Kaytranada talks about CUFF IT remix to Billboard

Hector

Just now, Maestro said:

It’s just not the same as Kaytranada who is a genre defining artist 

Thank you. He has a lane. He CREATED his OWN lane and thats why he is who he is. He isn't a nobody. Theres no excuses. Like 1% of ticket sales from ONE tour date would probably pay for the remix lmao. The gymnastics to not PAY creatives is sick.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JayG

• VerdantHue

• Dreajae

• professor2000

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, VerdantHue said:

How is he dumb when you don't even know what the contract entailed. KAYTRANADA is big on his own, he doesn't need to have any affiliation to Beyoncé to lead to "bigger and better" opps when Parkwood is the one who reached out. KAYTRANADA is already doing what Amorphous is building up to so...

Ofc you would do it for free but for someone like KAYTRANADA, it's his career and that's how he generates income.

giphy.gif

Lol yall are pushing it. If Kaytranda doesnt need to be affilaited with Beyonce, then don't remix her mess. He needs permission to offically release it and was going to have to pay. Cuff It has actual legends like Rapahel Saadiq, Nile Rodgers and Shelia E. on the ballot. Kaytranda isn't getting priority over acts whove worked for 40 years in this. They know their worth too.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Down 2

14 minutes ago, JayG said:

You're the exact reason why talent will never prosper because labels and streaming services and even our own jobs/companies we all work have the SAME mindset. You get asked to do work, you do the work they ASKED for, and then don't pay you? Gurl...

Kaytranda is remixing a song with composers who have worked over 30 years in the industry. It's not even soley about Beyonce. He didn't want to play the game and supposedly can't get over it based on his statement. Parkwood certainly doesn't care and moved on. Im sure Nile, Ralph, Shelia and Dream are fine as well. 

23 minutes ago, Lose My Breath said:

Amorphous is now on her team as a like a musical director 

And he's black and gay too. So what excuse will they run to for Parkwood not feeling more generous with a remix that already went top 10 worldwide?

Always complaining. Now they're about to paint a DJ with barely a decade in as some legend. Please. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

4 hours ago, Dreajae said:

Kaytranda is remixing a song with composers who have worked over 30 years in the industry. It's not even soley about Beyonce. He didn't want to play the game and supposedly can't get over it based on his statement. Parkwood certainly doesn't care and moved on. Im sure Nile, Ralph, Shelia and Dream are fine as well. 

Lol yall are pushing it. If Kaytranda doesnt need to be affilaited with Beyonce, then don't remix her mess. He needs permission to offically release it and was going to have to pay. Cuff It has actual legends like Rapahel Saadiq, Nile Rodgers and Shelia E. on the ballot. Kaytranda isn't getting priority over acts whove worked for 40 years in this. They know their worth too.

smh

Edited by VerdantHue
  • Thumbs Down 2

1 hour ago, JayG said:

Thank you. This is his JOB. Just cause its your passion, you don't get paid? How about we stop buying tour tickets and demanding Bey to perform for free then lmao. We PAY for HER TALENT. Her label should pay for the work they comissioned.

Who said he wasn't getting paid? It seems like the terms wern't to his liking. Whatever they were. Keep in mind Bey had paid 6 figures to LGBTQIA+ contributors like TS Madison. Kevin Aviance and Grace Jones surely arent complaining either. He can't expect to have a huge chunk for a remix of a song of a song that's already a hit.

I guarentee you the terms were more than favorable and there's a reason why he seems upset that the remix wasn't approved.  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

17 hours ago, Dreajae said:

Who said he wasn't getting paid? It seems like the terms wern't to his liking. Whatever they were. Keep in mind Bey had paid 6 figures to LGBTQIA+ contributors like TS Madison. Kevin Aviance and Grace Jones surely arent complaining either. He can't expect to have a huge chunk for a remix of a song of a song that's already a hit.

I guarentee you the terms were more than favorable and there's a reason why he seems upset that the remix wasn't approved.  

Edited by VerdantHue
  • Thumbs Down 4

3 minutes ago, VerdantHue said:

lol I’m not pushing anything. I am simply stating facts. He remixed Cuff It, it really resonated with the crowd, Parkwood reached out and they couldn’t come to an agreement.

Again, no one knows what the contract entailed and that also includes you.

You're right. But yall are already heavily impluong that the terms for the remix wouldnt be favorable. Bey has proven time and time again that shes more than fair snd people get unreasonable. 

The song was an international top 10 hit and has 30+ year vetted legends already on it. The Coachella crowd are the ones streaming the orignal. He couldn't have added anything more. It would have been a cute remix but not good enough to break the bank for. And clealry he's bothered by it.

1 minute ago, VerdantHue said:

You can’t guarantee something you know nothing about. It’s funny because people tend to make things up when they don’t know what they’re talking about…

And yet when the facts are put on the table yall scramble. See the person who insisted they wern't paid for the album cover and other frivolous mess small time artists have tried cause they're in their feelings. 

• Like 1

He made her sound like a chipmunk

spacer.png

Spoiler

My local radio garbage radio edit is much better than this remix :thing:

Edited by ddddynamite
  • Haha 2

You're right. But yall are already heavily impluong that the terms for the remix wouldnt be favorable. Bey has proven time and time again that shes more than fair snd people get unreasonable. 

The song was an international top 10 hit and has 30+ year vetted legends already on it. The Coachella crowd are the ones streaming the orignal. He couldn't have added anything more. It would have been a cute remix but not good enough to break the bank for. And clealry he's bothered by it.

Delete. I’m better than this.

Edited by VerdantHue
  • Thumbs Down 2

17 hours ago, Dreajae said:

And yet when the facts are put on the table yall scramble. See the person who insisted they wern't paid for the album cover and other frivolous mess small time artists have tried cause they're in their feelings. 

Edited by VerdantHue
  • Thumbs Down 3

3 minutes ago, VerdantHue said:

Okay but it’s 50/50. I will always root for the underdogs until proven otherwise.

is he an underdog or a genre defining grammy winning legend?

to me it sounds like he didn’t like the plans for release and promo (would have probably been treated like the DJ remixes Break My Soul got). 

he’s not a struggling small artist. quit with that narrative lmao. “PAY CREATIVES” gurl CUFF IT was created already and the creators are getting paid.

• Thumbs Down 1

49 minutes ago, JayG said:

You're the exact reason why talent will never prosper because labels and streaming services and even our own jobs/companies we all work have the SAME mindset. You get asked to do work, you do the work they ASKED for, and then don't pay you? Gurl...

I'm confused. Where exactly did he say that he wasn't paid for his work? There seems to be a boatload of assumptions being made in this thread when all that has been said is that he didn't agree with some terms of the contract Parkwood gave. :skull:

4 hours ago, kimberly said:

is he an underdog or a genre defining grammy winning legend?

to me it sounds like he didn’t like the plans for release and promo (would have probably been treated like the DJ remixes Break My Soul got). 

he’s not a struggling small artist. quit with that narrative lmao. “PAY CREATIVES” gurl CUFF IT was created already and the creators are getting paid.

Edited by VerdantHue
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

55 minutes ago, VerdantHue said:

Okay I think I am done with this thread - not worth my time.

not you pulling a KAYTRANADA :dies: you can't refuse to compromise/negotiate and leave, and then cry to Billboard about not winning. you see my point?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

2 hours ago, kimberly said:

not you pulling a KAYTRANADA :dies: you can't refuse to compromise/negotiate and leave, and then cry to Billboard about not winning. you see my point?

Edited by VerdantHue
  • Thumbs Down 1

5 hours ago, JayG said:

Nah. Thats not how this works. PAY CREATIVES. He isnt a nobody, hes an ESTABLISHED MULTIPLE GRAMMY WINNING artist. This isn't some random soundcloud person trying to make it. You do enough free work to even make a name for yourself in this world. They don't pay him for a remix HER LABEL comissioned? That aint it. He just went ON TOUR with The Weeknd. He doesn't need Bey's name for more opportunities.

Fix

2 hours ago, kimberly said:

Delete

Edited by VerdantHue
  • Thumbs Down 1

5 hours ago, JayG said:

Thank you. He has a lane. He CREATED his OWN lane and thats why he is who he is. He isn't a nobody. Theres no excuses. Like 1% of ticket sales from ONE tour date would probably pay for the remix lmao. The gymnastics to not PAY creatives is sick.

That sounds like the scam of the century for an irrelevant, lazy remix like that. :redface:

The ppl that get it, get it.  

This remix would’ve given the song even more life.  It’s for a whole nother audience, can’t even be compared to the Wetter remix.  

And honestly, I’m lowkey pissed she didn’t work with him on Renaissance in the first place.  :celestial5:

And this leaves a sour taste in my mouth…again.  But I still love them both. Just such a HUGE missed opportunity.  

I just wonder if his terms were reasonable.

For Break My Soul she had will.i.am, Madonna and Honey Dijon etc. And they agreed to the terms of their particular remixes and they also know their worth etc.

Yes the remix could have extended the longtivity of the song but unless the contract/terms leak, it all seems a silly guessing game 

9 hours ago, JayG said:

Thats not the point... you reuqest a mix, you send the vocals stems, he does the work, and then it falls through cause of money? They have so much of it, just compensate him for what you commissioned whether you use it or not. Its trash. They have PLENTY of money to throw him a quick check. He's not a nobody, hes an established queer artist. Of course they knew it wasn't gonna pay for itself, streaming doesn't pay even the BEST artists in the world, they knew this before they asked for a remix to be commissioned lol. Like...?

Why are you getting your knickers twisted over a one-sided account of a business contract gone awry? No successful business operates on “throw him a quick check”. Beygood is Beyoncé’s charity not Parkwood. They made an offer, he rejected it and it ended there. No harm no foul. 

7 hours ago, Dreajae said:

Yea trying to work with smaller creatives can be a double-edged sword cus they’ll be quick to get in their feelings n their resort is to spill on sm n of course the world runs with it cus its fun to vilify big names. By the time the truth gets out, the lies have made it around the world and back again. 

Im not even pressed about this person. He has every right to reject the deal if he felt it wasn’t favourable to him. The flip side is that Parkwood reserves the same right. This is neither party’s first rodeo. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.