Charli tweets that art doesn't have to appease everyone, defends Troye & Sam Smith

mystery

Guessing that this is about Troye and the Rush music video.

She also made a comment about Sam Smith.

Edited by mystery

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Communion

• Miichael

• mystery

• SmittenCake

Good for her for standing up for her friend!

troye-rush.thumb.gif.27de71910b162fadd27

• Like 1

AP

I mean that is why most people are familiar with the term "art is subjective".

The "Every Rule" singer snappedT.

Meh. I think many  feel  like every gay artist is making everyhting about sex and drugs. Like aren’t we as a community demonized and accused of only caring about those two things enough already 💀 I think that’s perfectly fine to think that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Down 5

She’s right though I think artists are afraid to be unique nowadays because no matter what they do they will get dragged. Maybe that’s why a sizeable chunk of our faves are avoiding releasing new albums like it’s the last thing they want to do.

• Like 1

shes right

• Haha 6

:deadbanana:

6 minutes ago, GhostBox said:

Meh. I think many  feel  like every gay artist is making everyhting about sex and drugs. Like aren’t we as a community demonized and accused of only caring about those two things enough already 💀 I think that’s perfectly fine to think that. 

It’s not perfectly fine to think that. It’s the opposite actually. Gay artists should be as free to sing about sex or drugs as straight artists. We don’t need to “hide” ourselves from whoever hates the gay community. They hate us for being gay. Period. It doesn’t matter if we have sex or do drugs - they’ll hate us regardless. Let gay artists do whatever they want without burdening them with the weight of “representing the community”. Best representation we can have is an artist being out and proud and I’m happy we’re having more of that these days.

• Thanks 10

Just now, taemin said:

It’s not perfectly fine to think that. It’s the opposite actually. Gay artists should be as free to sing about sex or drugs as straight artists. We don’t need to “hide” ourselves from whoever hates the gay community. They hate us for being gay. Period. It doesn’t matter if we have sex or do drugs - they’ll hate us regardless. Let gay artists do whatever they want without burdening them with the weight of “representing the community”. Best representation we can have is an artist being out and proud and I’m happy we’re having more of that these days.

It is perfectly fine to think that. Just like it’s fine if you enjoy it 🤷 not every gay person enjoys being painted as a drugged up sex addict all the time and that’s ok. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

It's crazy how we in general stan a bunch of straight pop divas, which 90% of time are doing music videos with Abercrombie dudes 
but hey "Troye is committing an inexcusable sin:chick2:"

Some of these divas also are just white skinny girls, and that's the whole reason they reached the top of the industry. :bird:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I had no idea what she was referring to until reading these comments. JFC. These ppl’s idea of fun is posting Notes app screenshots & they wonder why they’re not feeling represented in a video about having fun & being sexy. You don’t have to look like the dudes in the video to feel the vibe unless you’re totally vain & narcissistic & need to have your image validated by society 24/7. And why do these ppl always treat fatness & disability as equivalent terms? Idk how these pop stars don’t blow their lid & go off @ this nonsense

• Thanks 3

There’s a deeper discussion to be had. I think representation is a cause championed by people trying to cope with their alienation. The power media has shaping a person’s outlook shouldn’t be underestimated but a caricature from which to live through vicariously will not be your best chance of freedom. 

• Like 7

There’s literally no backlash to this song or video. Just a manufactured discourse to literally no one’s benefit. If you don’t like the song or video, then don’t watch it.

Luv Charli and Rush but she should have sat down and ate her food imo. I get that Troye's her friend but no need to jump on the discourse sis (although what she said is true, I just don't think the comparison works).

Edited by State of Grace.
  • Thumbs Down 1

6 minutes ago, GhostBox said:

It is perfectly fine to think that. Just like it’s fine if you enjoy it 🤷 not every gay person enjoys being painted as a drugged up sex addict all the time and that’s ok. 

this song/video is not "painting" you as anything. and acceptable pete buttigieg'd corporate eunuch types aren't "painting" you as anything either. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

she’s correct 

21 minutes ago, SmittenCake said:

:deadbanana:

:bibliahh: Hunny what is this

3 minutes ago, State of Grace. said:

Luv Charli and Rush but she should have sat down and ate her food imo. I get that Troye's her friend but no need to jump on the discourse sis (although what she said is true, I just don't think the comparison works).

she doesnt like to see her friend getting dragged all over social media and being called all sorts of names bc of something so...unimportant. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

The idea of someone owing you representation is so absurd. Like, I understand and appreciate it in a very basic sense and think critiques about lacking representation on a show like Friends is valid, but at some point you have to accept that you are not in a position to just demand it whenever you please so you can fulfill your own personal fantasies about having oral sex in a nightclub.

Edited by Domination
  • Thanks 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.