How did Christina Aguilera get away with wearing blackface & cultural appropriation?

johnny_9ss

She wasn't in blackface, the silly sausage was just burnt orange from all that fake tanner. Bronzer was also in. Also, yes she was vulturing from black culture like the majority of her white peers were doing in that era. The elders understandably didn't have time for it but my generation didn't care as much, so long as they wasn't trying to be slick and say the n-word or talk **** about black people. J. Lo didn't get the memo apparently because the whole community came for her neck back in 2001 LOL. iykyk. 

Edited by Soda Pop Queen
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• banterfly

• brenda-walsh

• professor2000

• JayG

45 minutes ago, banterfly said:

You are literally making this all up in your head.

27 minutes ago, Power love said:

This is in your head you’re delusional. 

i'm guessing you two aren't black, because if you were you'd understand how white people, especially in the entertainment industry, constantly profit off of black culture because they view it as something thats cool and edgy. once it no longer serves their purpose they move on. like i said earlier in this thread, xtina is not the only example of this.

there's miley, ariana, justin bieber, etc who have all used this same blueprint

3 hours ago, Shimenawa said:

It was a different time, and no one was offended back then. She was showing her appreciation of other races and cultures. 

This is such a fallacy, people were offended back then too but they weren’t listened to

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

barbiegrande
3 hours ago, Josh said:

Christina always praised black culture and music by black artists. She never used it as a way to gain a fanbase like Ariana or Miley. 

Ariana was covering Alicia Keys and Indie Arie at 16. She’s always given credit to her black influences and contributors since  the beginning of her career as well. 

Edited by barbiegrande

Stop. Just stop. 

You're probably too young to know that spray tans were a major fad in the 00's. 

Shall we ask why Beyonce hasn't been called out for her 50 Shades of Brown throughout her career?

How about black women who dye their hair blonde or straighten it?

Go get a job instead of finding reasons to be offended. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 6

52 minutes ago, brenda-walsh said:

i'm guessing you two aren't black, because if you were you'd understand how white people, especially in the entertainment industry, constantly profit off of black culture because they view it as something thats cool and edgy. once it no longer serves their purpose they move on. like i said earlier in this thread, xtina is not the only example of this.

there's miley, ariana, justin bieber, etc who have all used this same blueprint

I didn't know r&b/urban/hiphop music are for black people only. Are you also offended by Eminem and Vanilla ice?

I'm guessing you're also not familiar with what Xtina was doing in the early part of her career? She was switching visuals/music with almost every album. She never once claimed she was doing it to be edgy/cool. She did on many instances claim that she was inspired by Etta James during that period though.

And the examples you mentioned were people who were inspired by black music. Are you offended by white people getting inspired by white people? Is that such a big crime?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

I remember this pale woman wearing an Afro as recently as on The Voice and calling it cotton candy hair :rip: 

• Thumbs Down 2

4 minutes ago, MonsterOfFame said:

Stop. Just stop. 

You're probably too young to know that spray tans were a major fad in the 00's. 

Shall we ask why Beyonce hasn't been called out for her 50 Shades of Brown throughout her career?

How about black women who dye their hair blonde or straighten it?

Go get a job instead of finding reasons to be offended. 

Blonde hair/straight =/= white features. Are you dumb? There are black people with natural blonde hair. Go out a little more 💀 

I miss the period when music was for everyone.

I grew up listening to many Asian singers looking up to, getting inspired by, and sometimes copying Western singers. We didn't think it was wrong, and the people who were the source of inspiration didn't mind it and were actually flattered by it.

Around the same time I also saw Madonna and Janet using Asian culture in their music and videos. We were all amazed by how global and connected everything was.

Now people are gatekeeping music by skin color...and shaming people for being inspired by artists they have grown up listening to.

• Like 10

Just now, Embustera said:

Blonde hair/straight =/= white features. Are you dumb? There are black people with natural blonde hair. Go out a little more 💀 

Where can we find this? 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, americanshameless said:

I remember this pale woman wearing an Afro as recently as on The Voice and calling it cotton candy hair :rip: 

Maybe because if she calls it "afro" some sensitive people might call it appropriating. There are pale people with natural curls.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 3

3 minutes ago, banterfly said:

Where can we find this? 

I am black with natural blonde hair. Go travel a little more. Get out of that white bubble you live in :rip:

Just now, banterfly said:

Maybe because if she calls it "afro" some sensitive people might call it appropriating. There are pale people with natural curls.

Afro is not the same as curls. You really don’t know what you talking about. My god. Don’t embarrass yourself like that 💀 

Just now, Embustera said:

I am black with natural blonde hair. Go travel a little more. Get out of that white bubble you live in :rip:

Are you a Melanesian pacific islander or maybe mixed?

1 minute ago, banterfly said:

Are you a Melanesian pacific islander or maybe mixed?

Girl bye :rip: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Embustera said:

Afro is not the same as curls. You really don’t know what you talking about. My god. Don’t embarrass yourself like that 💀 

I know the difference. I don't know how her hair actually looked like so I just gave another possibility that maybe some people mistaken it for afro.

1 minute ago, Embustera said:

Girl bye :rip: 

For my education, where can we find black people with natural blonde hair? And genetically, how does that work? 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Josh said:

Christina always praised black culture and music by black artists. She never used it as a way to gain a fanbase like Ariana or Miley. 

Ariana literally never did this lmfao. Miley, kind of with Bangerz, I agree there. But Ariana? Delusional.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, brenda-walsh said:

thank you, i can't with all the people in this thread saying "it was cultural appreciation" and "no one cared back then" as if she clearly wasn't doing this for controversy and to change her image like every other white teen pop idol.

jt, bieber, britney, miley, ariana have all cosplayed as black and suddenly surrounded themselves with only black people to make their image seem more edgy/ grown-up then ditched the look when it no longer served them

Britney & Ariana have not done this at all lmfao. Please.

26 minutes ago, banterfly said:

I didn't know r&b/urban/hiphop music are for black people only. Are you also offended by Eminem and Vanilla ice?

I'm guessing you're also not familiar with what Xtina was doing in the early part of her career? She was switching visuals/music with almost every album. She never once claimed she was doing it to be edgy/cool. She did on many instances claim that she was inspired by Etta James during that period though.

And the examples you mentioned were people who were inspired by black music. Are you offended by white people getting inspired by white people? Is that such a big crime?

god you can't be this ignorant :skull:

4 hours ago, Trash said:

Times were different, you had Gween serving chola and harujuku for a whole era.

I think JLo got away with throwing the n word in a song roo.

To be fair, New York Puerto Ricans and Dominicans (especially those from the Bronx like JLO) say the N word to this day, and they pretty much have a pass from their African-American counterparts. It’s a NY thing.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.