Is anger against singers performing in Israel misplaced?

cockatoo

In recent years both Lana Del Rey and Sam Smith have faced backlash for scheduling performances in Israel and subsequently pulled out. Christina Aguilera has now also announced she'll be performing there.

Before I say anything I want to clarify that I do not support the actions of the Israeli government towards Palestinians.

With that said, is a singer performing in a country the equivalent of them supporting said regime and the actions of that country's government?

If so then why do singers not face backlash for performing in the US, a country which funds the Israeli regime and has committed atrocities all over the world, especially in the Middle East? The UK wants to deport asylum seekers to Rwanda, Australia keeps illegal migrants in concentration camp style detention centres, Denmark sent all Syrian refugees back into a war zone, the list goes on. Yet no one bats an eye at an artist announcing to perform in any of these countries.

Is this outrage selective?

Edited by cockatoo

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• State of Grace.

• AMIT

• Solaria

• Jjang

Top Posters In This Topic

No and I say that as someone with a fave who did it 

Maybe people don't want their favs to go to a state that literally has APARTHEID and murders Palestinians on a scale that is humanly diabolical. The USA and the UK have blood on their hands but Israel has a whole ass bed sheet with blood on it.

Edited by Gwendolyn

I think so. Artists need money and deserve to make money. 

Outrage at Israel is justifiable though. 

I think in the case of major multi-millionaires no.

However I would not blame a struggling musician who took a good offer to perform in Israel.  

Yes. Not every israelian person believe in the government so you just perform for people and art it's the most powerful way way to send messages and let people aware. 

All the iphones you're using are made in China, where dissidents are killed and tortured but you don't care. You are performative and only cares to show how you care about things when it's free and easy if doesn't have any impact in your actual life. Boycotting China would completely change the way we live.

If iphones would have been made in Israel  you would still use it. If twitter would change his headquater in Israel you will still use it. At that point the performative interest would be translate to something  else is easy, free and doesn't affect your actual life. 

• Like 11
  • Thumbs Down 1

No

7 minutes ago, ugo said:

well how about the Israeli fans ? 

how about the Palestinian children?

3 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

Yes. Not every israelian person believe in the government so you just perform for people and art it's the most powerful way way to send messages and let people aware. 

what are they doing about it? silence is complicity

Yes. You cannot blame the people of Israel for the actions of their government. 

By this logic, people like Taylor or Be shouldn’t be touring certain states in the US where the government are calling the LGBTQ community “groomers” and passing legislation to prevent certain minorities from receiving healthcare. 

• Like 1

Nope. Anyone performing there deserves lashings. 

Even if deep down "they want peace for Palestinians" they're still taking part of Israel's pinkwashing/artwashing.

Edited by State of Grace.
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

People being the most mad about Israel when China’s actively committing a genocide and Israel being the only Jewish state in the world must be just a coincidence…

• Thumbs Down 1

1 minute ago, style17 said:

People being the most mad about Israel when China’s actively committing a genocide and Israel being the only Jewish state in the world must be just a coincidence…

We can do both! Also calling Israel a genicode particapter does not mean anti-semitism - where is anti-semitism in anyone's posts here?   

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GentleDance said:

what are they doing about it? silence is complicity

There have literally been large weekly protests all across Israel against the government for months now.

I do think the outrage is very selective, especially when countries like the US have had far more blood on their hands over the last couple decades with its two wars.

Yes, Israel’s an apartheid state but I don’t think anyone in power cares that Lana del Rey won’t be performing there.

I'll ask this- what result do people against international performances in Israel expect? Also, why should Israelis specifically be banned from having artists perform in their country?

4 minutes ago, style17 said:

So you agree. Israel is forming its own ethnostate.

1 minute ago, Gwendolyn said:

We can do both! Also calling Israel a genicode particapter does not mean anti-semitism - where is anti-semitism in anyone's posts here?   

Israel is much more called out than China regarding concert performances. why are you mentioning anti-semitism? it seems like deep down you know what’s where your feelings come from.

just to clarify… i do not support the Israeli government or its actions, I just think its interesting how outraged you guys are over this one country when so many governments do completely heinous things… 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.