The Broadway Thread | 2024 TONY Nominations Out

Gwendolyn

The show must go on!

0d.jpg

Welcome to ATRL's first ever Broadway and West End thread - where we can discuss all things about Musical theatre, including the shows, casting announcements, drama and more For all theatre kids and ex-theatre kids - this is the place to break a leg :heart2:

Edited by Gwendolyn

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gwendolyn

• Lovett

• Almodusa

• Hector

Top Posters In This Topic

woooo glad this exist now!

Hoping to see Oklahoma, Guys and Dolls, A Strange Loop, Groundhog Day and Operation Mincemeat soon!

I'm seeing Newsies tomorrow, which I'm very excited about. Oklahoma! was... interesting. I wasn't personally a fan but I appreciated that they did something different with the production.

I need a Hairspray Revival or Tour, missed it the last time :gaycat7:

I saw Six in January 2022 (on the UK national tour) and it was a HOOT! The girl who played Anne of Cleves that night did her thing, even when we we're sat far away from the stage the show was super engaging. I wanted to see &Juliet but it's closed now in London :(

59 minutes ago, MrLovett said:

I'm seeing Newsies tomorrow, which I'm very excited about. Oklahoma! was... interesting. I wasn't personally a fan but I appreciated that they did something different with the production.

Newsies was cute! Great production value and choreo. 

I'd do anything to get a transfer of the recent Into The Woods or Sweeney Todd from Broadway :(

thanks so much for this thread! 

I came back from a Broadway trip a few weeks ago and saw Parade, Camelot, A Doll’s House :jonny:,  Shucked, New York New York, Kimberly Akimbo and Dancin. they were all really good to varying degrees, but NYNY was painfully generic and basic 

this weekend i’m visiting my sister in London and today I’m going to the last performance of A Streetcar Named Desire :jonny5:

what are some of your favorite shows, and what has been the best shows you’ve seen?? 

1 hour ago, MrLovett said:

Oklahoma is one of my favorite musicals but I really hated that production.. I’ll never forget the look of confusion on old people’s faces after the who was over :rip: 

1 minute ago, TaylorNation said:

Oklahoma is one of my favorite musicals but I really hated that production.. I’ll never forget the look of confusion on old people’s faces after the who was over :rip: 

I've never seen the original production or film, so I don't have anything to compare it to, but I was just utterly confused. I have a friend in the cast who was on as one of the leads and all I could say after was "I thought it was so interesting!" :toofunny3: Her aunt was sitting near us with her friend (two older ladies) and they were exactly as you said - totally confused.

I also don't really understand what the moral of the story is. So weird. The actress who played Ado Annie scalped me though. She was brilliant.

17 minutes ago, TaylorNation said:

thanks so much for this thread! 

I came back from a Broadway trip a few weeks ago and saw Parade, Camelot, A Doll’s House :jonny:,  Shucked, New York New York, Kimberly Akimbo and Dancin. they were all really good to varying degrees, but NYNY was painfully generic and basic 

this weekend i’m visiting my sister in London and today I’m going to the last performance of A Streetcar Named Desire :jonny5:

what are some of your favorite shows, and what has been the best shows you’ve seen?? 

How was Legend Chastain in A Doll’s House? 

Considering seeing Heathers on Tour.. has anyone seen Heathers? I loved the soundtrack years ago when it first became popular.

Spoiler

But the West End show has TRULY overstayed its welcome at the Other Palace, isn't the venue supposed to be for indie shows :rip:

Edited by Gwendolyn

5 minutes ago, Gwendolyn said:

Considering seeing Heathers on Tour.. has anyone seen Heathers? I loved the soundtrack years ago when it first became popular.

Reveal hidden contents

But the West End show has TRULY overstayed its welcome at the Other Palace, isn't the venue supposed to be for indie shows :rip:

Yes! I saw it when it was at the Theatre Royal Haymarket and really enjoyed it. The soundtrack is banger after banger, but I really enjoyed the story too. It was just a really fun, enjoyable show where everyone is belting their faces off.

TONY Award nominations come out on May 2nd :heart2:

4 minutes ago, Gwendolyn said:

I still can't believe Flea Michelle managed to knuckle her way back into the industry and play Fanny on Broadway :toofunny2:

& Juliet

is the best show ever. It’s made for ATRL audiences. Please go in blindly. I’ve seen it 5 times and dream of seeing it again even though I do not live anywhere near New York at all.

16 minutes ago, Gwendolyn said:

TONY Award nominations come out on May 2nd :heart2:

Mariah Carey is about to become a Tony nominee

I really want to go see Sweeney Todd  :gaycat6:  I'm a bit of a hike from NY, but it's still doable for a weekend trip, but...those prices. 

Seeing on our Memorial Day Weekend 2023 trip:

&Juliet

Once Upon a One More Time (In Previews)

Sweeney

Funny Girl

Parade

:heart:

Saw a regional production of Sister Act last week and the show is a blast! Great pop score by King Menken. :gaycatina1:

The book was messy though. Way too many random solos for smaller characters that stop the show in its tracks. 

It's amazing how diverse British theatre has become in only 6 years :heart2:

I saw Newsies last night and I loved it. The dancing was absolutely incredible. The actor who played Jack was pretty vocally weak, unfortunately, but aside from that I really enjoyed the show. Was delayed due to tech issues though and they messed up some mic queues plus completely botched Medda's spotlight for the first portion of her song. :rip:

6 hours ago, MrLovett said:

I saw Newsies last night and I loved it. The dancing was absolutely incredible. The actor who played Jack was pretty vocally weak, unfortunately, but aside from that I really enjoyed the show. Was delayed due to tech issues though and they messed up some mic queues plus completely botched Medda's spotlight for the first portion of her song. :rip:

it's SUCH a good show. bop after bop after bop in that score

I slept for the whole act 1 of Phantom of the Opera. I felt bad about it. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.