NYT: T.Swift has reached demand & media saturation not seen since 1980s MJ & Madonna

Feanor

Yeah, there’s no denying that she has become a once in a lifetime music sensation. She’s basically the musical equivalent to the Marvel franchise. 

Even me, someone who isn’t really a fan, can respect it. She had some absolutely amazing work in the past pre midnights that I can 100% respect though (Enchanted is one of the best songs I’ve ever heard) 

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Enrique523

• Badgalbriel

• MardinBeksloy

• Raspberries

22 minutes ago, Ger-55 said:

Yeah, it's true and it should be said. And to be fair, how can you NOT love Taylor?

This is no shade at all (I don’t dislike her, the Swifties that’s another story) but: to a lot of non fans, she can come off as very overexposed and shoved down people’s throats. 

I personally like a lot of her music (Enchanted is at the very top for some of my favorite all time songs) but that’s just how it is to some people. 

But there’s not a singe star out there that everybody everywhere will 100% like 

This all happened thanks to Folklore which changed the trajectory of her career and propelled her into Beatles/MJ tier.

Truly the best career reinvention ever made by a pop girl :clap3:

• Like 5
  • Thumbs Down 3

24 minutes ago, Margaux said:

let’s not be delusional :dies:

Imagine calling the BILLY JOEL delusional, who are you, ATRL user Margaux?

24 minutes ago, Smilers said:

This all happened thanks to Folklore which changed the trajectory of her career and propelled her into Beatles/MJ tier.

Truly the best career reinvention ever made by a pop girl :clap3:

This!! Folklore shifted her career in a way we need to study 

• Like 1

Gaga in the late 2000's was bigger.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

13 hours ago, Losing my ground said:

Britney's late-90s and Gaga's late-00s peaks were superior so that's a lie.

Absolutely not, Taylor's domination is stronger and more stable, she's had her heel on the neck of the other girls since 1989 and she's not showing sings of stopping anytime soon

This all happened when reputation silenced the haters and the love for the album grew even more when Lover was released.

She was forced to step it up and then folklore and evermore happened. :clap3:

No shade but where are her hits like Like A Prayer, Like. A Virgin, Vogue or Hung Up?

Edited by rihannafan
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 4

My parents don’t know who a Taylor Swift is. This article may apply to white folks and other English speaking folks may know of her but POC don’t use her. :giraffe:

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 5

The way she is having her team report on absolutely every single thing about this tour is so :rip:  Like damn girl, you are so successful. Why do you need so much validation?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 5

29 minutes ago, rihannasbe$tfrnd said:

My parents don’t know who a Taylor Swift is. This article may apply to white folks and other English speaking folks may know of her but POC don’t use her. :giraffe:

y'all need to stop saying this when she's as big in Southeast Asia as she is in the Anglosphere :deadbanana:

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, rihannasbe$tfrnd said:

It's so bizarre. I never hear any of her stuff on the radio either.. meanwhile everyone knows and loves those M and MJ hits. even alt pop girls like Bjork (it's oh so quiet) and Kate bush have those songs that everyone just knows..

again, no disrespect to Taylor, but her songs and overall work just don't feel big to me.. I mean, even with her tour there's just talk about the demand.. not the tour/performances itself

also, the "songwriter" talk has to stop.  it's so disrespectful when you know madonna and mj wrote most of their songs.

And madonna actually always loses sales when she's being provocative or sexual. it's never helped her get more sales. (except for maybe the early stuff like LAV, but that was very innocent)

Edited by wanderlust
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 6

16 hours ago, CakeLikeMariah said:

And it’s not effecting anything 

For now.

Life gives us surprises and has proven that no one is on top forever. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

15 minutes ago, Prismee said:

y'all need to stop saying this when she's as big in Southeast Asia as she is in the Anglosphere :deadbanana:

Southeast Asia who? The Philippines who is obsessed with white people? :thing:

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 9

1 hour ago, rihannafan said:

No shade but where are her hits like Like A Prayer, Like. A Virgin, Vogue or Hung Up?

no shade but ive never heard those songs in my life other than Hung Up.

cardigan, look what u made me do, all too well, enchanted all feel bigger

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2
  • Thumbs Down 6

1 minute ago, Asscatchem said:

no shade but ive never heard those songs in my life other than Hung Up.

cardigan, look what u made me do, all too well, enchanted all feel bigger

this isn't the flex you think it's giving.

it says more about your lack in education/knowledge of music and culture than it says about the artists.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 3

1 minute ago, wanderlust said:

it says more about your lack in education/knowledge of music and culture than it says about the artists.

it shouldnt take a historian for a song to be relevant

i know mariah songs though

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 5

2 minutes ago, Asscatchem said:

it shouldnt take a historian for a song to be relevant

i know mariah songs though

the song is one of the most important in music history, tops a lot of all time lists, the video is seen as one of the best and most important of all time..  it fought police brutality against black people in the freaking 80s! Pepsi fired her for it. this video is very important and was on the news everywhere.

stop being stubborn and childish.

Edited by wanderlust
  • Thumbs Down 2

24 minutes ago, wanderlust said:

It's so bizarre. I never hear any of her stuff on the radio either.. meanwhile everyone knows and loves those M and MJ hits. even alt pop girls like Bjork (it's oh so quiet) and Kate bush have those songs that everyone just knows..

again, no disrespect to Taylor, but her songs and overall work just don't feel big to me.. I mean, even with her tour there's just talk about the demand.. not the tour/performances itself

also, the "songwriter" talk has to stop.  it's so disrespectful when you know madonna and mj wrote most of their songs.

And madonna actually always loses sales when she's being provocative or sexual. it's never helped her get more sales. (except for maybe the early stuff like LAV, but that was very innocent)

:ahh: Y’all are so funny sometimes 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

7 hours ago, TayGod said:

I would compare her more to the Beatles and not Madonna or Michael Jackson. She is more a songwriter. She doesn't have to be sexualized to sell her music. She is more creative in that sense. The Beatles never took off their clothes. Bruce Springsteen didn't take off his clothes; The Rolling Stones didn't take off their clothes. These legends were all known for their songwriting. The same is true of Taylor.

Mick Jagger was out there whoring himself along with his bandmates during his heyday. Some of his classic songs are about sex

The Beatles breakout hit was literally about the excitement of touching flesh

Hell Bruce Springsteen himself had to whoreify his image at one point, resulting in his biggest era, like the Born in the USA cover alone was made to turn him into a sex symbol. 

All in all, Sex is integral to popular music since like forever. Just because Taylor has the sex appeal of a table cloth doesnt mean she doesnt use sex as well in her music. Sparks Fly alone as well as other songs that implied intimacy with another man. So I dont know why Madonna is being singled out for using sex in her music lmao. Arent women allowed to be sexual in their own way? Is it a bad thing to be sexual? Its ridiculous because Madonna becoming sexual and taking control has contributed to pushing forward women’s rights, which has benefited Swift herself in this patriarchal industry. Idiotic quotes like these are the reason why Swifities are hated. The hypocrisy and moral self-righteousness is insane yet when their fave is caught ******* a literal racist, they turn a blind eye lol. 

Unless if you’re talking about is image, which is very true that Taylor has an upper hand over Madonna but then you’ll have Swifties on this site getting pressed about any indication of Taylor being vanilla or appealing to the lowest common person (which is not a bad thing imo, thats literally her appeal lmao). 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Thumbs Down 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.