Lorde released Solar Power album 2 years ago. Thoughts on it today?

NOW

March12_SolarPower2.jpg

https://music.apple.com/us/album/solar-power/1572940891

‘Solar Power’, though, doesn’t feel like a record that will suffer that same fate – this is an album that grows in quiet stature with every listen, new nuggets of wisdom making their way to the surface, peeking through its beautiful instrumentation that weaves a stunning, leafy tapestry. Few artists strike gold on every record they create but, for the third time in a row, Lorde has done it again, crafting yet another world-beater.

https://www.nme.com/reviews/album/lorde-solar-power-review-3023597

Amidst this ongoing recalibration of what it is to be an artist and a celebrity, and where one ends and the other begins, the trajectory of Ella Yelich-O'Connor, AKA Lorde, feels reassuringly old-fashioned. Her new album is called Solar Power but, just like the moon, Lorde is an artist with distinct phases.

https://thequietus.com/articles/30405-lorde

While her previous albums were heralded and held close as deeply relatable works, 'Solar Power' is an album about Lorde being Lorde, unafraid to be clear about the fact that she no longer has a life quite like her fans, and she can’t be their guide.

https://www.clashmusic.com/reviews/lorde-solar-power/

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NOW

• stjosephprey4us

• jdmc219

• Rebel Lion

Top Posters In This Topic

Although it doesn't come close to Melodrama, I still think it's a good album with some strong tracks

Fallen Fruit is one of her best songs btw

Honestly I'm a casual Lorde listener, and this is the album of hers that I return to the most. I just love the laidback vibe of it :biggrin:

Boring but relaxing. I don't hate it. 

• ATRL Moderator

Still boring, and no amount of historical revisionism from stans will change that

• Like 5

I’ll always be a rider for Solar Power, Lorde just knows how to touch my soul with her music in a very special way. I don’t think I’ll fully hate an album released by her.

I totally understand the mixed reaction tho, and while I still don’t fully agree with the bandwagon backlash this album got in the stan community and the way people talk about it, I know it’s not everyone’s cup of tea. 

I’ve been seeing tones of positive talk about this record this past couple of weeks tho, specially since Lorde has been more active this days. Yesterday I saw a positive tweet about with almost 20K likes, so I think she’ll get her roses eventually. 

Edited by conquxror

When it came out I was majorly disappointed.  I hoped it would grow on me.  It did not.  

• Like 2

It was what I needed during Covid and has some really good songs like California, SATNS, MWTA, MR and the bonus tracks

• ATRL Moderator

It didn’t grow on me like I hoped it would. There are some songs I really like (e.g., SATNS, California, MR, SFAG). But, all in all, the album just feels much more flat compared to her prior albums. Hoping she strikes gold again for L4. 

It's not as strong as the first two, but I still pick it up once in a while.

I enjoyed it then and I enjoy it now. it's definitely her weakest LP and the songs that fall flat really are an absolute bore and a chore to sit through, but some songs have really revealed themselves to me over time. Oceanic Feeling is one of her best songs imo.

Her worst album - I’m so glad we’re over pretending like it was any good 

I listen to it once and never again:deadbanana4:

I actually liked the song SP too. But that album was so forgettable. Let’s be honest. Pure heroin & Melodrama still get played weekly by me, but I just pretend this release don’t exist

• Like 1

Awful. We all had high hopes after Melodrama. I liked SP (the song) but the album sounds like one long string of noise. 

Album overall was underwhelming but The Path, Stoned, and California are all career highlights :clap3:

As an album it was a disappointment, although some songs were excellent.

I do respect the artistic vision and that she kept standing behind the project and releasing all those music videos, even though I think they were terrible, but the vision was there and I applaud it. I do fear that due to its floppage, she will go back to serving Melodrama B-Sides for Tik Tok instead of coming up with a new sound 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.