Box Office Discussion | The Fall Guys disappoint, Garfield's an surprise smash WW

Gwendolyn

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• V$.

• BNF91

• Lovett

• Arcadius

Top Posters In This Topic

the beekeeper estimated to be ahead of mean girls in their 3rd weekends together.

i imagine its audience got precisely what they expected/wanted, unlike a sizable portion of the latter.

color purple estimated to have crossed $60 mil by a smidge after 5 weeks: $60,003,891 

Josh Hutcherson with 2 box office hits back to back. I used to pray for times like this.

On 1/28/2024 at 4:55 PM, fridayteenage said:

the beekeeper estimated to be ahead of mean girls in their 3rd weekends together.

i imagine its audience got precisely what they expected/wanted, unlike a sizable portion of the latter.

color purple estimated to have crossed $60 mil by a smidge after 5 weeks: $60,003,891 

looks like both studios overestimated their #s a bit but Mean Girls still pulled ahead for a 3rd consecutive wknd: https://deadline.com/2024/01/box-office-mean-girls-beekeeper-1235806489/

Paramount starting the year with another W, to think this was set for streaming only :skull:

also #1 for a 2nd week in the UK: https://www.screendaily.com/news/all-of-us-strangers-makes-strong-1m-start-at-uk-ireland-box-office-mean-girls-reigns-with-15m/5189941.article

Edited by okgo

Sydney Sweeny winning again, somehow she always stays here :clap3:

• ATRL Moderator
On 1/28/2024 at 8:55 AM, fridayteenage said:

What a disaster. A third of the final gross from a single day.

• Like 1

The way the Euphoria cast absolutely skyrocketed after season 2. Jacob, Hunter, Sydney... Damn. Some of them aren't probably coming back to Season 3. 

Where are you and what are you doing, Alexa? 

Edited by Blade Runner

On 1/29/2024 at 3:54 PM, Blade Runner said:

The way the Euphoria cast absolutely skyrocketed after season 2. Jacob, Hunter, Sydney... Damn. Some of them aren't probably coming back to Season 3. 

Where are you and what are you doing, Alexa? 

+ Colman.

That season will likely not happen or be an absolute dud like The Idol, though. People are too booked, not mention the bad press and an actor who passed.

Edited by Life Savers

Argylle set to bomb this weekend. A $15-20M debut is the current forecast. 

I’m currently in the hallway of a movie theater because my parents asked me to take my brother to see The Beekeeper, and while it is absolutely horrible (like this is the 4th time I’ve faked a bathroom break :skull:) I can see why the 2A middle aged brain-rotted white men are making this movie do well because it’s right up their alley. I hate that this demographic still can make movies geared towards them succeed. And I’m literally both bored and cringing out of my mind. I wish gays possessed this same pull though :rip: 

• Thumbs Down 2

argylle flopping makes it the third apple original to flop in the past six months, and yet they'll still give out another 200 million dollars to directors with reasonable cache in the industry. it's one thing when it's scorsese and kotfm, but this argylle movie just has direct to streaming written all over it.

audiences are smart enough to smell that stench. putting a whole bunch of famous people in your movie won't change that.

37 minutes ago, supercutofus said:

argylle flopping makes it the third apple original to flop in the past six months, and yet they'll still give out another 200 million dollars to directors with reasonable cache in the industry. it's one thing when it's scorsese and kotfm, but this argylle movie just has direct to streaming written all over it.

audiences are smart enough to smell that stench. putting a whole bunch of famous people in your movie won't change that.

What’s annoying is how everyone just overlooks these Apple movies bombing because they just have so much money. Like yeah no **** they do. But if y’all think Apple went into the movie business and intended on never producing a successful film then you’re an idiot. :deadbanana4:

9 minutes ago, Arcadius said:

What’s annoying is how everyone just overlooks these Apple movies bombing because they just have so much money. Like yeah no **** they do. But if y’all think Apple went into the movie business and intended on never producing a successful film then you’re an idiot. :deadbanana4:

exactly. i think you can make an argument for something like kotfm being a film they mostly funded for awards acclaim, but argylle doesn't fit that bill whatsoever. there's no way they produced this without the intention that it would be a box office hit and would help them make some money back from those more awards driven ventures.

companies don't make movies to just set money on fire.

Looks like audiences are waiting for Dune Part 2 and it's projected $10M+ previews. With a dead market when it releases, hoping it can really breakout for $200M domestic and beyond. 

well, netflix pours huge budgets into films and they're somewhat immune from being seen as flops cuz they have short, small theatrical windows at most. but i'm sure several are big money losers in terms of the # of subscribers they bring in vs. those megabudgets.

• ATRL Moderator
14 hours ago, fridayteenage said:

well, netflix pours huge budgets into films and they're somewhat immune from being seen as flops cuz they have short, small theatrical windows at most. but i'm sure several are big money losers in terms of the # of subscribers they bring in vs. those megabudgets.

Exactly. There is no way something like Red Notice makes back its budget in value for the company either.

Argylle debut with a paltry $1.7M Thursday previews :rip:

D.O.A. 

Anyone but you beat mean girls Thursday. It's been very steady on weekdays 

Argylle receives a C+ CinemaScore.

spacer.png

Oh it’s over Miss Argylle

Cracking Up Lol GIF

C+? What a bomb...

I got tickets for next Wednesday... considering my choices now :ahh:

Massive bomb :rip:

• ATRL Moderator

What a weird promotional campaign. I literally hadn't even heard of Argylle before I saw a trailer before Mean Girls a few weeks ago. Sure, they really ramped up the advertising in the lead-up to release, but I'm not surprised it bombed.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.