• Midnights
  2. 2. Better album?

• COADF
    • Midnights
  3. 3. Better MVs?

• COADF
    • Midnights

6 minutes ago, stevyy said:

Taylor sold less, needed longer to sell less and had a bigger music industry in 2022 than Madonna had in 2005. 

Except that music market for new music is not bigger than it was in 2005

Screenshot-2022-01-11-at-16.41.42.jpg

Claiming that selling 6 million in 2 months in 2022 is easier than selling 6 million in 2 months in 2005 is laughable when... even IFPI lists you post totally proves otherwise 

Edited by Artistofthedecade
  • Thumbs Down 6

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stevyy

• HappierJealousy

• Chris

• Blackout2006

1 minute ago, Popboi. said:

Using Curtain Call as to prove a point doesn't make sense as most of it's sales came from after 2005 (especially now as it eats up the streams of most of Eminem's hits), Confessions sold next to nothing after a couple of years and Midnights CLEARLY will do better in the 2023 IFPI than Confessions' in 2006. #2 followed up by an inevitable top 10 second year > #6 and OUT on the second.

Out of the top 50, but not out of the charts. Roughly 1,7 million copies were sold of COADF in 2006. 

4 minutes ago, stevyy said:

I'm typing this very slowly now, so that everyone can follow: For 2005 or an album released in 2005 accumulating 6,3 million copies (pure sales bc streaming did not exist) and being the 6th biggest album of that year when the entire music industry was 1/3 smaller than it was in 2022 is / was a groundbreaking achievement. The fact that Madonna did that in 52 days is even bigger. Taylor sold less, needed longer to sell less and had a bigger music industry in 2022 than Madonna had in 2005. 

This warrants the ifpi ranking useless in determining which album was bigger as that evidence points towards Madonna anyway.

Streaming cannot be a deciding factor because it was introduced long after COADF was released. 

I came into this thread saying that such a comparison does not make much sense because the time in which each album was released is so vastly different in the way music was / is consumed. But the aggressive downgrading by the Swifties made me engage with their points...

Now, everything they claimed could be debunked by their own introduction of the IFPI list. 

I rest my case now because everything's been sad and people who still vote for or comment that "it's obviously Taylor whose album is bigger" show no respect to the facts, the reality - our commonly shared reality - and should therefore be accepted as a belief or feeling and not a fact because the facts showed that it must be Madonna. 

Case closed. Gimme a new one.

The flawed logic and mental gymnastics to justify a lower year end placement as being a bigger achievement :deadbanana4: The numbers literally put Midnights above Confessions, not sleek with the "cause streaming didn't exist" to make it more impressive, as albums sold much quicker before the streaming era.

"downgrading by the Swifts made me engage with their points", the faux high ground when you post the same certifications list on every. single. thread. :deadbanana4:

• Thumbs Down 6

39 minutes ago, Popboi. said:

Now, you know damn well Confessions has it's own collection of clunky lyrics too. "Just go to Texas, isn't that where they golf?" :deadbanana2: 

That line is referring to George Bush and it's changed in the live version :cm: it's called reading between the lines!

2 minutes ago, Artistofthedecade said:

Except that music market for new music is not bigger than it was in 2005

Claiming that selling 6 million in 2 months in 2022 is easier than selling 6 million in 2 months in 2005 is laughable when... even IFPI lists you post totally proves otherwise 

1) the entire music industry in 2022 was bigger by revenue than it was in 2005. That is a fact. 

2) I did not claim such a thing, which would be ridiculous. I explained the context behind their respective year end positions, albeit using official information for Madonna and unofficial information for Taylor as provided by her record company. 

My line of argument was solely concerned with the IFPI positions which for quite some Swifties was the main argument of why Midnights was bigger. 

Thank you for understanding my point and thank you in advance for not miscontruing my arguments in the future. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Popboi. said:

Now, you know damn well Confessions has it's own collection of clunky lyrics too. "Just go to Texas, isn't that where they golf?" :deadbanana2: 

Hdhdhfhfhf iconic tho!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nostalgic said:

That line is referring to George Bush and it's changed in the live version :cm: it's called reading between the lines!

And Taylor's line is her being a cat lady that lives with 3 cats (literally), context does matter yes!

4 minutes ago, Popboi. said:

The flawed logic and mental gymnastics to justify a lower year end placement as being a bigger achievement :deadbanana4: The numbers literally put Midnights above Confessions, not sleek with the "cause streaming didn't exist" to make it more impressive, as albums sold much quicker before the streaming era.

"downgrading by the Swifts made me engage with their points", the faux high ground when you post the same certifications list on every. single. thread. :deadbanana4:

Thank you for your opinion. I will keep that in mind. Sadly, you did not engage with my arguments, but I hope you can find solace in the way of how you respond to other people that you are not agreeing with. <3

1) the entire music industry in 2022 was bigger by revenue than it was in 2005. That is a fact. 

And what does that have to do with new music sales? How does that benefit Midnights as you claimed? 

My line of argument was solely concerned with the IFPI positions which for quite some Swifties was the main argument of why Midnights was bigger. 

So according to you, we can't use 

Year End Charts

IFPI replacements 

Yearly units

Total units 

So can you explain what were you using when you claimed that COADF is bigger than Midnights if you don't mind? 

Edited by Artistofthedecade

Midnights will end up bigger but COADF is eaons better.

Confessions felt bigger and I was only a kid back then 

Midnights for all

Confessions easily - it was the 2nd biggest album of Europe of 2005 and Hung Up was a worldwide smash, selling 10M in the pure sales era in 2005 

• Like 1

The way some (not all) are so desperate to discredit Madonna because she actually sold albums and didn't have people streaming it on the internet from 1980s til the 2000s.

:redface:

• Like 7

Like WHAT did Madame Ciccone ever personally do to Ms. Allison Swift?

:deadbanana2: :deadbanana2: :deadbanana2:

What?

• Like 1

COADF for sure. It was massive in Europe (it made it to year-end charts in major European countries for three consecutive years). Europe was richer and more influential than the U.S. in the 00s. 

It also faced very stiff competition from other major acts. Midnights had virtually no major competitors. 

COADF is way ahead of Midnights quality-wise. It was very acclaimed in the 2000s when poptism wasn’t a thing and music critics had a very snobbish attitude toward pop singers. Midnights was a very lazy effort. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 2

COADF annihilating the poll :clap3:

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Andrew27373 said:

Europe was richer and more influential than the U.S. in the 00s. 

GDP in 2005

USA: $13,039.00B

Every European countries combined: $11,910.87B

No it wasn't :bibliahh:

OT: It's objectively Midnights. Since 2005, COADF moved 13.3M units. Midnights moved 11.5M units in 8 months. It'll literally be ahead in a couple months max. 

Edited by The Music Industry
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

Midnights. Some arguments made in this thread are laughable tho :mandown:

COADF for all. f69febc27b9d4ac998ffd2e44305d2854b0ba30e.gifv

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

On 7/27/2023 at 12:31 AM, naval23 said:

Confessions easily - it was the 2nd biggest album of Europe of 2005 

And Midnights was the 2nd biggest album of 2022 globally with only two months of sale.

Edited by Axelios

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.