Was “Born This Way” ahead of its time?   

65 members have voted

1. 1. ?

• it’s a yes I fear
    • it’s a no me thinks

Imagine thinking BTW is basic. 

It's the same usual suspects... Always... :sleep:

-

BTW is an amazing piece of work, truly her magnum Opus. And yes, it was ahead of its time. 

The cultural impact this album has is insane. If you can't see that, you're blind. 

• Like 1

Yes. It's genuinely a singular musical spectacle and it bangs from top to bottom. There are things going on with that album that remain bizarre and unexpected in pop music today.

Edited by Obsession
  • Like 1

What new generation? Just because BM got a cute viral dance trend doesn't mean the album was ahead of its time.

It sounds very dated sonically 

49 minutes ago, Axelios said:

What new generation? Just because BM got a cute viral dance trend doesn't mean the album was ahead of its time.

It sounds very dated sonically 

What sonic soundscape dates BTW to 2011 though? No one can seem to answer this very important question which underpins their main criticism of the album. Are the Swifties like @Cloröx @byzantium and yourself just intimidated that Gaga didn’t release songs like Better Than Revenge and Picture To Burn at this stage of her career and was more forward thinking?

It really doesn't sound dated at all, most of the sounds are post-industrial or indebted to German techno and a specific style of 80s synthpop (like Whitney Houston era) no one else was really referencing at the time. 

The only song that really buys into the 2010s electro-house trend is Judas and even that has its own quirks. You & I is like a glam rock Shania Twain thing that wasn't en vogue then either. I don't think the dated criticisms really hold up because nothing else sounded like Born This Way in 2011, and nothing else has since. 

The message of that album was MILES ahead of its time. It truly cost Lady GaGa a lot of her popularity at the time but as we have seen, it adds up to her career. Not everything is commercial success, she played for the long run and leave her mark forever.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.