Speak Now Reviews Thread | Metacritic — 81 (=)

Taylor fanboy

Your verdict?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Poll just for fun!

Embarrassing. Seems like Ava Max is The Beatles of our generation, not Taylor 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Taylor fanboy

• Cloröx

• KatyPrismSpirit

• FolkLover1989

My issue with The Guardian review isn’t that she’s not fawning over the album or stuck up Taylor’s ass, it’s her sudden switch-up on the re-recordings in general. 

If she doesn’t like SN TV because of the vocal changes or production, fine. It’s fair game, and she’s well within her rights to say she just doesn’t like the album. But to literally say the re-recordings are “pointless” when not that long ago she took part in a whole ass podcast episode surrounding not only Taylor’s re-recording process but artists in general re-claiming their work, and appeared to not only understand it but also champion it, feels like she is just looking for something else to pick apart. Just say you don’t like this re-recording. 

I also found the bit about releasing the remaining three albums as a box set to be very weird. She essentially reduced 1989 and Rep to the tabloid fodder they provided when she mentioned that their press cycles seemed too new to revisit. I won’t even get into the “branding” comments about Eras. 

All in all, it seemed like she was reviewing ‘Taylor Swift the person as of late’ just as much as she was reviewing Speak Now TV, but only one of those felt fair to me. :michael:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

People finally realizing that Taylor's music is mediocre.

I couldn't finish listening to Speak Now in full. What a snooze fest OMG. :zzz:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 14

It's actually an 80.

Edited by Klein
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, ttsmu said:

People finally realizing that Taylor's music is mediocre.

I couldn't finish listening to Speak Now in full. What a snooze fest OMG. :zzz:

I think we all knew you’d run in here to leave yet another obsessive comment. Hope you don’t hit your react limit giving every Taylor post a laughing reaction or thumbs down. :heart:

the Guardian review is also particularly lame because of this 

Swift is currently engaged in a huge retrospective project, the world-conquering Eras tour, in which she plays songs from each of her albums (bar the debut). (Canny branding again: most tours have a wide-ranging setlist.) 

like, we know?? it’s just a simple greatest hits tour, no one is saying she reinvented the wheel here. to call her out for “canny branding” as if she was being deceptive about it is so irresponsible 

• Like 3

Mhh nah some of yall are getting out of line, while the re-recording(s) is(/are) pretty dull, Speak Now itself is still an amazing album and better music than 90% of atrl's other faves can come up with, let's get that striaght now :giraffe: (it's simply that the OG is better)

she deserved a 4/10 for doing that to better than revenge, such a watered down version

37 minutes ago, TaylorNation said:

like, we know?? it’s just a simple greatest hits tour, no one is saying she reinvented the wheel here. to call her out for “canny branding” as if she was being deceptive about it is so irresponsible 

It's so obvious that woman is incredibly pressed and bitter about Taylor's success lmao. Even if the album ends up in the 70s it's still a very good score and the sales aren't going down anyway so...

I feel bad that she has such a miserable life she's forced to write an article about someone she clearly envies, while still knowing no matter what she says, Taylor will continue to be successful anyways.

Edited by Disconnect
  • Like 2

Although it is sad to see this gets 7x.

But at least this can be prove that critics are still professional to her,

Thus making invalid some argue told taylor is critic darling. 

Lower than OG, guess poptimism is over for Her. Not looking for to ts11:rip:

2 hours ago, ttsmu said:

mediocre.

mwEaDVL.thumb.jpg.7419a2a0a69dd25fc336b5

Bffr, you're on every Taylor thread "trolling" and thinking you're doing something while stanning THIS? IJBOL:ahh::ahh:

Edited by Trainwreck
  • Haha 2

I loved the album because I never cared to check on Speak Now OG lmao, besides the reviews are positive so far. I think it's ok to realize that not every Taylor release has to be praised to Heaven, she's still gonna have a few missteps here and there and that's ok :rip:

8 minutes ago, Trainwreck said:

mwEaDVL.thumb.jpg.7419a2a0a69dd25fc336b5

Bffr, you're on every Taylor thread "trolling" and thinking you're doing something while stanning THIS? IJBOL:ahh::ahh:

I stan pure talent sweetie :clap3:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I just skimmed the review from Spin, and it seems pretty positive. Maybe the critics aren't turning after all. :celestial5:

It's now at 78 (6 reviews). If i didn't go check it myself, i would think from the OTHs commenting here that it's a panned album. :ace:

Edited by Taylena

Just now, Taylena said:

It's now at 76 (6 reviews). If i didn't go check it myself, i would think from the OTHs commenting here that it's a panned album. :ace:

78 sis! Even better! :celestial4:

• Like 1

SputnikMusic: 4/5

Panned is cancelled :gaycatney2:

• ATRL Moderator

She deserves a score around ~50 for what she did to If This Was A Grammy :gaycat5:

On 7/6/2023 at 10:08 PM, =NEX= said:

Red 77 vs Red TV 91 💀

The extra tracks certainly didn't improve the overall quality. Taylor is the literal proof of poptimism's existence. 

Red was underrated in the first place. Only to be hailed as her magnum opus years later. :coffee2:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TaylorNation said:

And Taylor is on the phone to quickly extend her London dates up to 9 as we speak. :fan:

• Like 1

So she forgot to send her cheques to The Guardian this time round?

Questions for the culture:

I will get dragged but I don't care. I agree with the Guardian review. Changing lyrics is insulting to the fans. "Better Than Revenge" is good BECAUSE it's **** shaming. She dragged her for filth and left no crumbs only the way a rich passive aggressive white woman can and we LIVED for it. Don't lie. "But women are supposed to stand together!" yeah yeah whatever, that's not what you were saying as you sang along at full volume to she's better known for the things that does on the mattress woooahhh

And honestly... they are right about the vocals. Her youthful tone is part of what made Fearless and Speak Now so special. With Red I actually prefer her vocals now and the more mature songwriting and production choices pair well with it. But the new versions of Wigless and Shart Now just don't have that same je ne sais quoi as the originals. Also the original productions were better, like the guitars just sounded cleaner idk why. Idk who this Christopher Rowe man is but he's not Nathan Champan. I will be streaming Stolen Version of Shart Now I am sorry to say. Is it immoral? Perhaps. But so was performing at the CCP shopping day event or whatever that Lover promo in China was, and I didn't care then, so I won't care now either. Scooter got his coin but so is Taylor. She may be a sensitive human who wants to own her artistic work, but she is also showbiz plutocrat cyborgian queen of pop at the end of the day. Cry not for her in this world of poverty and injustice we live in.

Alexa play Better Than Revenge (Stolen Version)

Note: all nicknames for albums in this post are given with a friendly wink and much love, please don't report ok thanks bye

• Like 5
  • Haha 3
  • Thumbs Down 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.