Eurovision Song Contest 2024 | Switzerland wins!

Queen Conchita

3 minutes ago, fa77ot said:

Highest charting song by a Croatian artist in history. Too bad Spotify is a flop in Balkans, otherwise this would've been even bigger number!

ZARI.thumb.gif.f9e2b5ce45127ac721d50d9c9

• Replies 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pendulum

• Funhouse

• Fevesy

• illia

Hurricane isn't charting on Global Spotify despite the massive televote :bibliahh:

• Haha 10

1 minute ago, Bloodflowers. said:

Highest charting song by a Croatian artist in history. Too bad Spotify is a flop in Balkans, otherwise this would've been even bigger number!

The Ella Jelić erasure

We yassed and we prayed to Diva Maria

• Like 1

Tattoo's streaming record will never be broken, we won

spacer.png

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, abelfenty said:

Hurricane isn't charting on Global Spotify despite the massive televote :bibliahh:

Pro-Israel trying to treat their huge televote as a 'message of mass support of Europe' only to flop in every other metric :bibliahh:

Hope they do voting reform next year :rip: Two current world charged events causing mass voting within 2 years is embrassing. 

13 minutes ago, JennyWayne said:

Came in here to say that the jury did not underrate Croatia at all.

I wouldn't say Croatia was underrated per se, though the rankings by Belgium, Spain, and Portugal, placing it 18th, 19th, and 20th respectively, don't sit right with me.

The main issue was Switzerland receiving so many points that it was impossible for anyone to challenge their win. Even though Latvia and Serbia had jury baits, they received only 36 and 22 points respectively. The jury votes weren't spread around enough to allow competition.

Furthermore, the concept of jury baits is more flawed than ever. With a televote-only system in the semis, many countries are at a disadvantage because they rarely receive good public scores. They have to rely on gimmicky songs to go to the finals, where they are then pushed down by the juries. The system is broken and clearly favors certain countries over others. 

• Thanks 5

F U all who said the public doesn't like Nemo

• Like 1

I wonder what the televote points would've looked like if Joost competed afterall. Certainly Croatia would've received like more in the 230-250 range. 

6 minutes ago, thismoment said:

Tattoo's streaming record will never be broken, we won

spacer.png

What was the highest daily streams for it?

Dizzy still didn't make it into the UK Spotify Top 50, Olly's finished :rip:

4 minutes ago, anti-***** said:

What was the highest daily streams for it?

5 minutes ago, Hurem said:

I wouldn't say Croatia was underrated per se, though the rankings by Belgium, Spain, and Portugal, placing it 18th, 19th, and 20th respectively, don't sit right with me.

The main issue was Switzerland receiving so many points that it was impossible for anyone to challenge their win. Even though Latvia and Serbia had jury baits, they received only 36 and 22 points respectively. The jury votes weren't spread around enough to allow competition.

Furthermore, the concept of jury baits is more flawed than ever. With a televote-only system in the semis, many countries are at a disadvantage because they rarely receive good public scores. They have to rely on gimmicky songs to go to the finals, where they are then pushed down by the juries. The system is broken and clearly favors certain countries over others. 

All of this.

What's really interesting in this situation (and somewhat last year), is how something as subjective as music made juries across different cultures and music influences decide Switzerland had the best song. It's just not realistic. Especially considering the public vote in those countries was very different.

After Osterdahl's recent interview, it is very clear to me that there are some big games with EBU behind the scenes. He talked about financial struggles of Eurovision and safety of it (not to mention how he said Sweden had to win last year). It's not hard to put 2 and 2 together and see a bigger picture.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6
  • Thumbs Down 1

Lower numbers compared to last year. I guess people were happy that it ended and that Israel didn't win and stopped there. :shutup:

ESC can't go on with Israel participating while committing genocide at the same time. We can't have this mess every year. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, POPTART said:

All of this.

What's really interesting in this situation (and somewhat last year), is how something as subjective as music made juries across different cultures and music influences decide Switzerland had the best song. It's just not realistic. Especially considering the public vote in those countries was very different.

After Osterdahl's recent interview, it is very clear to me that there are some big games with EBU behind the scenes. He talked about financial struggles of Eurovision and safety of it (not to mention how he said Sweden had to win last year). It's not hard to put 2 and 2 together and see a bigger picture.

Are you not embarrassed? All week you were claiming you had "tea" that Switzerland's odds were "manipulated" and yet they still won. Take your L and move on

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Gwendolyn said:

Dizzy still didn't make it into the UK Spotify Top 50, Olly's finished :rip:

Like it's really bad for him.. I Wrote A Song was still a moderate hit. Still haven't heard Dizzy on the radio once and I heard IWAS a bunch.

After all this he won't even to be able to give us generic radio fodder like Sweet Talker cause he's getting lashed from all fronts. Acting it is from now on :rip:

1 minute ago, abelfenty said:

Are you not embarrassed? All week you were claiming you had "tea" that Switzerland's odds were "manipulated" and yet they still won. Take your L and move on

Embarrassed about what? I claimed that I had the tea once, and it could still very well be true after all.

They were 4th in semi and 5th in the final by public vote, only to win thanks to massive jury support decided by 200 people.

If you don't see an issue with that, that's on you.

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Down 1

4 minutes ago, abelfenty said:

What's embarrassing is Nemo winning whilst being 5th with the public

• Thanks 4
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

5 minutes ago, Pendulum said:

The fact that Armenia scored more than Nemo in the semi is funny

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Pendulum said:

Key word winning

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, POPTART said:

Embarrassed about what? I claimed that I had the tea once, and it could still very well be true after all.

They were 4th in semi and 5th in the final by public vote, only to win thanks to massive jury support decided by 200 people.

If you don't see an issue with that, that's on you.

I don't see an issue with that because it's been a 50/50 split for about 15 years now. You're supposed to appeal to both the jury and televoters to win overall. There's no guarantee the televote winner will be the winner overall

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, abelfenty said:

I don't see an issue with that because it's been a 50/50 split for about 15 years now. You're supposed to appeal to both the jury and televoters to win overall. There's no guarantee the televote winner will be the winner overall

In an ideal situation, I agree.

However, if you reverse the score - say you're #1 in the televote and #5 in jury - you would be very unlikely to win this way. 

And that's the issue.

1 hour ago, Hurem said:

2023: *people angry at the juries giving Loreen so many points that it's hard for anyone to catch up*

2024: *juries giving Nemo even more points than they gave to Loreen*

tenor.gif

I wonder if there will be an outcry to eliminate the jury altogether. Not only did the jury winner beat out the the televote winner, this year they did it by only being fifth in the televote. I've found only one instance of the winner not being first or second in the televote. That was 2015 where Sweden was 3rd in televote, but dominated the jury vote. I sort of remember that after that year people started to question if the jury had to much influence in determining the winner.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.