor was given credits for this song when the album came out. The other ones were not

• Like 1

• ATRL Moderator
17 hours ago, EmailMySwift said:

"You're So Vain" by Carly Simon? "Survivor" by Destiny's Child? "Obsessed" by Mariah Carey?

• Like 1

• ATRL Moderator

No, and it was always a horrible precedent. Same goes for G4U and Paramore. 

• Like 1

no

11 hours ago, BlossomSoul said:

If i remember correctly Taylor was given credits for this song when the album came out. The other ones were not

Yes! Organic impact and influence! Real art tend to do that. :clap3:

16 hours ago, Taylor fanboy said:

Yes! Organic impact and influence! Real art tend to do that. :clap3:

Point being that she was given credit from the start cause that was directly sampled/covered by Olivia. Deja Vu was neither a sample nor a cover and deserved to be left alone :toofunny3:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BlossomSoul said:

Point being that she was given credit from the start cause that was directly sampled/covered by Olivia. Deja Vu was neither a sample nor a cover and deserved to be left alone :toofunny3:

CORRECT. I blame Loser!

All I can say is that Lana Del Rey is really the standard of class and grace when it comes to be the bigger person in such situations. A true supporter of fellow female musicians :bird:

• Like 2

The Marvin Gaye case set an annoying precedent in popular music. This is what we get as a result. No, she didn’t. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.