Is Brandy's impact underrated on the internet & ATRL?

Josh

Im from a Latino country and R&B was a non-factor. I would like to know more about the 90s.
Who were the big divas? How the panorama changed through the decade? :gaycat2: I feel like we focus sometimes too much on the 2000s but we forget about the 90s

celebs copy brandy all the time :sistrens:

• Haha 1

You can hear her vocal prints on literally every RnB newcomer, from SZA to Kehlani to Summer Walker, sometimes it's disturbing how much they sound like Brandy.

Edited by Mystic Boy
  • Like 3

What does "local" actually mean today?

fGDX65d.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I mean.. Yea. Artists from multiple genres and continents have cited her as an influence on their music. a list of Smash albums that would exist in the same capacity if not for Brandy's music: 

Stadium Arcadium

Baby One More Time

Christina Aguilera

My Love is Your Love

Positions

Good Girl Gone Bad

Baduizm

She's the blueprint for the Alt R&B era of the 2010s. Miguel, Frank Ocean, James Fauntleroy, Jhene Aiko, SZA, Ella Mai Etc AND... without Brandy, Hilary Duff, Demi Lovato, Xtina, Britney, Miley, Demi, Raven, Selena etc would Not have been branded the same as crossover teen acts 

Edited by Bey_Rihstan

On 8/25/2023 at 11:29 AM, jdmc219 said:

Isn't that with almost every R&B girl on here?

kS30sGL.gif

pretty much this. atrl is also more Generation Z now so they missed the impact of Brandy

as well as getting to experience what she did and does for R&B music as a whole. she's TRULY a 

musical genius. 

18 hours ago, Bey_Rihstan said:

I mean.. Yea. Artists from multiple genres and continents have cited her as an influence on their music. a list of Smash albums that would exist in the same capacity if not for Brandy's music: 

Stadium Arcadium

Baby One More Time

Christina Aguilera

My Love is Your Love

Positions

Good Girl Gone Bad

Baduizm

She's the blueprint for the Alt R&B era of the 2010s. Miguel, Frank Ocean, James Fauntleroy, Jhene Aiko, SZA, Ella Mai Etc AND... without Brandy, Hilary Duff, Demi Lovato, Xtina, Britney, Miley, Demi, Raven, Selena etc would Not have been branded the same as crossover teen acts 

The Olsen Twins would like to have a word :coffee2:

19 hours ago, Bey_Rihstan said:

Stadium Arcadium

Baby One More Time

Christina Aguilera

My Love is Your Love

Positions

Good Girl Gone Bad

Baduizm

Oh wow just read how she inspired the Red Hot Chili Peppers album :jonnycat:

6 hours ago, mons†er said:

The Olsen Twins would like to have a word :coffee2:

eh.. they didn't have the same Branding. they went from TV to Fashion. That'd be more like Rihanna going from Music to Makeup. Brandy and those other girls were balancing fulltime music and TV/Film careers. something Brandy did successfully before them. She was hopping from Music to TV to Movies to Fashion to Makeup to Toys. She was doing everything 

Brandy is one of the most influential vocalists in modern music. She's your favorite singer's favorite singer. The Vocal Bible. 

Ron Harris (Christina Aguilera's producer): "Before she did adlibs, she was only listening to Mariah Carey and Brandy."

(Timestamped)

Britney Spears (on who her influences are): "Probably Whitney Houston of course and Brandy (I love her album)."

(Timestamped)

Jessie J: "You [Brandy] were one of the singers that I schooled myself on."

https://twitter.com/whoisshe2u/status/1417533946183696391?s=20

John Frusciante, guitarist for Red Hot Chili Peppers, cited Brandy as the "main inspiration" behind the guitar work on Red Hot Chili Peppers' 2006 album, Stadium Arcadium. 

Edited by Dill Green
  • Thanks 1

On 8/25/2023 at 9:50 AM, Obsession said:

But she's just not as influential or impactful as a lot of other artists, that's all

Both Christina Aguilera and Britney Spears listen to Brandy’s debut album during their recording of their debut album. This is a known fact so to say she isn’t influential is insulting do your research. 

• Like 1

On 8/25/2023 at 12:50 PM, Obsession said:

She has great music! But she's just not as influential or impactful as a lot of other artists, that's all - and you can tell because most people don't know how good her discography is, that's why they compare her to artists like Monica whose discography isn't nearly as good

That doesn't make any sense, this why nobody be taking y'all seriously lmfao

On 8/25/2023 at 5:35 PM, Obsession said:

I think if people aren't talking about her then her impact isn't that big - but I will say her discography is excellent and she deserves more respect. 

The Never Say Never to Aphrodisiac run is unparalleled 

Not the Human snub when its pretty solid

but yeah she deserves more respect, even for her flop eras,she is actually the first artist to have a full Timbaland produced album post Aalyiah before he became relevant again with Loose/FSLS eras, Aphrodisiac sounded like a 2006/07 smash album in 2004

Edited by M!X

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.