Kim Petras - 'Feed the Beast'

kyliefever2002

More about her sessions with David Guetta and a new song based on Sans Contrefaçon by Mylène Farmer. It’s the first song she’s done about transness:

Thanks in part to the success of “Unholy,” Petras can now work with just about any songwriter she likes, which explains how she found herself, one day in April, in a Hollywood music studio, participating in the kind of all-star writing session that she once dreamed of. The biggest name was David Guetta, the French producer and d.j., who helped teach Americans to love the kind of euphoric dance music that has long been popular in Europe... Petras was excited, or maybe just nervous. “I’m pacing,” she said, to the room. “I’ve always been a pacing kinda *****.”

Guetta had an idea: he thought Petras might want to write something based on “Sans Contrefaçon,” a 1987 hit by Mylène Farmer, a French pop star. He cued it up. “It’s like ABBA,” Petras said, approvingly.

Guetta went online to find a translation of the lyrics. The title might be rendered, rather awkwardly, as “Without Counterfeit”—or, with some poetic license, as “Honestly.” The song revolves around a confession: roughly, “Since we have to choose, I’ll say it softly / I’m a boy, honestly.” The lyrics are evocative and enigmatic, with a stray reference to the Chevalier d’Éon, an eighteenth-century diplomat and spy who went undercover as a woman and lived that way for more than thirty years. “ ‘Alone in my closet,’ ” Guetta said, reading the translation. “That line is so crazy!” 

Petras was curious, but not quite ready to dive in. “Why don’t we warm up with one of the funner ones?” she said, referring to some of the more upbeat song ideas. Soon she and Hudson were improvising lyrics about lust and destiny. “I love the concept of ‘I’m your fate,’ ” Petras said. “ ‘Is this meant to be, or we’re just meant to ****?’ ” She had an idea. “Can I go just freestyle some ****?” she said, and slipped into the recording booth to try out phrases, the way a guitarist might try out riffs. “Automobiles and diamond rings,” she sang. “Let me beee,” she added, pushing the last word up the scale. “ ’Cause I don’t really care!”

This last phrase was the one that resonated, and soon the pop scientists were trying to create something around it. 

When Petras pulled into another music studio, the next day, she was wearing the same black Balenciaga basketball shorts she had been wearing the day before. “I slept in this,” she said. “I’m disgusting.” She lives in Beachwood Canyon with her three dogs, and she had spent the night thinking about “Sans Contrefaçon.” She and the other writers had eventually managed to transform it into a new song—not quite a cover, or a remix, but something that retained both the beat and the concept. “I was up till 3 a.m., listening to a shitty voice memo and trying to come up with verse two,” she said. “It’s about this girl who says, ‘If I had a choice, I would be a boy’—so we kinda flipped that whole ****,” she told me. “I’ve never made a trans-related-subject song.”

full article is really good: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2023/06/05/kim-petras-wants-to-be-a-superstar?fbclid=PAAaaeyrk1FcIUrY07fuk7oyUhCIFkdJ40_qM6ej9a-dyNSZn_gRp-wrTsdPY_aem_th_ATwfHThphDzF2qbjafCOGV5KKcRWzmxFxlMlKb-QdfKq_wSq7QBsvwVX0-Bxrh9dB3I

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lady Claire

• #Beautiful

• OmegaRidley

• GardenPanty

no more heart left to break

i fed it to the beast

:jonny5:

Oh wow, a Sans Contrefaçon inspired song sounds major

7 hours ago, Alfred said:

More about her sessions with David Guetta and a new song based on Sans Contrefaçon by Mylène Farmer. It’s the first song she’s done about transness:

full article is really good: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2023/06/05/kim-petras-wants-to-be-a-superstar?fbclid=PAAaaeyrk1FcIUrY07fuk7oyUhCIFkdJ40_qM6ej9a-dyNSZn_gRp-wrTsdPY_aem_th_ATwfHThphDzF2qbjafCOGV5KKcRWzmxFxlMlKb-QdfKq_wSq7QBsvwVX0-Bxrh9dB3I

This whole article makes no sense like most of the interviews she’s been releasing lately

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Alfred said:

This is nice. I feel like she wanted to dive deep into her personal stuff and get even more references to where she’s from, who she is etc based on her earlier talks from the album, until Republic turned into a compilation 

I hope she gets the chance to dive even further on her next album and do what she wants, not just songs about partying and sex.

• Like 1

if they don't drop a promo single in 2 weeks................ :ghostface:

2 hours ago, Innocencelost said:

This whole article makes no sense like most of the interviews she’s been releasing lately

Wym? Makes sense to me…

BAIT is my current fav from the songs we've heard:jonny5:

I would’ve preferred the absolute disco funk ***** SMASH that would’ve been Candy. But FTB was my favourite demo of the leaks and it was cool to see that underrated songs fans win for once!! The new version is stellar. Super excited for this album. Uh Oh is literally her best song. 

someone leak the rest of candy tho x

Claws continues to be that girl :jonny5:

Uh Oh is now "uhoh" :rip: and they added a "(Bonus Track)" tag on Unholy.

Hopefully we’ll have snippets of the songs on AM soon :WAP:

3 hours ago, Lady Claire said:

:deadbanana4: 

4 hours ago, Lady Claire said:

:rip:

Uh Oh is now "uhoh" :rip:

Lower case titles are the worst thing that happened to music :skull: Ariana girl f you

• Like 1

the bonus track makes sense since does it not fit the album at all

12 minutes ago, Freaky Prince said:

Lower case titles are the worst thing that happened to music :skull: Ariana girl f you

thank god for apple music customization otherwise i would've lost my mind

5 minutes ago, campelo said:

the bonus track makes sense since does it not fit the album at all

i mean to be fair the album has coconuts and brr at a one track distance in the tracklist and we know how other songs sound too so... im not sure about a sound :deadbanana4:

Coconuts is 10/10 bop, I dont see why everyone’s mad about it. It’s not very different from Alone, HIFTB or Sex Talk.

I will definitely hide Unholy from the album tho.

There Will Be Blood just came randomly while I was shuffling some music... and OMG, the feels. :WAP:

I guess we weren't appreciative enough of the masterpieces we were getting with such ease from her, they were just on a complete another level.

Starboys23

I need kimmy to get a #1 smash 

This thread is so dead and the album is out in 23 days 

Kimmy do something quick :WAP: