Is anger against singers performing in Israel misplaced?

cockatoo

I don't think it's the equivalent of supporting certain regime, but the comparisons with countries like United States seem out of place. It's not about 'this country is doing something wrong', it's the fact that Israel is in a forever ongoing war with Palestine, so it would be like artists scheduling concerts in Ukraine or Russia right now, it attracts controversy however you wanna see it

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• State of Grace.

• AMIT

• Solaria

• Jjang

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, BrokenMachine said:

I don't think it's the equivalent of supporting certain regime, but the comparisons with countries like United States seem out of place. It's not about 'this country is doing something wrong', it's the fact that Israel is in a forever ongoing war with Palestine, so it would be like artists scheduling concerts in Ukraine or Russia right now, it attracts controversy however you wanna see it

No, I do think the comparisons to the US is the same. Considering the US has done things just as bad, if not worse than Israel. The same energy people have against Israel, Russia and Iran should also be targeted towards the US and it’s citizens. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dlwlrma said:

I mean US don't need to do obviously propaganda, because these artists are already the personification of their values, same about Hollywood. :lakitu:

That's the whole purpose of mainstream industry.

That's not quite correct but I'm not gonna get into it in this thread. 

Anyway **** Israel.

2 minutes ago, Tropez said:

No, I do think the comparisons to the US is the same. Considering the US has done things just as bad, if not worse than Israel. The same energy people have against Israel, Russia and Iran should also be targeted towards the US and it’s citizens. 

It should be targeted, but it's the most powerful and influential contry in the world right now so people just go for 'easier' targets 

8 minutes ago, Tropez said:

US citizens are not responsible for their government actions and all in all have very little say in the decisions of the country.

Drag the US regime for all I care, though. Hell tag me so I can join. :coffee2:

Yes. The gays from there shouldnt suffer for their goverment wrongdoings. They deserve to have pop singers too.
Israel is also the land of jesus and where he was born. Palestine from Allah. Israel and Palestine from allah and jesus. 
Both place should be respected. The bad players here are the israeli goverment and hamas :gaycat4:

I have seen So many people attacking israel online and acting all saint and humanists but they  are apologetic about some authoritarian regimes. So. Thats fake activism. :giraffe:

i Wanna visit all middle east and ride a camel and visit those expensive cities while i listen shakira  :celestial4:

Edited by AvadaKedavra

43 minutes ago, Swirl900 said:

Yes. It's blatant antisemitism. This is evident because there is not a peep from people about if you perform in China (genocide against Muslim  Uyghurs occuring), India (persecution against Rohingyas), Middle Eastern countries for their persecution of gays Christians and other minority groups, France for them bombing many African countries, US for being the world police, etc etc.

Basically most of the world. But for some reason the focus is on the only Jewish state...

Meanwhile, everyone here regularly uses products produced in the countries I mentioned above and thus by this logic are actively funding genocide or persecution. Sometimes just so we can save 5 bucks on a product. If we aren't guilty of crimes - neither is a pop star who performs in Israel. Saying otherwise just reveals a distaste or hatred of Jews through  extreme hypocrisy.

This whole post is just nonsense.

First, you don't get to use Judaism as a shield against fair criticism of the Jewish state. That's called identity opportunism and you are arguing in bad faith, period. The focus is not on Israel and the other countries get their deserved lashings, please stop with this victimizing framing, it's tired.

Second, there's no ethical comsumption under capitalism. While I do agree that we as individuals can always do better in the ways we choose to support a certain product/corporation/brand, in the end that's basically a drop in the ocean - corporations and capitalists are the ones who are the most responsible because they hold much more power compared to consumers. 

Also I have to say this "please think of their ghei fans!!!11 :chick3:" rhetoric is so unserious and hypocritical

Do y'all think global popstars have no fans in Latin America, Africa, Asia etc and many other places they FREQUENTLY ignore for their tours for... reasons? They don't give a **** about their fans please, they are in it for the money. Yes - literally all of them. :skull:

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, AMIT said:

US citizens are not responsible for their government actions and all in all have very little say in the decisions of the country.

Drag the US regime for all I care, though. Hell tag me so I can join. :coffee2:

Americans liken themselves as people living in a democracy. If the US is in fact a democracy, then its citizens are to blame for the leaders they elect. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AMIT said:

This whole post is just nonsense.

First, you don't get to use Judaism as a shield against fair criticism of the Jewish state. That's called identity opportunism and you are arguing in bad faith, period. The focus is not on Israel and the other countries get their deserved lashings, please stop with this victimizing framing, it's tired.

Second, there's no ethical comsumption under capitalism. While I do agree that we as individuals can always do better in the ways we choose to support a certain product/corporation/brand, in the end that's basically a drop in the ocean - corporations and capitalists are the ones who are the most responsible because they hold much more power compared to consumers. 

No, this argument is in bad faith when you see that at the 46th UNGA for instance, 14 resolutions were made to criticize Israel on human rights while 5 were made for the entire rest of the world, excluding many nations such as China who are currently undergoing ethnic cleansing. The complete apathy toward human suffering is commonplace, but then sudden "caring" when it comes to the one country that happens to be Jewish is not a coincidence.

You see the same phenomena happen when that one time a mass shooter was a Trans person and conservatives suddenly cared about gun violence and used it to demonize trans people. You see the same underlying thing happen against black people, and you also see it with Israel. A lot of you have a lot of implicit bias that needs to be addressed.

It's not the criticism of Israel's policies that are the problem. But the way that only Israel/disproportionately Israel is attacked to extreme levels - which reveals antisemitism.

Finally - if there is no ethical consumption under capitalism, then an apolitical pop performance will hardly tip the scales.

4 minutes ago, Tropez said:

Americans liken themselves as people living in a democracy. If the US is in fact a democracy, then its citizens are to blame for the leaders they elect. 

Well, it is in fact... not one. it's just one big lie. :rainy:

There are many Israeli citizens who don't support the government. They shouldn't be deprived of seeing artists in concert.

10 minutes ago, AMIT said:

Well, it is in fact... not one. it's just one big lie. :rainy:

So that proves my point. The US is a dictatorship and artists should not go there. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Tropez said:

So that proves my point. The US is a dictatorship and artists should not go there. 

I don't disagree. But you are also ignoring the artwashing/pinkwashing arguments made in this thread by other posters, so until you address those, please keep it cute with that quote button. :bird:

No, literally the only good reason is bringing entertainment to the people, other than that it comes off as off. Like Israel is literally trying to  become an ethnostate like Japan. Committing war crimes, having an illegal war criminal in office, mass migration from the U.S and the support from Evangelicals in the Americas, this is literally common knowledge at this point. 

However the problem about it, is that they speak out on social media, and then when they get there, *crickets*. 

Edited by Phaunzie

Gal Gadot gets backlash for being Israeli 

On 6/15/2023 at 4:01 PM, Nano said:

There have literally been large weekly protests all across Israel against the government for months now.

stop lying, the protests had nothing to do with Palestinians

people with Palestinian flags were actually beaten up and kicked out :toofunny3:

Edited by Luckitty

30 minutes ago, DoubleRainbow! said:

and for supporting murdering Palestinians 

It’s complicated. On the one hand no one judges singers for performing in the US, UAE and other states known for doing horrific things but on the other hand I can see why holding a pop concert while the people down the road are literally being genocided is different.

2 hours ago, DoubleRainbow! said:

Natalie Portman is Israeli and she doesn't get backlash so no.

To answer the question, no. Their presence there is being actively used as propaganda. 

No, it's not. It gives more money and tourists to an ethnostate 

I don’t know. I know some Israeli people who support Palestinians and are against apartheid. Those people deserve to see their fave live. But then again most Israeli people support their apartheid government. 

On 6/15/2023 at 7:42 AM, byzantium said:

I think in the case of major multi-millionaires no.

However I would not blame a struggling musician who took a good offer to perform in Israel.  

Great take

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.