Should public transport be free?

Robert

By making public transport free, we could massively cut carbon emissions. It would also boost travel increasing consumer spending and it’s something many people rely on so arguably we should treat it the same way we treat public school or hospitals (for the non-US girlies).

Companies spend so much making ticketing platforms and trying to stop fare evasion that the costs wouldn’t be that much (for example, it would cost $1.4B USD to give all of Australia free public transport for a year).

Here in Australia bus drivers have to let minors on a bus whether they have money or not. But people abuse it a lot 

But yeah I agree it should be free, it would cut carbon emissions so much cause at the end of the day driving can sometimes be cheaper than public transport.

Edited by punisher

There are cities with free public transport like the capital of Estonia, but this is available only for its residents :giraffe: Still cool though, as Tallinn has buses, trolleybuses and trams 

• Like 1

The point of public transport is to stimulate the economy and improve quality of life, not to make money. There's a middle ground with low fares and enforcement that isn't too cumbersome or costly to people that pay but still contributes some to the monumental cost to run it imo.

Edited by Century

Yes. Corporations and government should pay employees to get to their jobs and keep the economy going. It should not be a business.

• Like 1

No. That would be communism, right?

• Thumbs Down 1

Yes, it should be subsidized by local or state governments. 

By making public transport free, we could massively cut carbon emissions

the rich will still keep taking private jets while us peasants keep waiting for bus and train full of crackheads and sociopaths. :gaycat2:

Yes, but it would be better and more impactful for public transit to be good and useful before being free.  

• Thumbs Down 1

No because then they would just force the bill onto tax payers. Nothing is free in this world. :swan:

• Thumbs Down 1

9 minutes ago, byzantium said:

Yes, but it would be better and more impactful for public transit to be good and useful before being free.  

Basically this. The cost of public transit isn’t exactly prohibitive for most people and is already cheaper than driving in most cases.

Well, yes! In my city the public bus is free. I believe the train and subways should be as well!

I guess? I would prefer other things to be free but I guess we could start there 

17 minutes ago, Stan.killah said:

No because then they would just force the bill onto tax payers. Nothing is free in this world. :swan:

[2]

36 minutes ago, Stan.killah said:

No form of transportation exists without subsidies.  It is just a question of how much.  Since the vast majority of roads are free, I don't see why public transit can't have the same policy.  

• Like 5

well yes, especially in cities where pollution and traffic are huge problems

5 minutes ago, byzantium said:

No form of transportation exists without subsidies.  It is just a question of how much.  Since the vast majority of roads are free, I don't see why public transit can't have the same policy.  

this! our tax money is going to Elon Musk's vanity tunnel project and adding 9th and 10th lanes to highways anyway. subsidize public transit more and cut the car-dependent crap a little.

• Thanks 1

I think ideas like this are feasible in the long term, but when people discuss these topics, it’s always givin Michelle “if I was queen for a day, everything would be free!” 

“Everything would be free???” 🤨😒

• Confused 1

Yes it should but I drive 98% of the time only will take a train if I go into city however for me it's a 2 hour train ride is $20 just into city and another $20 back. And this is the vlines in Australia 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.