2. 2. Better album?

• COADF
    • Midnights
  3. 3. Better MVs?

• COADF
    • Midnights

Just now, stevyy said:

streaming era = / = sales era.

COADF sold 10 million copies which comprises 80% of its total consumption. 

There is no comparison on sales. On streaming Taylor is ahead. We need to separate the two things. Hung Up would be at 2 billion streams as well if it was released in the streaming era judging by it hitting #1 in 40+ countries in 2005. Confessions would be at 15 billion streams if it was a streaming era album. <3

Trying to limit the conversation to pure sales only in 2023 is misguided and serves only to illustrate that you know the answer is Midnights if we consider all consumption channels. Unit conversions literally exist - and are used by industry authorities like Billboard - to enable comparisons like this across different consumption eras.

• Thanks 1

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stevyy

• HappierJealousy

• Chris

• Blackout2006

1 minute ago, stevyy said:

Confessions would be at 15 billion streams if it was a streaming era album. <3

:bibliahh::bibliahh:

It’s not even the top 5 album of 2005 let’s not

It’s funny cause you call other people delusional and everything you post is pure delusion

• Thumbs Down 1

Just now, Smilers said:

Stop with these troll threads, the answer will always be Taylor

lol. The answer is Madonna. Everyone knows it. Your community must return to their senses.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 2

2 hours ago, Shinseito said:

The Swifties here must be children. Go read :giraffe:

This is so true and slightly embarrassing that I would even reply to that Midnights being risky post, what if there’s a very young Swiftie at the other end, I don’t want to engage with that. 

If it’s a mature crazy person, I’m at peace with that 😅

• Like 1

Just now, HappierJealousy said:

:bibliahh::bibliahh:

It’s not even the top 5 album of 2005 let’s not

It’s funny cause you call other people delusional and everything you post is pure delusion

It's funny because you don't understand anything about the charts from 2005. <3

Confessions is kinda better than any taylor album, not just midnights 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Just now, stevyy said:

It's funny because you don't understand anything about the charts from 2005. <3

Yes so any big album from 2005 can easily reach 15B while the biggest album on Spotify rn is like 13B:bibliahh:

2 minutes ago, Cruel Summer said:

Trying to limit the conversation to pure sales only in 2023 is misguided and serves only to illustrate that you know the answer is Midnights if we consider all consumption channels. Unit conversions literally exist - and are used by industry authorities like Billboard - to enable comparisons like this across different consumption eras.

limiting the conversation to an exploding streaming market is equally not true. 

I have provided COADF continental performance (albeit pure sales only) bc streaming did not exist.

COADF was everywhere all at once so to speak. Smashing in all parts of this planet, we call earth.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Mordecai said:

>folklore

>experimental

:bibliahh:

I gave in to Swifties propaganda :sorry:

Just now, HappierJealousy said:

Yes so any big album from 2005 can easily reach 15B while the biggest album on Spotify rn is like 13B:bibliahh:

there you go... the value of sales keep the big albums ahead. (as they should be). 

2 minutes ago, stevyy said:

limiting the conversation to an exploding streaming market is equally not true. 

I have provided COADF continental performance (albeit pure sales only) bc streaming did not exist.

COADF was everywhere all at once so to speak. Smashing in all parts of this planet, we call earth.

Well, it’s good that I generously acknowledged Confessions’ and Midnights’ pure sales as part of their totals, then.

there you go... the value of sales keep the big albums ahead. (as they should be). 

So according to you Future Nostalgia which only sell like 500k copies we is a flop album:clap3:

good to know

19 minutes ago, Cruel Summer said:

Midnights for all.

The only question here that’s really objective in any way is the “bigger” question. While ChartMasters is a somewhat contentious source, I’ll use them as a useful reference. According to their method of calculating units, Confessions sits at around 13.4 million units. Midnights is already at 11.5 million units while still charting quite well, including in the top five in the US; it will surpass Confessions this year.

Having the US fully on your side really helps in terms of overall commercial impact. Confessions is maybe close to 2 million units there and hasn’t reached double platinum eligibility, while Midnights is already eligible for 5x platinum and will eventually be diamond-eligible in the US. To put things into further perspective, Midnights surpassed Confessions’ total units in the US in about two weeks.

So Madonna = global

Taylor =  popular in republican states

:cm:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Raptus said:

I gave in to Swifties propaganda :sorry:

So American life can be called as “experimental” but folklore can’t?

Yes you should give in

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, HappierJealousy said:

So according to you Future Nostalgia which only sell like 500k copies we is a flop album:clap3:

good to know

I did not say that. In the streaming era, the album was a smash. See... incomparable to sales era albums (albeit 2005 was hardly the sales peak).

I did not say that. In the streaming era, the album was a smash. See... incomparable to sales era albums (albeit 2005 was hardly the sales peak).

Yes and Midnights has higher position in IFPI year-end chart, so it’s relatively bigger:cm:

2 minutes ago, Cruel Summer said:

Well, it’s good that I generously acknowledged Confessions’ and Midnights’ pure sales as part of their totals, then.

I hope you see that Madonna and Taylor cannot be compared on streaming as only Taylor gets significant streams...

equally so, Taylor cannot be compared to Madonna's sales... Madonna sold 205 million albums (pure). Her streaming activity is rising, but far from the young streaming kids. 

Unless you think Midnghts is also bigger than Abbey Road or Thriller... i don't get the focus on streaming. 

An album in 2005 sold 10 million copies pure - which was phenomenal. (It sold that amount up till the 2010s when music sales collapsed) and has since added 2,5 million in streaming to that total. Absolutely phenomenal. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HappierJealousy said:

Yes and Midnights has higher position in IFPI year-end chart, so it’s relatively bigger:cm:

the music market was different back then. Unless you think that selling 4,5 million copies in 6 weeks is not groundbreaking, i cannot help you. Streaming did not exist.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, stevyy said:

the music market was different back then. Unless you think that selling 4,5 million copies in 6 weeks is not groundbreaking, i cannot help you. Streaming did not exist.

The position of IFPI year end chart has no relationship with the change of music market. The bigger album will have higher position and that’s it. Yes, selling 4.5 million WW in 6 weeks in 2005 is not something super impressive, cause it has another 5 albums sell more in that year, and it didn’t break any record in pure sales, while Midnights broke numerous streaming records. Hope this would help:bird:

Edited by HappierJealousy

People thinking Midnights is bigger and again downplaying COADF's success.

CBC

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, HappierJealousy said:

Yes, selling 4.5 million WW in 6 weeks in 2005 is not something super impressive, cause it has another 5 albums sell more in that year

Wow.

:rip: :rip: :rip: :rip:

• Haha 1

This thread is SO embarrassing.

Edited by Chris

Just now, Chris said:

Wow.

:rip: :rip: :rip: :rip:

I’m not saying COADF is not a smash album or this is not impressive, it just not something you can prove that it’s more successful than Midnights :bird:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.