What type of album roll-out do you prefer the most?

KatyPrismSpirit

An album roll-out can make or break an album as we all know. I made sure to have recent examples at every type of roll-out strategy. What album roll-out do you prefer the most? 

1. Very long album roll-outs that take up to a year or even longer where 4-5 singles proceed the album's release. Most of the time, a concrete album hasn't been announced by the time the first singles are released.

12aeede0-8b18-4121-9141-247fd0efe09a.753

2. Shorter album roll-outs that take around 3-4 months with two well promoted pre-release singles and various promotional single releases. The album is announced well in advance and available for pre-order.

91rzIsvpwjL._UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

3. Very quick album roll-outs, where the album is preceded by one big pre-release single. The album  comes out shortly after and also is announced in advance.

ab67616d0000b2730e58a0f8308c1ad403d105e7

4. Surprise drops, these albums get released with the announcement proceeding the album's release a day before or no proper announcement at all. 

MessagesImage_783246488_1024x1024@2x.png

5. The no single roll-out, where an album is announced well in advance but no lead-singles proceed the album, leaving speculation of it's sound to the fans. The album does have pre-order options.

FbTXmyLVUAAxXuY?format=jpg&name=4096x40971NYqajBDFL._SL1200_1.jpg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KatyPrismSpirit

• Badgalbriel

• HeavyMetalAura

• AxelFox

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved the Lover's rollout bar the abhorrent singles so 4 months from lead single to album. :bird:

• Haha 1

#2 like in the good ole days

• Thanks 1

Depends on the artist and the situation tbh.

Renaissance-type rollout was the standard back in the day. It's tested and tried, and I do miss it.

Guts-type rollout can be good if the artist can increase their success in those 4 months, leading to higher first-week sales than expected (see: TUN). At the same time tho, it can have a negative effect if the singles don't excite the fans (see: Hold the Girl).

The surprise drop and the no-single release work best for albums that are good, but lack a big single to help sell it. Happier than Ever would've benefited from either instead of releasing so many singles to tepid reception.

Edited by Virgos Groove

honestly, after being a sza fan. i'll take any roll out, period. when sos came out i was shocked we are getting music in general.

but regardless, i like 2 & 3! 

2 personally 

although no single rollouts work very well after underperformances or big smash eras (positions after tun, Midnights after folkmore and TV’s) 

I wish Olivia went with a no single rollout for GUTS, same for Billie and HTE. 

tbh i really liked midnights roll out. it build up such a crazy amount of anticipation because nobody had a clue wtf to expect. i think this is the main reason why it was such a blockbuster success. if she dropped anti hero in advance it might’ve thrown people off, just like it did with Lover initially when ME! dropped

• Like 2

What I hate is the short roll-out for albums that are announced, released and forgotten in a two months span, especially if the artist isn't doing anything in first person, I find them to be extremely boring for fans (Positions, nobody cared about the deluxe, TUN, the only entertaining part was charts-wise, Dawn FM). 

Everything else is fine, but the long roll out is the best of course, Future Nostalgia, After Hours etc. are my favourites. But I guess if they give fans a lot of content in a short time span it's fine. 

In the streaming era the very quick album rollouts seem perfect (like positions or renaissance) one single hypes up the gp and then the album is released. but they should also be followed by post album singles like karma with midnights

Edited by burninredhot

Surprise drop all at once, or if they don’t have enough material, just release droplets whenever 

Whichever one doesn't have you wait for music videos more than a year after the music is released 

:busted:

Lead single 5-6 weeks before the album.

Promo track 1-2 weeks before album release.

2nd single with the album release or shortly after.

They don't work as well in 2023 anymore, but I still prefer just 2-3 singles before an album drop, with no more than a four month wait between lead single and album release.

The old fashioned way, #2. Especially if the lead single is a huge hit, it makes the anticipation stronger. 

doesn’t matter. if i’m going to listen to the album, im gonna listen regardless. i don’t even pay attention to roll outs sometimes

I really really liked Midnight's rollout. No single before the album, but the era still kept going months after the album was released. However, it's not optimal. I feel like this kills any potential second single. 

The best rollout would be the one we get a lead single 2 months before the album and then a second single the day the album drops. 

I preferred the way they did it back in the '90s and early 2000s where an artist would release one single with a music video and then a month later the album would come out and then over the course of the next year or so more singles will be released with music videos from the album.

1 minute ago, schnetzka said:

I preferred the way they did it back in the '90s and early 2000s where an artist would release one single with a music video and then a month later the album would come out and then over the course of the next year or so more singles will be released with music videos from the album.

30 and Renaissance best recent examples of this… except they went radio silent after the album dropped :rip:

2 is literally the best and what every artist should follow. 2 big releases, album release, 2 to 3 post album releases. Physicals six months in advance.

2 minutes ago, schnetzka said:

That doesn't work anymore, unfortunately. Possible singles get instantly consumed when the album is released and no one really cares about it anymore after a few months. 

2. I like era building, I want a taste of what’s to come with the lead single, 2nd single and maybe a promo single. Then have the big splash with the album and then ideally the era continues with post-album singles and a tour

2 minutes ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

30 and Renaissance best recent examples of this… except they went radio silent after the album dropped :rip:

I think 30 and Ren are the WORST examples of this. Harry's House seems like a better one. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.