Cruel Summer skyrockets to #1 on pop radio, breaks record for most #1s

Michael196

31 minutes ago, elincomprendid said:

The way people really thought she was dead on radio just cause her alt tracks didn’t do that well :ahh:

She came back stronger than a 90s trend 

f186c528a0bbebec480f3e3560492d27a011a826.gif

• Like 1

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• spree

• PurrKaty

• Michael196

• FolkLover1989

Imagine how many #1’s she could’ve had in her career if she wasn’t always getting blocked :rip: Hopefully we’ve broken the #2 curse

Edited by Buffy

:jonny: oh music industry don’t stomp too hard

She was in a drought but really snatched 3 Pop Radio #1s in the span of a year damn

5 hours ago, elincomprendid said:

The way people really thought she was dead on radio just cause her alt tracks didn’t do that well :ahh:

To be fair her reception was highly affected starting from LWYMMD, her only well-received song was "Delicate". Besides that, she was having a hard time clicking with GP. AH was turning point.

9 hours ago, elincomprendid said:

I think people also thought because Rep and Lover tracks didn’t do so hot either. However, Lover is getting its redemption and Rep hopefully will with the re-recording!! :duca: 

1 hour ago, spree said:

Pop music didn't start in 1992. 

Regardless of when the charts started she’s the first to reach this in over the 30+ years since Billboard started tracking. She didn’t even start topping pop radio until less than 15 years ago. Where are the acts from 1992-2008 that hit #1 before her? Surely they’d have more than enough time to outdo her having a 16-17 year advantage, right?

Edit: if you want to focus on when tracking started then you can essentially wipe out all music records. Cause music didn’t start in the 1900’s sadly lol

Edited by PurrKaty
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, PurrKaty said:

Regardless of when the charts started she’s the first to reach this in over the 30+ years since Billboard started tracking. She didn’t even start topping pop radio until less than 15 years ago. Where are the acts from 1992-2008 that hit #1 before her? Surely they’d have more than enough time to outdo her having a 16-17 year advantage, right?

Edit: if you want to focus on when tracking started then you can essentially wipe out all music records. Cause music didn’t start in the 1900’s sadly lol

Was Vogue a Pop song? Yes or no?

23 minutes ago, spree said:

Yes, but so were songs that Elvis put out, or Frank Sinatra, or Louis Armstrong, or going back further songs by composers like Mozart or Beethoven were also "pop" songs in the sense of being the most popular songs of their day (though of course there wouldn't have been a radio chart to measure their success back then). The charts didn't exist to measure their success, and thus we can't compare them to today's songs in terms of popularity or radio success, and the same holds true for Vogue. 

Edited by wastedpotential
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, spree said:

Pop music didn't start in 1992. 

If this was about, let’s say, Katy Perry, you would cheer, so hang it up. :cooldown:

OT: Lucky 13th and it is Cruel Summer, one of her best pop songs ever. :clap3:

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, wastedpotential said:

Yes, but so were songs that Elvis put out, or Frank Sinatra, or Louis Armstrong, or going back further songs by composers like Mozart or Beethoven were also "pop" songs in the sense of being the most popular songs of their day (though of course there wouldn't have been a radio chart to measure their success back then). The charts didn't exist to measure their success, and thus we can't compare them to today's songs in terms of popularity or radio success, and the same holds true for Vogue. 

The charts did exist, you’re just choosing to use an irrelevant Billboard chart that started in 1992 cuz it fits your narrative.

but congrats to Taylor for topping an irrelevant chart.

• Thumbs Down 4

1 hour ago, spree said:

but congrats to Taylor for topping an irrelevant chart.

Girl she's topping every chart :swan:

OT: A legendary artist. The queen of radio along with being the queen of everything else :superman:

On 7/29/2023 at 11:24 AM, spree said:

What does that have to do with what I said?? Clearly it’s a pop song that was prior to the pop songs chart existence. Show me someone that started topping the charts between 1992-2008 that did what Taylor did?

I guess with your logic all of Madonna’s chart records mean nothing seeing as music was around before Billboard even started tracking… I guess no one today is setting records :rip:  Lmaooo

22 minutes ago, PurrKaty said:

What does that have to do with what I said?? Clearly it’s a pop song that was prior to the pop songs chart existence. Show me someone that started topping the charts between 1992-2008 that did what Taylor did?

I guess with your logic all of Madonna’s chart records mean nothing seeing as music was around before Billboard even started tracking… I guess no one today is setting records :rip:  Lmaooo

Well you’re just dismissing an entire decade and more of Pop music and claiming Taylor has the most #1’s of all time. Statistically that’s not true. It may be in the future, but for right now it’s false.

Mariah has 14 and Madonna has 15.

• Thumbs Down 1

8 minutes ago, spree said:

Well you’re just dismissing an entire decade and more of Pop music and claiming Taylor has the most #1’s of all time. Statistically that’s not true. It may be in the future, but for right now it’s false.

Pop music didn’t exist until Taylor Swift’s debut. :heart:

18 minutes ago, spree said:

I’m not dismissing anyone prior to the pop chart starting, of course Mariah and Madonna have more if you go past the charts existence. I’m not sure but wouldn’t be surprised if Michael Jackson, Janet Jackson, Whitney Houston, The Beatles, etc have the same or more than Taylor. You seem to forget that new charts get added to billboard all the time. And since tracking started for pop in 1992 Taylor holds the title, and that is 100% the truth, not a false statement. You’re the one dismissing the fact that Taylor does hold the record since official tracking started. Billboard clearly states in all their pop articles in which records are broken that the chart started in October 1992, which is the truth. Billboard isn’t trying to dismiss the pop queens/kings that came prior either…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The fact that it only took 7 weeks:soda:

5 hours ago, PurrKaty said:

I’m not dismissing anyone prior to the pop chart starting, of course Mariah and Madonna have more if you go past the charts existence. I’m not sure but wouldn’t be surprised if Michael Jackson, Janet Jackson, Whitney Houston, The Beatles, etc have the same or more than Taylor. You seem to forget that new charts get added to billboard all the time. And since tracking started for pop in 1992 Taylor holds the title, and that is 100% the truth, not a false statement. You’re the one dismissing the fact that Taylor does hold the record since official tracking started. Billboard clearly states in all their pop articles in which records are broken that the chart started in October 1992, which is the truth. Billboard isn’t trying to dismiss the pop queens/kings that came prior either…

Ok yes obviously she holds the record on that chart, it just bugs me when people say blanket statements “of all time” as if it’s reality.  Taylor will eventually pass Mariah and Madonna. I’m not denying that. It just hasn’t happened yet in reality. That’s all. No harm done.

• Like 1

yes, the greatest of all time did that!

13 hours ago, spree said:

Ok yes obviously she holds the record on that chart, it just bugs me when people say blanket statements “of all time” as if it’s reality.  Taylor will eventually pass Mariah and Madonna. I’m not denying that. It just hasn’t happened yet in reality. That’s all. No harm done.

Understandable, I thought you were ignoring the 1992 statement billboard always adds in the articles. I agree with the blanket statements not being true, when people post it on social media or create threads they really should include the 1992 detail in my opinion, just like Billboard does.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.