Why were Imagine Dragons the only Alt. act to turn a hit into a career

Katamari

8 minutes ago, Wrecked said:

The way some of you just post for the sake of posting. You’ve clearly never listened to their discography when songs like this exist…

OT: They consistently release great music and are fantastic live. Most of the people this site stan can’t relate so I can see where the bitterness is coming from. :gaycat5:

are any of those songs what make them successful? no, all their hits are generic AC pop music

• Thanks 1

Just now, favorite crime said:

are any of those songs what make them successful? no, all their hits are generic AC pop music

Don’t a lot of artists release their most commercial / radio-friendly sounding songs as singles? It doesn’t mean that reflects how their entire albums sound, which is my point.

Some people think that every album of theirs is full of Believer and Thunder type songs and they’re not. They actually have a diverse discography and have tackled a variety of sounds. Their latest album was their most experimental yet. It seems a tad stupid to insinuate that they’re only popular because of their singles when they tour all over the world selling out arenas and stadiums. 

I also think people throw the word generic around too much, especially when they try to use it as an insult. Have you seen who this website stans? Going off your name, what makes Olivia Rodrigo less generic? :bird:

1 hour ago, Ewan Chaos said:

I attribute that much less to Imagine Dragons being alternative, but rather alternative radio opening up to more pop music at the same time that alternative songs were becoming pop radio hits in 2011-2012 with Fun & Gotye (Maroon 5 of course skipping out on this as being around before this switch and their post-Moves Like Jagger output being STAUNCHLY pop), but I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree :laugh:

You are right

Maroon 5 during their first 2 albums would’ve been considered Alternative in the 2010s-present 

Because "Next To Me" and "Whatever It Takes" are two of the best songs that came out of 2017

Talent only and a hot ally lead :clap3: 

i didnt think this thread would so controversial :lmao: 

14 minutes ago, Katamari said:

i didnt think this thread would so controversial :lmao: 

It’s because the lead singer has a *****. :bird:

Just now, Wrecked said:

It’s because the lead singer has a *****. :bird:

true :dies: 

13 minutes ago, Katamari said:

true :dies: 

ATRL will stan some of the most flavourless and uninspired music that sounds like an auto tuned queef, just because the singer is an attractive female and then turn around and act like the music police. You only have to look at the threads here that get pages and pages. It’s very telling. 

spacer.png

1 minute ago, Wrecked said:

ATRL will stan some of the most flavourless and uninspired music that sounds like an auto tuned queef, just because the singer is an attractive female and then turn around and act like the music police. You only have to look at the threads here that get pages and pages. It’s very telling. 

spacer.png

drag those genre purists king

spacer.png

Video games kids love them.

most fans seem focus on their lyrics which just cis-str8 as they are but ID never sing about drug/girls/boozes/flexin which ironically fit narrative to wide range of audience. their music also got electronic spice on perfect moderate radio pandering to not sound one trick pony and rarely i see anyone compare ID to other bands saying 'they copy this band they sound like inspire from this that bands'.

2 hours ago, St. Francis said:

They're a pop rock group

It’s not really as straight forward as that if you actually listen to their albums. They’ve always said that they’re a genre-less band and I agree tbh. You couldn’t really group their discography as a whole into one genre as they’ve done a variety of different styles. I think that’s why they get called Alternative as it’s probably the closest thing to describing what they are. In a lot of ways, Imagine Dragons are their own genre.

I was listening to them recently and my dad (who isn’t familiar with them) even asked me how you’d categorise their music because one minute Dan is singing and then he’s rapping and then he’s screaming.  

Edited by Wrecked

21 hours ago, The Next Day said:

Alternative enough for the alt pop crowd

Pop enough for the pop croud

Inoffensive enough for adults

Meme-worhy enough for the kids

Gay enough for the gays

Straight enough for the heteros

Light-hearted enough for the casual fans

Relatable enough for the fanbase

I think they've build quite a unique brand for themselves. Most of their songs deal with the more heavy topics of life while still sounding upbeat and catchy. That's not unique in itself of course. But compare their message to other artists: Someone like The Weeknd deals with the same topics in a more hedonistic way. Other artists stay more vague and don't describe the actual feelings. ID found a way to write relatable, affirming and explicit enough lyrics that anyone from child- to adulthood can understand. And they wrap up this unique perspective in saccharine pop music with rock influences.

Well written. They have fans in every demo group and also tons of casual listeners, as their hits are friendly but also distinct enough from other acts. I don't particularly follow ID, but I still enjoy several of their hits.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.