does taylor deserve 50% of olivia's deja vu royalties?

Asscatchem

438 members have voted

1. 1. 1

• fair
    • not fair

Just now, Kodak Energy said:

The 90% of 7 rings’ royalties is accurate unfortunately. 

I meant it's an apples to orange context, even Ariana sung 90% for the win in monopoly 

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BlossomSoul

• WavesOfLust

• Cruel Summer

• Asscatchem

29 minutes ago, punisher said:

St Vincent needs to afford her rent somehow

Her work with the gorillaz blessed her enough 

"it's split 3 ways!!!" :rip: does it even matter? olivia is giving up half of deja vu revenue monthly to Taylor Swift Publishing.

h8LEYbf.png

Tired of white pop girl stans coming for minorities

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Clauss said:

Its 50% between the 3. And yes, if someone uses your art and not even acknowledges credit, you can even go to trial. She got it cheap

can't wait to see Lana's credit on Taylor's wildest dreams

Edited by Watson!
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The fact that Olivia has openly admitted to writing lyrics on-top of Taylor songs and people still act like this is some unbelievable overreach by Taylor and co. :rip:

We interpolated "New Year's Day," which is Taylor's song from Reputation. I came up with the "1 step forward" concept and I sort of wrote a verse and a chorus, and when I got home — I was in the car on a road trip, and when I got home, I decided to sing it over the chords of "New Year's Day." I think they're really beautiful chords. I was lucky enough to get that approved, and it's on the record now.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Kodak Energy said:

I don’t understand why ATRL is so angry about Taylor getting half of deja vu but doesn’t seem to care about Paramore getting G4U, Ariana having to give away 90% of 7 rings, Stevie Nicks getting 50% of bootylicious and so on. 

Yes it’s a lot, the royalty rates for samples are ridiculous but it’s a systemic problem in the music industry not a problem with Taylor Swift. 

do all of these use the feminism card every now and then?

I'm waiting to see what her sophomore album opens with, it's scary to begin a sophomore era and still have an imaged so attached to not only a musical idol of yours, but one who is still currently the biggest musical artist on earth.

I mean Gaga got alot of comparisons to Madonna, but by that point Madonna had eased into veteran status. Even then by the time she was on BTW, as much as the comparisons were drawn, the discussion around Madonna was minute to the mania around Gaga herself. You could say the same for Britney with Madonna and Janet, both of whom were still scoring hits along side Britney for a few years in the late 90's and very early 00's.

I'm no an Olivia fan but it'd be unfortunate for her album to fly under the radar because all anyone wants to discuss with her is Taylor Swift.

Edited by Planet Mars

No, the similarity was always a bit of a reach for this one. At least the Good 4 U - Misery Business comparisons seemed to hold more water.

50 minutes ago, Clauss said:

Its 50% between the 3. 

Come on now. The ASCAP listing shows Annie only gets 5% - they basically took the CS publishing split and applied it to this, since Annie gets 10% of publishing on Cruel Summer.

Do Jack and Taylor - if evenly split - each deserve 22.5% of royalties to the song, about as much as Olivia and Daniel would each have for writing and producing the whole thing?

Let alone what if the ratio is more in favor of Taylor? What if the CS splits are like Taylor 60%, Jack 30% and Annie 10%? Does Taylor deserve then 30% of Deja Vu and to be the main credited writer because a part of the bridge was inspired by her song? :toofunny3:

F2Id4Q9.png

Edited by Communion
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Planet Mars said:

I'm waiting to see what her sophomore album opens with, it's scary to begin a sophomore era and still have an imaged so attached to not only a musical idol of yours, but one who is still currently the biggest musical artist on earth.

I mean Gaga got alot of comparisons to Madonna, but by that point Madonna had eased into veteran status.

I'm no an Olivia fan but it'd be unfortunate for her album to fly under the radar because all anyone wants to discuss with her is Taylor Swift.

Honestly I thought Billie had it bad with HTE, but Olivia is being completely ignored other than being compared with Taylor lately.

Vampire was a hit but no one is talking about it

I can’t wait to see her opening numbers too just to see what’s really going on with her brand.

OT: Yes, they did rip off CS

Edited by Trent W

I don't understand how Taylor can reconcile her complaints about Scooter owning her music and then doing this (let alone her own plagiarized songs). Odd all-around.

• Like 4

yea but the plagiarist did the screamy part better i fear :lakitu:

• Haha 4

Paramore’s request for credit was warranted, IMO. Taylor’s was crazy, whether it came from Olivia’s camp or not credit was not due here.

Sounds nothing like Taylor’s. The fact they accepted it shows what they are like. Tay does not support women like she says. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Kodak Energy said:

I don’t understand why ATRL is so angry about Taylor getting half of deja vu but doesn’t seem to care about Paramore getting G4U, Ariana having to give away 90% of 7 rings, Stevie Nicks getting 50% of bootylicious and so on. 

Yes it’s a lot, the royalty rates for samples are ridiculous but it’s a systemic problem in the music industry not a problem with Taylor Swift. 

We all know why :rip:

Same reason why ATRL will occasionally celebrate Enya taking 100% of the royalties to Ready or Not by The Fugees (which is absolutely crazy as that song had 7 writers who now get literally nothing), because she's a "girl boss" but not a threat to their faves on the charts. But once a woman becomes too powerful, ATRL gays will rush to take her down

Enya Theresonlyoneenya GIF - Enya Theresonlyoneenya ...

Edited by Dephira
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

I feel like if Olivia was intentionally sampling her song and went to Taylor first then I don't Taylor would have asked for more than 20% but because of what happened Taylor sorta punished her for it by demanding 50%. Olivia obviously had no choice. It was either that or a lawsuit. I know Taylor has ptsd from people taking advantage of her music but she needs to know that not everyone is out to get her.

No. Sets a dangerous precedent and is either cruel from Taylor’s team (who should have rejected it) or stupid management by Olivia’s team (who she fired, so..).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, punisher said:

St Vincent needs to afford her rent somehow

Except Olivia and St Vincent are friends in real life and Olivia just recently spoke about her being a huge inspiration to her - this was solely Taylor’s decision. 

22 minutes ago, niiall said:

The fact that Olivia has openly admitted to writing lyrics on-top of Taylor songs and people still act like this is some unbelievable overreach by Taylor and co. :rip:

Taylor has always been credited on 1SF,3SB. How does this prove that she deserved to be credited on Deja Vu? 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.