Kaytranada talks about CUFF IT remix to Billboard

Hector

No matter his accolades, some professional moments still send Kaytranada spiraling into self-doubt — he’s a Virgo after all, and identifies with the sign’s perfectionist tendencies. But he has increasingly come to understand his value. When I ask him if the remix of “CUFF IT” he premiered at Coachella will ever be released, he shrugs. Parkwood Entertainment, he explains, approached his team about the remix and sent him the vocal stems, but he disagreed with the terms of the proposed contract. (Negotiations are still pending; Parkwood did not respond to requests for comment.) He looks visibly disappointed. He worked hard on the remix and knows it would mean a lot to release it, both to the culture — when Beyoncé’s 2022 album, Renaissance, deeply indebted to house and disco trailblazers, won the Grammy for best dance/electronic album, she thanked “the queer community for your love and for inventing the genre” in her acceptance speech — and to his own career. But he also seems resolute.

“I know my worth. I know they reached out to me to do the remix for a reason, and then to be treated back like I wasn’t all that, it’s kind of weird,” he says. “I’m going to keep it at that. I know my worth.”

https://www.billboard.com/music/features/kaytranada-dj-producer-coachella-grammys-cover-story-interview-1235349237/

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JayG

• VerdantHue

• Dreajae

• professor2000

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is he hiding in a blanket? Hes like this 🤳🏻 taking the pic :bibliahh:

Good for him :clap3:

Know your worth, babi

he’s dumb. on one hand he’s knows his worth and yadda yadda but this is a opportunity to have ur name alongside BEYONCÉ on a project that can lead to bigger and better opportunities. just look at amorphous for example…

i would do it for free at that point. 

• Thumbs Down 1

Well it's sure to never be released now that he's told the press that B's team is cheap.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, JayG said:

They have all that money and couldn't offer him more...

Ehh, I mean if they didn't think it would pay for itself, it probably wasn't worth it for them, either. 

36 minutes ago, Ricanaire said:

he’s dumb. on one hand he’s know ur worth and yadda yadda but this is a opportunity to have ur name alongside BEYONCÉ on a project that can lead to bigger and better opportunities. just look at amorphous for example…

How is he dumb when you don't even know what the contract entailed. KAYTRANADA is big on his own, he doesn't need to have any affiliation to Beyoncé to lead to "bigger and better" opps when Parkwood is the one who reached out. KAYTRANADA is already doing what Amorphous is building up to so...

Ofc you would do it for free but for someone like KAYTRANADA, it's his career and that's how he generates income.

giphy.gif

Edited by VerdantHue
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, Lose My Breath said:

Ehh, I mean if they didn't think it would pay for itself, it probably wasn't worth it for them, either. 

Thats not the point... you reuqest a mix, you send the vocals stems, he does the work, and then it falls through cause of money? They have so much of it, just compensate him for what you commissioned whether you use it or not. Its trash. They have PLENTY of money to throw him a quick check. He's not a nobody, hes an established queer artist. Of course they knew it wasn't gonna pay for itself, streaming doesn't pay even the BEST artists in the world, they knew this before they asked for a remix to be commissioned lol. Like...?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

37 minutes ago, Ricanaire said:

he’s dumb. on one hand he’s know ur worth and yadda yadda but this is a opportunity to have ur name alongside BEYONCÉ on a project that can lead to bigger and better opportunities. just look at amorphous for example…

Nah. Thats not how this works. PAY CREATIVES. He isnt a nobody, hes an ESTABLISHED GRAMMY NOMINATED artist. This isn't some random soundcloud person trying to make it. You do enough free work to even make a name for yourself in this world. They don't pay him for a remix HER LABEL comissioned? That aint it. He just went ON TOUR with The Weeknd. He doesn't need Bey's name for more opportunities.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

19 minutes ago, VerdantHue said:

How is he dumb when you don't even know what the contract entailed. KAYTRANADA is big on his own, he doesn't need to have any affiliation to Beyoncé to lead to "bigger and better" opps when Parkwood is the one who reached out. KAYTRANADA is already doing what Amorphous is building up to so...

Ofc you would do it for free but for someone like KAYTRANADA, it's his career and that's how he generates income.

giphy.gif

Thank you. This is his JOB. Just cause its your passion, you don't get paid? How about we stop buying tour tickets and demanding Bey to perform for free then lmao. We PAY for HER TALENT. Her label should pay for the work they comissioned.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Lose My Breath said:

Renaissance streams probably didnt even pay for the cost it took to create the album - thats the reality of streaming. Her physicals and the tour probably covered the cost to make the album. Aint NOTHING paying for itself anymore lol.

3 minutes ago, JayG said:

Renaissance streams probably didnt even pay for the cost it took to create the album - thats the reality of streaming. Her physicals and the tour probably covered the cost to make the album. Aint NOTHING paying for itself anymore lol.

Who gets all the money in the streaming industry? There seems to be a major case on inequity that surely can’t be sustainable? 

Isn’t that how things usually go? Artists’ teams reach out to someone they want to work with, they accept or decline, there’s some back and forth, the collab happens, and ultimately, the collab could still get cut if the artist or label decides not to move forward with it?

36 minutes ago, BOOMBAYAH said:

Who gets all the money in the streaming industry? There seems to be a major case on inequity that surely can’t be sustainable? 

Labels... google it. Labels and streaming services cut deals and the artists barely make anything.

Is that the actual remix in the Op? I would pay nothing for that, it’s horrible! 

5 minutes ago, Kh-Loud said:

Is that the actual remix in the Op? I would pay nothing for that, it’s horrible! 

Yeah, the one we got is exquisite. 

Just now, Pepo said:

Yeah, the one we got is exquisite. 

Wetter >>> Original >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>whatever this is! 

I think Beyoncé woulda paid for it if she felt like the quality reflected the amount being demanded! 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

1 hour ago, Ricanaire said:

LOL what?! Amorphous is some random stan DJing in the bleachers. Kaytranada has been on the scene for a decade now, there’s no comparison.

Beyonce claims to be shining a light on queer black dance music. Then how about she doesn’t low ball the leading figure from that scene

Y’all acting like they should pay for a **** ass remix.  I’d say no, too lol 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Just now, Maestro said:

LOL what?! Amorphous is some random stan DJing in the bleachers. Kaytranada has been on the scene for a decade now, there’s no comparison.

Beyonce claims to be shining a light on queer black dance music. Then how about she doesn’t low ball the leading figure from that scene

Amorphous is now on her team as a like a musical director 

3 minutes ago, Lose My Breath said:

Amorphous is now on her team as a like a musical director 

It’s just not the same as Kaytranada who is a genre defining artist 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lose My Breath said:

Y’all acting like they should pay for a **** ass remix.  I’d say no, too lol 

You're the exact reason why talent will never prosper because labels and streaming services and even our own jobs/companies we all work have the SAME mindset. You get asked to do work, you do the work they ASKED for, and then don't pay you? Gurl...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.