What is the most impactful album of the 2010s ?

MoonGoodandHappy

6 hours ago, Pink Matter said:

The_Weeknd_-_House_of_Balloons.pngBornToDieAlbumCover.pngChannel_ORANGE.jpg

A combination of these three  :duck: 

Didn’t expect the actual right answer as the first response lol

21 and BEYONCÉ round out the top 5 imo for various reasons

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NOW

• halcyonday

• WhateverYouWant

• visions

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, visions said:

1. Born To Die

2. Pure Heroine

Especially for people who were 30ish and younger during the time of their releases. They're credited to this day for introducing an entire generation to new types of music.

What is the impact of 21? (Not saying there isn't any, genuinely wanna know where you guys are coming from.) 

Impact doesn't necessarily mean influence

21's impact on the industry itself was so huge in that it broke records that had been held for decades that most people thought never would be broken because sales had declined so much overall. It proved that it was still possible to have an album be a mega smash and sell like the heyday of record sales in the digital era, although it really was a lightning in a bottle moment and probably won't be replicated again.

It's influence can also be argued too, in terms of female singer-songwriters being taken more seriously again in the pop landscape (although you could argue that had already been started by Amy with Back to Black). While the production and aesthetics of artists like Lana, Frank, and Lorde have been more influential to the new generation of artists, 21 definitely paved the way for more AC/pop artists like Sam Smith, Emeli Sande, and Ed Sheeran breaking through on pop radio in the 2010's after it had been dominated for several years by dance-pop and EDM. Imo, 21's impact and influence is more about the lasting effect it had on the industry and radio rather than the direct musical influence on the next gen of artists.

Can someone tell me more about born to die and it’s impact 

I don’t mean that in a shady way I’m just not familiar with the genre much 

• ATRL Moderator

Obviously 21

6 hours ago, alejandreaux said:

taking into account all the different types of impact (such as popularity, acclaim, influence, cultural presence, etc.) these are the Big 5 in no particular order imo:

MTItOTY4MS5qcGVn.jpegIMG_1519.jpg
BornToDieAlbumCover.png
MTAtMzg0Ni5qcGVn.jpeg
61lMwNQGYbL._UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

:clap3: true.

LMAO at the monsters naming that gaga album over actual classics like 21 and to pimp a butterfly :dies:

21, Good Kid, M.A.D.D City, Chanel Orange, To Pimp A Butterfly, Beyonces self titled (release date), Random Access Memories. 

Lol at people naming teenage dream and 1989. Get REAL

Born to Die inspired nobody except maybe Selena Gomez. Billie Eilish don’t count cause she has always said hip hop is her biggest inspiration. Lana also isn’t responsible for the EDM shift, that would be Adele.

Rihanna for example had 2 ballads back to back as singles for her next album immediately after 21 came out and surged in popularity and the years after we got All Of Me, Stay, When I Was Your Man, etc

The real answer is 21 and The Weeknd’s House of Balloons

Pure Heroine is also definitely the more impactful album but that’s a discussion y’all arent ready to have yet

2 minutes ago, Love Again said:

Pure Heroine is also definitely the more impactful album but that’s a discussion y’all arent ready to have yet

I agree.

38 minutes ago, Love Again said:

Rihanna for example had 2 ballads back to back as singles for her next album immediately after 21 came out and surged in popularity and the years after we got All Of Me, Stay, When I Was Your Man, etc

One of those songs you mentioned was written by someone Lana worked with on Born to Die :gaycat4:

• ATRL Moderator

From a public standpoint, 21.  From a musical landscape standpoint, Born to Die.

It’s Born To Die.

Generic music that sells don’t count for impact.

Born to Die.

2 hours ago, Homebrand said:

Can someone tell me more about born to die and it’s impact 

I don’t mean that in a shady way I’m just not familiar with the genre much 

I Dreamed a Dream by Susan Boyle that’s where Adele go inspiration from and got successful 

7 hours ago, Miichael said:

Impact doesn't necessarily mean influence

21's impact on the industry itself was so huge in that it broke records that had been held for decades that most people thought never would be broken because sales had declined so much overall. It proved that it was still possible to have an album be a mega smash and sell like the heyday of record sales in the digital era, although it really was a lightning in a bottle moment and probably won't be replicated again.

It's influence can also be argued too, in terms of female singer-songwriters being taken more seriously again in the pop landscape (although you could argue that had already been started by Amy with Back to Black). While the production and aesthetics of artists like Lana, Frank, and Lorde have been more influential to the new generation of artists, 21 definitely paved the way for more AC/pop artists like Sam Smith, Emeli Sande, and Ed Sheeran breaking through on pop radio in the 2010's after it had been dominated for several years by dance-pop and EDM. Imo, 21's impact and influence is more about the lasting effect it had on the industry and radio rather than the direct musical influence on the next gen of artists.

Thank you for actually taking the time to explain, I definitely understand where people are coming from more when talking about 21's impact. Can for sure see what you mean about 21's impact being on the industry/behind the scenes rather than the more obvious changes in musicians like what Lana did. 

I think we see both from Lana though. In terms of the industry, I don't think Lana inspired or influenced Lorde, but she definitely created a landscape for artists like Lorde to smash with a song like Royals. I don't think songs like Royals or Pure Heroine would have been anywhere close to its success if Lana didn't debut before and open those doors. Then in terms of artistic influence Lana doesn't have any competition here, she's been cited as inspiration more than anyone else from the 2010's (arguably this century) from some of the biggest names in music today.

1 hour ago, Winged said:

I Dreamed a Dream by Susan Boyle that’s where Adele go inspiration from and got successful 

:dies:

8 hours ago, VioletsandRoses said:

Pure heroine? That album wasn’t big out of certain markets and its Not really talked about.

This is just a lie lol, PH gets talked about a lot to this day. And an album doesn't need to be big in every market to have influence over a generation like PH does. There are albums like To Pimp a Butterfly which wasn't anywhere close to being as big as 21 in every market and yet is still easily one of the more influential albums of the decade, along with 21. Global sales =/= impact. 

7 hours ago, VioletsandRoses said:

Lol at the 21 shade

Wasn't shade. I was genuinely asking for a reasonable explanation that I got from another user and now I understand its impact a lot more!

superficial

recurrent streams solidified its monumental impact status... 

21, BTD, Teenage Dream. 

Rihanna should have a place too but she peaked in 2008/2009 and her heavy success this decade is uniformly spread in multiply albums rather than being heavy concentrated in just one or two albums. So because of that she misses the spot. 

Edited by Aristotle

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.