Challengers | by Guadagnino w/ Zendaya, Faist and O'Connor | MC: 83 / RT: 88%

Antisocialites

24 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

I wasn't a huge fan of her in the Dune movies, but she bodied this role. Who are her peers exactly?

There isn't really anyone of her age that's as famous as her, but I would consider Anya, Saorise, Florence to be her peers and I think Zendaya is nowhere near their acting abilities.

Out of the last gen of actresses, Margot and Jennifer Lawrence were a lot stronger than Zendaya at her age too 

• Like 3

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• James_Dean

• Lovett

• levi_valvi

• vale9001

Mike Feist deserves an Oscar nominee but i guess it's really hard to stay in the conversarion when the movie came so early.

Also guadagnino should release queer already this year during the season so the attention will be on that.

5 hours ago, Saintlor said:

Zendaya's acting abilities are seriously lacking in comparison to her peers

I like Zendaya as a celebrity, but when it comes to her acting, I think she's usually either mediocre or outright bad. I was shocked she was getting acclaim for Dune 2 since she stood out like a sore thumb, acting-wise. However, I've always thought she had potential, as she seems to me like someone who wants to be not just a star but a true actress. I went into Challengers viewing it as a make-or-break moment in terms of whether I consider her that. I left pleasantly surprised, because she was good! Not great, but definitely her best performance up until now IMO. Ironically, although this is her breakout "adult" role, she was most compelling in the scenes where she played a younger version of her character. There were moments where she seemed effortless, and I found myself almost whispering "Holdddd it!!!" hoping she would retain that immersion in her role. Sometimes she did, sometimes she didn't. I agree with you that her acting isn't at the level of an Anya Taylor-Joy, Florence Pugh, or Saoirse Ronan, and perhaps in this way, her fame is "unearned" but her proving she can deliver with a good script and director gives me hope that she can blossom into the great actress she's been propped up to be.

Edited by BOOMBAYAH
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, BOOMBAYAH said:

I like Zendaya as a celebrity, but when it comes to her acting, I think she's usually either mediocre or outright bad. I was shocked she was getting acclaim for Dune 2 since she stood out like a sore thumb, acting-wise. However, I've always thought she had potential, as she seems to me like someone who wants to be not just a star but a true actress. I went into Challengers viewing it as a make-or-break moment in terms of whether I consider her that. I left pleasantly surprised, because she was good! Not great, but definitely her best performance up until now IMO. Ironically, although this is her breakout "adult" role, she was most compelling in the scenes where she played a younger version of her character. There were moments where she seemed effortless, and I found myself almost whispering "Holdddd it!!!" hoping she would retain that immersion in her role. Sometimes she did, sometimes she didn't. I agree with you that her acting isn't at the level of an Anya Taylor-Joy, Florence Pugh, or Saoirse Ronan, and perhaps in this way, her fame is "unearned" but her proving she can deliver with a good script and director gives me hope that she can blossom into the great actress she's been propped up to be.

Zendaya is kind of the least talented superstar actress since Gwyneth Paltrow

Being famous in the acting/singing world just for looks seems outdated kind of like how the Britney Spears type pop star is dated

• Thumbs Down 3

27 minutes ago, BOOMBAYAH said:

But where She is supposed to have fame as actress?. Her fame Is only on social media. She made this movie cause She produced and She auto casted her before guadagnino was involved. Cause her social media appeal can work on streaming platforms so Amazon made a movie like this (has very low appeal for a big audience on a big screen only for this reason). The movie will open with around 15m included 2 days of previews so She lacks star Power to sell seats.

The idea "She Is big and requested" It's only a fake perception caused by the same marketing machine cause She Is not. 

Despite all the push in the next 2 years She doesn't have any kind of important project. All the actress you quoted are requested by Lanthimos, Scorsese, del Toro, Nolan, Gerwig, Anderson, tarantino etc. etc..

She is only requested to get social media engangment on blockbuster big esambled cast, no one in the industry seems to think to her as serious actor for now. 

Edited by vale9001
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Down 2

I really enjoyed this movie, the true stars were the camera and editing work, the cinematography, the soundtrack...

Z was good in it and Josh and Mike were solid, too. but I would be surprised if any of them get rave reviews and acclaim in terms of "acting" alone. as an ensemble, they worked super well.

• Like 1

I mean its expected opening is the same as jlaws recent r rated film

I love Zendaya down, however I totally understand the criticism behind her acting.  Rue in Euphoria remains her best work imo! Her acting seemed basic to me in Dune, everyone in that cast ate her up! I haven't seen Challenger, but excited to see her!!!   

• Like 1

So the bros kiss ?? Someone tell me if there's gay stuff in the film

6 hours ago, vale9001 said:

Mike Feist deserves an Oscar nominee but i guess it's really hard to stay in the conversarion when the movie came so early.

Also guadagnino should release queer already this year during the season so the attention will be on that.

This season might turn out odd because some movies that would have been in the conversation last year had to move to spring, and then a lot of movies that were aiming for a fall release this year will most likely miss it again - all of this due to the strikes. Obviously it's not good for the business, but definitely works in favor for the ones being released now, especially when the rumored sentiment in Hollywood right now is "survive till '25." 

1 hour ago, ThousandMiles said:

they make out near the beginning during a 3-way kiss scene with Zendaya. Nothing really explicit after that

• Thanks 1

is this the Serena Williams's biopic everyone's talking about? 

Looks interesting, I didn't know she was involved in a triangle relationship. 

We will be supporting our black Queen. 

• Haha 4
  • Confused 2

yeah this was pretty electric :jonnycat: plot was kinda boring but the vibez and the tennis scenes were thrilling and the SCORE jeez :duca:

4 hours ago, chris1991 said:

I love Zendaya down, however I totally understand the criticism behind her acting.  Rue in Euphoria remains her best work imo! Her acting seemed basic to me in Dune, everyone in that cast ate her up! I haven't seen Challenger, but excited to see her!!!   

she's kinda the weakest link here :dies: ironic since she's the biggest star/draw here

it's Faist and O'Conner's movie fr tho :giraffe:

The plot is not as stimulating or interesting as I was expecting but damn, Guadagnino is such a talented director. The score, editing, and cinematography all work together so well – he really knows what "good cinema" looks and sounds like.

Edited by EdgeofTeeth
  • Like 6

Luca did that 

EdgeofTeeth

It was such a refreshing movie….

and it make me kinda TERRIFIED for his next movie QUEER…the way he captures chracters on the movie is truly something else, it will be cultural reset :jonny5:

• Like 1

I loved this movie.  Zendaya was really good, and Mike and Josh were amazing.  The cinematography was crazy, I kept flinching every time the tennis ball attacked center screen.  Everyone should go see this

• Thanks 1

I watched it today and it was solid. My only complaint is that it was about 15 minutes too long. They could have cut some fat from the third act.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ThousandMiles said:

The film in general

Spoiler

is very homoerotic and the boys kiss and obviously have sexual tension

but I think it's a lot deeper than that psychologically. It's really a film about wanting something out of people that they can't give you emotionally/mentally whereas the physical is very easily given and shared. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Paultea said:

This season might turn out odd because some movies that would have been in the conversation last year had to move to spring, and then a lot of movies that were aiming for a fall release this year will most likely miss it again - all of this due to the strikes. Obviously it's not good for the business, but definitely works in favor for the ones being released now, especially when the rumored sentiment in Hollywood right now is "survive till '25." 

What's this?

This movie seems like something made for Gen Z to convince themselves that its deep and complex

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Saintlor said:

This movie seems like something made for Gen Z to convince themselves that its deep and complex

A Swiftie would know best

Saintlor

• Haha 8

5 minutes ago, James_Dean said:

A Swiftie would know best

Saintlor

Ok but I've never claimed Taylor is complex or deep

Is this a safe space?

So the movie was good but I felt like the editing and jumping back and forth in time was very confusing and not really needed overall also all the times they jumped had very similar locations and colors (besides Zendaya's wigs), the last act had several Nike ad vibes.

Also I love and really like Zendaya as a person, she's beautiful but she (like Holland and Timmy) have like a teen look that took me out of the movie several times, I don't buy her as a maneater and having those full on men drooling for her for life; and it was worse when she was older as a mom and the grumpy face that she does; she's way better as a model than as an actress; the same in Dune and Euphoria or Spider-Man…

Also Mike and Josh had more chemistry between them than with Z. Mike was amazing in West Side Story and I've been waiting for him to breakout like Timmy or Butler. Josh is cute and at least has been doing cool roles lately and nailing them.

I actually felt like I enjoyed more Bones & All than this one, this felt like messy and too aesthetically pleasing and too much sweaty than what it needed to be.

And the score is perfection, the remix album is just fire, I hope that QUEER delivers.

Edited by Dark Phoenix
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.