Define “Smash”

visions

Well? What defines a SMASH to you?

I’ve seen some extremely suspect usage of the word on ATRL and I would love if people could provide their insight.

Post some of your favs more debatable “smashes” and let’s decide.  :supaspaz: 

We Dont Talk Anymore and Attention would qualify as a smash (I think)

There's Nothing Holding Me Back, Stitches, Treat You Better & Senorita all smashes

Edited by Insanity

Ur supposed to post examples. The reading comprehension of this forum is in the gutter 

9 minutes ago, Insanity said:

We Dont Talk Anymore

I think I’m a little stricter on “smash hits” than this.. Although it’s a huge streaming hit, if something doesn’t go top 5 I have a hard time of calling it a smash. 

In fact if the song doesn’t feel at any point like it’s the biggest song out at the moment, I would rarely call it a smash. 

I would define a smash as a song known, sung and danced to (if it is not a ballad) by people of all ages all over the country (if it is local) or all over the world or part of it. Time goes by and people still remember it. Not many songs achieve that effect and remain just a "hit". 

Edited by bliaz

53 minutes ago, visions said:

I think I’m a little stricter on “smash hits” than this.. Although it’s a huge streaming hit, if something doesn’t go top 5 I have a hard time of calling it a smash. 

In fact if the song doesn’t feel at any point like it’s the biggest song out at the moment, I would rarely call it a smash. 

It would have probably gone top 5 if its radio peak wasnt so low

You have good songs, then you have songs that are just explosively awesome. That, to me, is a "smash." I'm not a fan of letting the general masses determine what a "smash" is to me. Most "smashes" aren't on radio.

1. To break something

2. To **** / have sex with someone

Bodak Yellow

Girls Like You

WAP

I Like It

Up (Debatable, I’d say it’s a hit but not smash)

Edited by punisher

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.