Is Brandy's impact underrated on the internet & ATRL?

Josh

She was literally everywhere during the 90's couldn't escape her at all, she had her own doll

Rare Mattel 1999 Superstar Brandy Barbie Doll Moesha Singer - Etsy Singapore

Movies:

An Ode to I STILL KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SUMMER's Karla Wilson - Nerdist

Was the very first Black Disney Princess 

The Whitney/Brandy Cinderella Was One of the Most Important Movies of the  '90s

Within R&B/urban circles, her musical influence and impact is recognized. Not everywhere else though which is sad.

• Like 11

Isn't that with almost every R&B girl on here?

kS30sGL.gif

• Like 2

Yes. She helped set the stage for the late-90s teen pop domination with her debut, introduced the turn-of-the-millenium futuristic R&B sound with NSN (together with Aaliyah's OIAM), inspired Rih's GGGB, and influenced the rise of alt-R&B with Full Moon. She's rightfully beloved in R&B circles, but the P4K & Co. brand of critics still haven't caught on.

• Thanks 6

I think if people aren't talking about her then her impact isn't that big - but I will say her discography is excellent and she deserves more respect. 

The Never Say Never to Aphrodisiac run is unparalleled 

Edited by Obsession
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Obsession said:

if people aren't talking about her then her impact isn't that big

• Haha 1

On the internet, she's pretty solid. She trends every now and then on Twitter. 

10 minutes ago, Obsession said:

I think if people aren't talking about her then her impact isn't that big -

Ok, that's a bit much. ATRL is pretty much pop anyway. Social media, she's getting respect. 

YES. Throughout the imndustry except for people who TRULY know music.

If she and Darkchild didn't drop Full Moon a lot of the dark/alternative R&B artists would not exist in the capacity they do today. She and tLC were the first to see massive success with the futuristic R&B sound The Weeknd, Frank Ocean, Jhene Aiko, and others used to breathe new life into R&B in 2011-2014

• Like 4

Yes, her vocal layering technique was super impactful. 

• Like 1

The original triple threat - acting, music and dance

She is sooo talented and the R&B gurls today could never

50 minutes ago, Obsession said:

I think if people aren't talking about her then her impact isn't that big

Y’all try to say the same thing about Janet though, and that’s clearly a lie :toofunny3:

-

The R&B connoisseurs give Brandy her well deserved flowers, but I imagine she’s “too boring” for ATRL/pop stans to do a deep dive on her career/impact.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, OnikaSlays said:

Y’all try to say the same thing about Janet though, and that’s clearly a lie :toofunny3:

-

The R&B connoisseurs give Brandy her well deserved flowers, but I imagine she’s “too boring” for ATRL/pop stans to do a deep dive on her career/impact.

Who is the y'all? Also Janet had a significant boycott - Brandy just fell off and never had the same impact Janet did  

She has great music! But she's just not as influential or impactful as a lot of other artists, that's all - and you can tell because most people don't know how good her discography is, that's why they compare her to artists like Monica whose discography isn't nearly as good

Edited by Obsession

atrl is full of europeans who are generally ignorant about black artists and r&b/hip hop in general 

• Thanks 3

40 minutes ago, Obsession said:

Who is the y'all? Also Janet had a significant boycott - Brandy just fell off and never had the same impact Janet did  

She has great music! But she's just not as influential or impactful as a lot of other artists, that's all - and you can tell because most people don't know how good her discography is, that's why they compare her to artists like Monica whose discography isn't nearly as good

not you in specific hun, but a lot of people on here like to downplay her success.

• ATRL Moderator
1 hour ago, Obsession said:

I think if people aren't talking about her then her impact isn't that big

I mean, she ended up on that Rolling Stone list of the greatest singers of all time this year!

1 hour ago, Obsession said:

But she's just not as influential or impactful as a lot of other artists, that's all

This is relative. Brandy is a lot more influential and impactful than a lot of other artists too, there's probably not a single R&B artist that debuted post-2000s that hasn't been influenced by her, and it's a wide range too. Everyone from Jazmine to Solange to Yebba to Rihanna etc has been influenced by Brandy in a way or other. So saying that she doesn't have a big enough impact if people aren't talking about it is ignorant, it's like saying Billie Holiday had no impact because the pop world and pop stans aren't really talking about her.

• Thanks 4

RockStarShit101
3 hours ago, supaspaz said:

I mean, she ended up on that Rolling Stone list of the greatest singers of all time this year!

tumblr_mqqlmaJfWj1qggo50o1_400.pnj

:redface:

24 minutes ago, RockStarShit101 said:

tumblr_mqqlmaJfWj1qggo50o1_400.pnj

:redface:

He WISHES :redface:

Never Say Never - 5x Platinum

Wake Up! - ...:redface:

• ATRL Moderator
23 minutes ago, Virgos Groove said:

He WISHES :redface:

Never Say Never - 5x Platinum

Wake Up! - ...:redface:

And no Grammys either!

Absolutely, her vocal production has definitely inspired a whole generation of artists. Whether it’s kept quiet or not

I'm probably missing something but I feel like Brandy is kinda the blueprint for Hilary Duff, Miley, etc. Yet nobody really talks about that. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.