Can Mya sit at the table with Brandy, Monica & Aaliyah

Power love

Mya debut on the music scene in 1998 with back to back hits just four years after Brandy, three after Monica & five from Aaliyah.

Mya is normally never mention onside theses women even though she is apart of that young teen African-American explosion that happened through out the 90s. 

She might not be as successful technically as the ladies mention but there is differently a discussion that needs to be made on where she’s place among them. Many might sleep on her but she had a pretty strong start & list of hits that can rival some of the ladies mention. 

She had a career that many could only dream of. She was in television, movies & endorsements. She was that girl for a short period of time.

Edited by Power love

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Power love

• mons†er

• Sabandija

• loudliyah

No they aren't from the same group tbh, she came out a while after them. She had a great run tho! 

Edited by loudliyah
  • Like 1

I’d group her more with Ashanti and to a lesser extent Ciara. 

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Down 1

12 hours ago, loudliyah said:

No they aren't from the same group tbh, she came out a while after them. She had a great run tho! 

they absolutely are of the same group. Mya, Monica, Aaliyah, TLC, Brandy, are the 90's mainstream r&b/pop girls.  

Mya absolutely can sit with those women. Mya has earned 1 Grammy just like Brandy and Monica. She also has had a number 1 song from a cultural classic movie. also in the 90's 'Ghetto Superstar', 'Take Me There' and 'All About Me' were huge. please put some respect on the Mya Harris's name. 

Edited by mons†er
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Yes, the fab 4. Female RnB teens of the 90s.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Iyanla, Fix Me said:

how would you group Mya as a lessor extent Ciara when Mya was here before Ciara? Janet paved the way, but maya kept the door opened so Ciara could have a career.

how would you group her with Ashanti if Ashanti's success wasn't established before 2001 and Mya's was established in 1998?? 

45 minutes ago, Iyanla, Fix Me said:

This makes no sense.

Ciara came out six years after Mya. That’s nowhere near the same group. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Airhead said:

Yes, the fab 4. Female RnB teens of the 90s.

51 minutes ago, mons†er said:

they absolutely are of the same group. Mya, Monica, Aaliyah, TLC, Brandy, are the 90's mainstream r&b/pop girls.  

:clap3:

Shouldn’t this be in base? :rip:

• Thumbs Down 1

44 minutes ago, Power love said:

This makes no sense.

Ciara came out six years after Mya. That’s nowhere near the same group. 

Hence why I said to a lesser extent. Obviously they’re more sonically in line than the artists mentioned in the OP. 

40 minutes ago, Iyanla, Fix Me said:

lesser extent

Girl to no extent.

Literally nobody who was around during Mya & Ciara peak would think they were from the same time frame or peers in any shape or form.

Mya was gearing up for era four by the time Ciara debut. While all the ladies mentioned in the original post were on era two when Mya debut. 

Massive difference.

Nope 

She can sit at the table with Monica and Aaliyah, but Brandy is on a whole other level than the rest. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

No she can sit with Ciara and Ashanti but even that's a stretch 

• Thumbs Down 1

5 hours ago, Iyanla, Fix Me said:

I can totally see what you mean and I don't find it disrespectful. 

Yes. She's kind of an in-betweener cause she wasn't there in the mid 90's with them and peaked later too, but she's definitely engraved in r&b fans' minds as a 90's act along with those 3. Also, her discography and videography can definitely compete with Monica's even if she's a rank lower than the other 2. Mya has ageless bops upon ageless bops. It's All About Me, Best Of Me remix, Case Of Ex, Ghetto Superstar, My Love Is Like, Fallen, Lady Marmalade. And she could have had more if her label hadn't given up after 2003. Ridin' is a 5-week #1 in my mind

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.