Speak Now Reviews Thread | Metacritic — 81 (=)

Taylor fanboy

Your verdict?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Poll just for fun!

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Taylor fanboy

• Cloröx

• KatyPrismSpirit

• FolkLover1989

On 7/6/2023 at 12:08 PM, =NEX= said:

Red 77 vs Red TV 91 💀

The extra tracks certainly didn't improve the overall quality. Taylor is the literal proof of poptimism's existence. 

No only poptism, but proff fear of stans also exist :eli:

• Thumbs Down 1

Can anyone tell me why so many reviews are yet on added on Metacritic page?

Slant , Sputnik etc.. we need to get many as possible cause P4K will pan this for sure :deadbanana4:

I feel like the P4k review will be uploaded tomorrow morning

15 hours ago, FolkLover1989 said:

Can anyone tell me why so many reviews are yet on added on Metacritic page?

Slant , Sputnik etc.. we need to get many as possible cause P4K will pan this for sure :deadbanana4:

I don't think Metacritic adds reviews in the weekend, or at least not on Sunday. However there is nothing to stop albumoftheyear from adding the ones that are eligible and right now they only have one more review listed than Metacritic.

https://www.albumoftheyear.org/album/661201-taylor-swift-speak-now-taylors-version.php

Perhaps there will more posted on Monday during business hours. Did the Observer post a review yet?

Clash Music - 8/10

Alex Berry

Spoiler

Despite her vocal improvement some of the more pop central songs on the record such as ‘Sparks Fly’ sound a little more tired than the original. This iconic track isn’t delivered with the same angsty rage that you will find in the 2010 version, but these small changes seem insignificant in relation to Taylor’s massive achievement in producing her re-records.

Edited by Taylor fanboy

SLANT - 4/5

Jonathan Keefe

Spoiler

Ultimately, this project is another instance in which Swift’s maturity as an artist has elevated her formative work. “Back to December,” “Dear John,” and “Enchanted” were always tremendous songs, and the thoughtful new arrangements and Swift’s more nuanced vocal phrasing now put them fully on par with the best recordings in her catalog. “Sparks Fly,” given a more sluggish pace, is the only track that isn’t improved upon here. If the original Speak Nowhighlighted what Swift needed to do to refine her artistry, Taylor’s Version proves that she’s actually done it.

The back to back Sparks Fly (2023) panning! @KOMH

:redface:

American Songwriter 4.5/5

I guess we back to acclaim territory :clap3:

Finally something above 80% :clap3:songwriters recognize songwriters

Thanks to the mod updating the title. 

Y’all can’t wait huh? :deadbanana2:

• Haha 3

shes PANNED

Spoiler

on opposite day only :giraffe:

22 hours ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

I feel like the P4k review will be uploaded tomorrow morning

Positive review - stay at 80

Mixed / Negative review - down by one to 79

P4K Best New Music is at 8.5, The Greater Wings.

We might be seeing a 7, and the score going down to 79.

American Songwriter - 4.5/5

Alex Hopper

Spoiler

While the Taylor’s Version project makes all the sense in the world for Swift’s purposes, to some, the idea of re-recording an album might seem trite. Swift is on her third Taylor’s Version release and those outside of the Swiftie circle seem to be asking “What’s the point?” more and more. For those with the same question, there is no short answer.

The idea of regaining a piece of her identity rings particularly true for Speak Now. A young Swift wrote the entirety of Speak Now on her own, turning the other cheek toward critics who chalked up her early success to the prestige of her co-writers. Never before had Swift’s personality been so at the forefront of her music and her reputation as a candid and consequential songwriter began to take shape. 

16 hours ago, Cloröx said:

American Songwriter 4.5/5

I guess we back to acclaim territory :clap3:

Amazing review!

The re-recorded version of Speak Now is for the kid that found solace in the album back in 2010. The one that grew up alongside Swift and used her experiences to inform their own. Swift is not just a hitmaker, she’s a cultural purveyor who has made her name by finding a direct line to her fans’ souls. You don’t generate the kind of fervor the world is seeing on her current tour by having a few catchy songs. Those fans who dedicated their year to seeing Swift on the road are doing so because she’s been a guiding force in their lives since they were teens learning to find their voice through the lens of Swift finding hers on Speak Now. 

1 minute ago, sasashite said:

Variety review should be included. It's probably a 90+ like the other re-recordings.

https://variety.com/2023/music/album-reviews/taylor-swift-vault-tracks-speak-now-taylors-version-hayley-williams-1235663674/

I’ve posted this here earlier as a “commentary” since they are not counted in MC.

19 minutes ago, Taylor fanboy said:

I’ve posted this here earlier as a “commentary” since they are not counted in MC.

Hope they count it. Red TV's review took a few days to be included in MC.

Just now, sasashite said:

Hope they count it. Red TV's review took a few days to be included in MC.

Thanks for that! Was Red’s an album full review? 

33 minutes ago, Taylor fanboy said:

Thanks for that! Was Red’s an album full review? 

Although the first paragraphs are about the whole Red (Taylor's Version), the review is focused on the vault tracks. The writer even made a commentary on each one rating them. Take a look:

https://variety.com/2021/music/album-reviews/taylor-swift-red-taylors-version-album-review-all-too-well-1235110634/

The Speak Now review is actually only for the vault tracks. Apparently he'll review the full album soon:

A more careful inspection of the 16 re-recorded tracks will have to wait, since the details of what feels the same or different bear a certain amount of forensic analysis, or at least repeated A/B comparisons. (Of course, the whole world has just done an instant side-by-side of the altered lyrics of “Better Than Revenge” — see our story about that here.) But before we figure out how more or less haunting the new “Haunted” is, here are insta-reactions to the six never-before-heard tunes.

Edited by sasashite
  • Thanks 1

Did P4K say they are going to review it?

The Observer still review albums and they didn't review it and P4K might not either.

1 minute ago, Letemtalk said:

Did P4K say they are going to review it?

The Observer still review albums and they didn't review it and P4K might not either.

They will not miss a clickbait-coin in this time and age. They will review it.

Edited by Taylor fanboy

Pitchfork gave two BNMs in a row and there’s still PJ Harvey’s album to go as well, I think it’s possible they do a week of BNM’s (they did this in Feb 2022 when there were a lot of major releases) concluding with Taylor for the extra clickbait. Otherwise I don’t see why they wouldn’t have done Anohni/Julie on Friday (when they do P4Kcore), Taylor on Monday (when they do Pop), then Anohni/Julie later that week but maybe I’m overthinking it lol. I’m also hesitant that they would give her another one

Edited by Sanguine

Billboard ranks the Vault tracks

Spoiler

6. Castle’s Crumbling

5. Foolish One

4. Electric Touch

3. Timeless

2. When Emma Falls In Love

1. I Can See You

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.