• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• supaspaz

• teresaguidice

• GraceRandolph

• Bears01

4 hours ago, Mitsouko said:

Most wins from the first half of the history of the Oscars are ALL wrong. Grace Kelly and Elizabeth Taylor x2 in particular.

Besides those, Jessica Lange in Blue Sky was notably underwhelming.

Helen Hayes was good in Airport, idk what that tweet is on about.

Tbf for Jessica Lange, she was the best in an otherwise weak ass year for best actress. The rest were just meh (and no one can convince me that Jodie Foster deserved that win for Nell— that was shite)

4 hours ago, Konril said:

Rami Malek.

Even if I loved EEAAO, JLC was the weakest.

Agreed with both. JLC definitely only won by default because the Academy loved the movie so much + her being around for so long. 

Anyway, imo the worst wins were Malek, Bullock, Curtis and John Wayne back in ‘69

Malek is a great actor and slayed well in his less than 5 mins screentime in Oppenheimer. His Bohemian Rhapsody performance tho did not deserve a win. The nomination is the win in itself and I was aghast to see it win over other performances that year

I love Bullock as a star and an actress but her win was pure ****. She was serving Lifetime acting and not even the good kind :rip: she deserved a win for Gravity tho

Curtis was pure legacy win. Similar to Dern’s but Dern’s performance was actually quite good, a clear nominee. Curtis didnt deserve a nomination imo lol

John Wayne’s win was a tragic mess. Dustin deserved

• Like 1

Green Book winning Best Picture :coffee2:

EDIT : whoops this is about acting. I love Jennifer but how was she get put on Best Supporting Actress category?

Edited by Heirloom

Denzel Washington winning over Russell Crowe, YIKES. Russell Crowe gave much better performance in A beautiful mind. 

the correct answer is 1950 when some forgotten actress in some forgotten movie managed to win over Bette Davis for All About Eve and Gloria Swanson in Sunset Boulevard :rip:

• Like 5

Oh and Jim Broadbent winning for Iris is insane to me considering who the other nominees were:

Ian Mckellen - LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring

Ben Kingsley - Sexy Beast

Ethan Hawke - Training Day

Jon Voigt - Ali

• Like 1

6 hours ago, popmusicisdead said:

the correct answer is 1950 when some forgotten actress in some forgotten movie managed to win over Bette Davis for All About Eve and Gloria Swanson in Sunset Boulevard :rip:

I think Anne Baxter also being nominated in lead for All About Eve cost Bette the win. 

13 hours ago, Antisocialites said:

Cate Blanchett in Blue Jasmine, Charlize Theron in Monster.

they said worst not best :ahh:

OT: Sandra and Jessica (loved them but these were not the roles the should've won with. those awards belonged to Kristen and Gabourey)

I hate career based awards

Of the performances I’ve seen, Laura Dern in Marriage Story, but she’s still mother. Like wtf was that monologue?

7 hours ago, Marianah Adkins said:

Tbf for Jessica Lange, she was the best in an otherwise weak ass year for best actress. The rest were just meh (and no one can convince me that Jodie Foster deserved that win for Nell— that was shite)

Jodie Foster didn’t win for Nell. :rip: 

11 hours ago, supaspaz said:

How? That performance is a classic.

It's iconic but I can't believe it won. It wasn't a monumental scene or stretch to pull that off.

I know she's talented but I thought it was ok, not great.

Angelina Jolie's the girl interrupted. There is a reason why she was not nominated again

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

• ATRL Moderator
2 hours ago, slw84 said:

It's iconic but I can't believe it won. It wasn't a monumental scene or stretch to pull that off.

I know she's talented but I thought it was ok, not great.

Great comedic timing is a skill! The biological clock scene and the courtroom scene earned her that Oscar.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, P.O.P said:

Angelina Jolie's the girl interrupted. There is a reason why she was not nominated again

two sentences and both of them are wrong

:bibliahh:

• Like 2

Gwyneth. Bland performance in an awful movie

• ATRL Moderator
12 hours ago, Achilles. said:

Of the 237 winning performances I’ve seen, I’d put Brendan Fraser and Sandra Bullock at the very bottom of my list. And the blackface winner from Ben Hur, who wasn’t even the second-best supporting actor in the film. Yikes.

To think, we couuld have had the overdue narrative for Colin Farrell, a good performance in a good film, instead.

The best actor race in 2019 was rough. Bradley Cooper was amazing in ASIB and Bale was good in Vice. That year was kinda a mess overall for the actor race I think the other winners (Colman, Mahersala Ali, Regina King) were all much better than Rami Malek.

Marisa Tomei's win is one of the more refreshing ones and absolutely deserved.

Try watching Silver Linings Playbook again - not only is the movie unwatchable now, but the BA win was definitely the result of Weinstein campaign magic/fraud.

8 minutes ago, supaspaz said:

To think, we couuld have had the overdue narrative for Colin Farrell, a good performance in a good film, instead.

I think he was seen as overdue for a nomination, but not for a win. This year was a bit of an outlier in that all 4 trophies went to first time nominees; it’s far more typical (especially with the leading winners) to land a “welcome to the club” nomination and build up a bit of a history with the Academy before winning. Colin strikes me as someone who wins on his second or third nomination, like Oldman, Affleck, Smith, Firth…

Unfortunately, I don’t think there was really a way for Colin (or anyone, really) to best the “sympathetic comeback” in a “brave transformative” role that Fraser had, even if it was a misleading publicity angle—he’s put out at least one project every year of the last 9 or so. He didn’t come back to working, he came back to people giving a **** about him. :rip:

19 hours ago, sunbathinganimal said:

Stepfon

Chastain is a great actress and deserved an Oscar sometime in her career. 
But THIS winning Best Actress and Best Makeup is a little atrocious. Those prosthetics were outdated when the movie came out 

spacer.png

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.