Miley: "Hollywood Records told me See You Again wasn't going to be a hit"

Scars

Reminder that not only did Hollywood Records refuse to do a music video for See You Again, but also threatened to sue the radio stations that initially played the song when it started to organically take off, as you can hear here:

It starts at 2:00!

:toofunny3:

The label eventually came around on the idea and released it as Miley's debut single. Despite the lack of a video, See You Again peaked at #10 on Hot 100, #5 on digital sales, #4 on pop radio and #31 on 2008's Hot 100 year-end. Herstory!

Edited by Scars
  • Thanks 7

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rac7d

• Scars

• blackoutbaby

• JustHoran

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe Hollywood Records knew GP had no taste.

'Cause this song has no business NOT being a #1 smash hit :jonny5:

• Like 2

Damn, the song was almost top 30 on the YE charts without a video...

I wonder what would have happened if they made a video for it and put it on heavy rotation on Disney Channel and etc :lakitu:

Yet they made her shoot a video for Start All Over, a song that made zero noise lol.

Edited by Britney Is Fierce
  • Haha 4

See You Again smashing was really impressive especially during the Hollywood Records era when Disney Channel artists were otherwise shunned from pop radio. For context, Miley got a top 10 hit with it before Katy, Gaga or Taylor ever did.

• Like 12

Truly the worst record label there is.

• Like 3

Dumbasses

• Like 1

Wow, this definitely would've impacted its peak during that time. Hilary may be the blueprint, but Miley's radio and chart success really made it so the rest of the girls could break through too.

• Like 1

I was always under the impression Miley's pre-bangerz music (aside from PITUSA) flopped and was only popular within her fanbase, I didn't know she had multi platinum songs that charted well

Edited by Saintlor
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, Beyonnaise said:

See You Again smashing was really impressive especially during the Hollywood Records era when Disney Channel artists were otherwise shunned from pop radio. For context, Miley got a top 10 hit with it before Katy, Gaga or Taylor ever did.

Yep she busted down the gates that Hilary got stuck at.

5 minutes ago, Saintlor said:

I was always under the impression Miley's pre-bangerz music (aside from PITUSA) flopped and was only popular within her fanbase, I didn't know she had multi platinum songs that charted well

Because ATRLers are clueless. Miley was smashing as Hannah and herself.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Saintlor said:

Miley's commercial prime is extremely underrated here on ATRL. The lack of airplay support hurted her full potential, but all of her pre-Bangerz singles are multiplatinum except Start All Over and Fly On the Wall, which weren't sent to radio. 

The Climb sold 4.5 million pure sales in the US, peaked at #4 on Hot 100 and made it to #21 on 2009's Hot 100 year-end. 7 Things spent multiple weeks inside the top10 despite not being touched by radio and When I Look At You is a cute 3x platinum-certified top20 hit that has over 420M streams on Spotify, which is great for a 2009 song.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Everyone still loses their minds when this comes on in the club lol :katie2:

#1 that got away!

literally HOW :rip:

it’s one of the catchiest pop songs of the aughts, it’s like the PERFECT debut single for a teen popstar lmao

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Scars said:

Miley's commercial prime is extremely underrated here on ATRL. The lack of airplay support hurted her full potential, but all of her pre-Bangerz singles are multiplatinum except Start All Over and Fly On the Wall, which weren't sent to radio. 

The Climb sold 4.5 million pure sales in the US, peaked at #4 on Hot 100 and made it to #21 on 2009's Hot 100 year-end. 7 Things spent multiple weeks inside the top10 despite not being touched by radio and When I Look At You is a cute 3x platinum-certified top20 hit that has over 420M streams on Spotify, which is great for a 2009 song.

Start All Over deserved so much better. One of her best singles AND music videos

I remember being gagged when it used to air during Disney Channel ad breaks

• Like 4

A classic they couldn’t have fumbled even if they wanted to :clap3:breakout on the other hand deserved better than that rollout

Edited by liquiddiamonds
  • Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.