Apple introduces Vision Pro headset, first major new product in a decade

VOSS

Apple unveiled the Vision Pro headset, the company’s first major new product in a decade, a device capable of allowing users to experience virtual reality and digital apps, movies, personal photos or any content available on a computer monitor overlaid on the real world. Chief Executive Tim Cook said in a video at the company’s Worldwide Developers Conference that the Vision Pro is “a revolutionary new product” capable of shifting “the way we look at technology and the role it plays in our lives.”

Apple said the device, which will sell for $3,499 and won’t be available until early next year, would be a new way to interact with digital content in the physical space using the user’s hands, eyes and voice to interact with apps. Users can control the device with their hands and experience movies, TV shows and games in a more immersive way. Cook called it a new “spatial computing” platform.

Apple announced a partnership with Walt Disney, which showed in a pretaped video what viewing experiences could potentially look like, including an immersive Star Wars TV show and a function allowing users to watch multiple sporting events simultaneously. A digital version of the Disneyland theme park could project into the user’s physical world.

Apple showed the headset being used in work environments, including an ability to project a screen akin to a modern desktop in a way that could replace a computer monitor. Users can also use Bluetooth devices such as keyboards to type.

Some features on the device are meant to avoid isolating a user, Apple executives said. Vision Pro displays the user’s eyes on the outside of the device with a screen sitting on the front of the device. And if somebody comes nearby to someone with the headset on, it will show the person.

Although Apple showcased many potential features and uses of the Vision Pro headset, the company’s announcement at its software conference points to its interest in how third-party software makers can add new functions.

Hundreds of thousands of apps that already exist on iPad and iPhone operating systems will also be available through Vision OS, the Vision Pro’s operating system. Apple told developers that it is introducing tools to let them redesign existing apps on other Apple platforms for the Vision Pro, or create new types of three-dimensional apps.

Source

Edited by VOSS

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bloo

• Archetype

• Gorjesspazze9

• Starshine

• ATRL Moderator

This is likely the device that will determine the future of AR. If it’s a success, AR is here to stay. If it flops, AR will be seen as a niche and more companies will get out the market entirely. 

:ahh:

Not them copying Microsoft HoloLens too :redface: It's getting weird

$3500 :bibliahh: And you know some Apple stans will withdraw from their 401ks to buy it.

Were the Renaissance visuals announced along with it? If not then I don’t care 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

19 minutes ago, Walk_Away21 said:

$3500 :bibliahh: And you know some Apple stans will withdraw from their 401ks to buy it.

Oh that’s right, I forgot I have a 401k I can withdraw from. LET me do that

:foxaylove2:

The price :deadbanana2:

Remember when the Apple Mac was several times more expensive then it’s competition, and the First iPhone too. Even the iPod classic was criticized for being more expensive them alternative MP3 players in 2000. :coffee2:
Maybe Apple finally is back to revolutionizing the Game. I think AR in general is about to be all over the marketplace just like in China

nobody wants this **** omg :deadbanana2:

All headsets are going to flop. We’re now used to looking at our phones for 6 hours a day. Wearing a headset just isnt comfortable enough compared to a cell phone. 

• Like 1

It's cool, but it's SO big and it's gonna look stupid as f+ck in a few years. Apple was known for being simplistic and minimalistic. What's up with that? 

Looks revolutionary 

But I can imagine in like 10 years, everyone just walking around in public with headsets, looking like zombies

An ad straight out of freaking Black Mirror. Apple is becoming something so unrelatable and so foreing to the average human experience and I meant that in the worst way possible. 

• Like 2

I’m definitely here for it

But it could go either way.

Most people can’t afford it, so that might be the defining factor

12 minutes ago, commander said:

An ad straight out of freaking Black Mirror. Apple is becoming something so unrelatable and so foreing to the average human experience and I meant that in the worst way possible. 

Apple has always been an un relatable brand

Only in America is dominant for example in the phone market

WW is seen as inaccessible.

• Like 1

this is so dumb. Why would I want a device to see my texts in AR :deadbanana2:

Steve Jobs is turning in his grave

i don’t know why people are bitching about the price. apple is a luxury brand. just like hermes, lv or prada etc etc. people aren’t complaining how much the bags are, despite all looking exactly the same. :rip:

I think the movie watching experience sounds interesting. Why does my dirty mind think of some bad choices with that feature....

29 minutes ago, Trent W said:

I’m definitely here for it

But it could go either way.

Most people can’t afford it, so that might be the defining factor

Apple knows some consumer will pay money to be the first and will milk that -- but in order for this to be a success it will need a significant user base and as such apple will either 1) drop the price or 2) create a more accessible model. 

Merci :celestial:

• Thanks 1

These tech companies really want to kill face to face socializing don't they. We'll all just be in our own worlds cut off from each other.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Black_Mirror_-_Nosedive.png

OKAY!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.