does taylor deserve 50% of olivia's deja vu royalties?

Asscatchem

438 members have voted

1. 1. 1

• fair
    • not fair

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BlossomSoul

• WavesOfLust

• Cruel Summer

• Asscatchem

50% is a lot, but if that's true, then I bet it's cause the song was already released when the whole issue came up. It's much easier to get a higher percentage that way, cause the alternative for the artist is to take the song off streaming completely, which they obviously don't want do. In a way it's a lesson to always clear samples and try to prevent these kinds of issues before the song is actually out. And also, I'm not siding with anyone here - this is just my breakdown and thoughts on the situation.

Taylor didn't even get 50% why is misinformation allowed???

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

8 minutes ago, FolkLover1989 said:

Taylor didn't even get 50% why is misinformation allowed???

you're right. after taxes and expenses including studio time, employee payroll, etc. she's actually left with like 2% of deja vu's revenue to spare for herself

1 minute ago, Asscatchem said:

you're right. after taxes and expenses including studio time, employee payroll, etc. she's actually left with like 2% of deja vu's revenue to spare for herself

Ok lol

This thread wasn't needed in the first place when another thread was discussing same issue but again every kind of Taylor hate thread is allowed so good decision on your part ig 

9 hours ago, Kodak Energy said:

Yes it’s a lot, the royalty rates for samples are ridiculous but it’s a systemic problem in the music industry not a problem with Taylor Swift. 

But I was told Taylor Swift IS the music industry! 

• Haha 6

If true Taylor should give 80% of Wildest Dreams royalties to Lana :toofunny2:

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, FolkLover1989 said:

Ok lol

This thread wasn't needed in the first place when another thread was discussing same issue but again every kind of Taylor hate thread is allowed so good decision on your part ig 

You need to stop thinking everyone on here is obsessed with your fave and hates her. You just can’t fathom the fact that she has a shitty personality and is a common denominator in most of her fallouts. Take your stan goggles off for a moment and acknowledge that she ****** up. 

Like do you have the same energy for the constant spammy threads made about Taylor’s achievements nonstop or is it only reserved for the ones where she’s lashed? 

:heart:

Edited by airplane

I think the **** not 

Does Lana get 100% royalties from "Wildest Dreams" ?

If not ,someone DM Lana please cause we're on a plagiarism case here :celestial5:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dephira said:

We all know why :rip:

Same reason why ATRL will occasionally celebrate Enya taking 100% of the royalties to Ready or Not by The Fugees (which is absolutely crazy as that song had 7 writers who now get literally nothing), because she's a "girl boss" but not a threat to their faves on the charts. But once a woman becomes too powerful, ATRL gays will rush to take her down

Enya Theresonlyoneenya GIF - Enya Theresonlyoneenya ...

100% is extreme but they literally lifted the same beat and didn’t even ask her.  Olivia’s sounds nothing like Taylor’s, that’s why it’s a joke. 

We all know that Olivia giving credits left and right just to avoid any controversy during her Grammy campaign which is why Jack doesn't have a clue about this at first place. That being said get rich Taylor :gaycatney2:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mystic Boy said:

Does Lana get 100% royalties from "Wildest Dreams" ?

If not ,someone DM Lana please cause we're on a plagiarism case here :celestial5:

oh actually lana was too busy with her own plagiarism case against Radiohead so she co-wrote SOTB instead:rip:

It's definitely too much imo, but I'm sure Olivia weighed up the pros and cons and figured it would be more costly/damaging to go to court, and being so young (both in terms of age and career) she didn't really have a choice.

12 hours ago, Cruel Summer said:

Annie appears to be getting just 5%, yes. I would also agree that 50% cumulatively is a lot for the seemingly small contribution, but other examples have been posted that suggest that this amount is relatively standard for the industry, and we don’t really know how crucial that moment was in coming up with the rest of the song that isn’t inspired by Cruel Summer, so it’s very hard to say definitively that it’s too much if that’s just how things work with song credits. If it’s uncommonly high, then maybe we can lean toward it being unreasonably high, too.

11 hours ago, Tistotal said:

so the whole point remains, it's still 45% for Jack and Taylor :rip:

maybe it's what Olivia deserved for using this overrated song. Taylor has way better songs -even on lover- to use :eli:

For added context, Taylor could have more than 22.5% of publishing since her publishing splits vary by producer.

With Max's team, she usually had to split it evenly during Red & 1989. She seems to have negotiated higher splits during Reputation (because publishing is actually politics, not who put what to paper):
50% (Taylor) / 50% (Max/Shellback) - I Did Something Bad, King of My Heart
50% (Taylor) / 50% (Max/Johan) - Gorgeous

50% (Taylor) / 50% (Max) - All You Had To Do Was Stay
33% (Taylor) / 66% (Max/Shellback) - 22, Bad Blood, Blank Space, Delicate, How You Get The Girl, I Knew You Were Trouble, Message In A Bottle, New Romantics, Shake It Off, We Are Never Getting Back Together, Wildest Dreams, Wonderland

33% (Taylor) / 66% (Max/Johan) - Don't Blame Me

25% (Taylor) / 75% (Max/Shellback/Ali) - Style

25% (Taylor) / 75% (Max/Shellback/Oscar) - Dancing With Our Hands Tied

All of her credits with Aaron and someone like Ryan Tedder are split 50/50 for publishing.

But she has instances where the split is sometimes more-so in her favor and uneven:
60% (Taylor) / 20% (Joe Little / 20% (Brendon Urie) - Me!
90% (Taylor/Jack) / 10% (Annie) - Cruel Summer
85% (Taylor/Joe) / 15% (Justin) - Exile
80% (Taylor/Joe) / 20% (Justin) - Evermore
62.5% (Taylor) / 37.5% (Ed) - Everything Has Changed

I know some Swifties DO know how much her and Jack's splits are though despite them both being on BMI cause I know they also figured out that her splits with Liz Rose were something like 70& Taylor/30% Liz. :gaycat5:

For context, it seems like Olivia was set-up from the start by bad management because this was the publishing split that Olivia gave Taylor for interpolating New Years Day on 1 Step Forward, 3 Steps back:

33% Olivia / 66% (Taylor/Jack) :toofunny3:

• Like 1

18 hours ago, hawx23 said:

So, either:

1. Taylor can't reject the co-write credit (for whatever reason). Or,

2. She can reject the credit, but is choosing not to. 

Either way, a line from a bridge is not worth 50%. 

What line though? She was “inspired Taylors yelling vocal effects” I don’t see how it’s considered stealing a line or a melody💀

Edited by BlossomSoul
  • Like 1

What is SUS is Cruel Summer being pushed as a single right as Olivia’s new music comes out. Most people were like “Olivia copied WHAT song by Taylor? Never heard of Cruel Summer before.” It feels calculated and not innocent 

18 hours ago, Kodak Energy said:

I don’t understand why ATRL is so angry about Taylor getting half of deja vu but doesn’t seem to care about Paramore getting G4U, Ariana having to give away 90% of 7 rings, Stevie Nicks getting 50% of bootylicious and so on. 

Yes it’s a lot, the royalty rates for samples are ridiculous but it’s a systemic problem in the music industry not a problem with Taylor Swift. 

Because they were close and public friends and it makes the situation that much more juicy. Also add in the fact that the claims themselves are VERY much reaching

13 minutes ago, BlossomSoul said:

What is SUS is Cruel Summer being pushed as a single right as Olivia’s new music comes out. Most people were like “Olivia copied WHAT song by Taylor? Never heard of Cruel Summer before.” It feels calculated and not innocent 

It started to surge in streams due to being the tour opener and getting social media buzz, and then it started to catch on at pop radio before the label had even officially made it available for stations to add. Then, after all that, it was finally made a single - and one that still has no video, that never got a remix, and that Taylor essentially barely acknowledged. There’s just about zero chance that it was planned to coincide with Olivia’s release schedule.

10 minutes ago, Cruel Summer said:

It started to surge in streams due to being the tour opener and getting social media buzz, and then it started to catch on at pop radio before the label had even officially made it available for stations to add. Then, after all that, it was finally made a single - and one that still has no video, that never got a remix, and that Taylor essentially barely acknowledged. There’s just about zero chance that it was planned to coincide with Olivia’s release schedule.

It was her choice to make it the tour opener though. And she did promote it on Instagram as well as made it the trailer song for the movie. Spotifys “todays top hits” can be bought positions as well as the countless of playlists the song is in. I’m a swift fan and am

not saying this IS what happened but it also could be plausible. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Now the GP will know of the song Olivia “ripped off” you know? Just an idea 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.