Top Posters In This Topic

• Gwendolyn

• Lovett

• Hector

• Almodusa

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/19/2023 at 2:48 PM, Lovett said:

Bizarre casting, in my opinion. :rip:

How though? Nicole literally IS Norma. Once an IT girl, then forgotten, fighting to get back into the spotlight. Nicole has definitely been a victim of ageism as well.

AND, from the early previews, literally EVERYONE is mind blown by this. It's a complete re-imagination of the story, they are calling it ground breaking and one of the best shows they've ever seen.

Multiple standing ovations throughout the show, Nicole is being praised to high heavens. Seems like she may have that Olivier on lock.

Also, she told one fan that they are possibly aiming for a Broadway transfer next year.

She may also star in Death Becomes Her in Chicago in Spring 2024. She lead the New York reading and basically everyone that was a part of it was cast, which was announced to open first in Chicago before transferring to Broadway. And she flew to Chicago last week. The person that broke the news that Nicole was starring as Norma in Sunset Boulevard said that he believes it's pretty much a done deal.

Nicole is finally coming for her LEGEND status now that she seems to have finally made the decision to drop the Mainstream Pop Scene for theater. That's where she belongs.

Also, if y'all are in London, make sure you check out Sunset Boulevard.

so yeah I went to Sunset Boulevard on thursday and it was a mess :rip: 

Nicole is so miscast that the story makes no sense. she also plays the character funny and sexy, which Norma Desmond isn’t supposed to be. any funny moments come from her own delusion of self and the situation she’s in, not because she waves her fingers MC Debra style and does tiktok dances… it was honestly so shocking at times :deadbanana4:

the minimal staging was also the pits. it can be amazing when used properly (like A Doll’s House) but here it was dumb. though I will say she sang it really well and the screens were kinda cool. 

locals are probably “blown away” by this because it stars a D list UK celebrity in a transformative role but make no mistake, this couldn’t play on Broadway :rip: 

On 10/1/2023 at 1:51 PM, TaylorNation said:

Nicole is so miscast that the story makes no sense. she also plays the character funny and sexy, which Norma Desmond isn’t supposed to be. any funny moments come from her own delusion of self and the situation she’s in, not because she waves her fingers MC Debra style and does tiktok dances… it was honestly so shocking at times :deadbanana4:

the minimal staging was also the pits. it can be amazing when used properly (like A Doll’s House) but here it was dumb. though I will say she sang it really well and the screens were kinda cool. 

locals are probably “blown away” by this because it stars a D list UK celebrity in a transformative role but make no mistake, this couldn’t play on Broadway :rip: 

Lmao, this is literally the first negative review I've seen. And you've pretty much MISSED the entire point. This is a re-imagination of the story. It's a modern take on the classic.

This re-imagined version is basically a Nicole Scherzinger showcase. The story almost mimics her career, but instead of Norma fading into irrelevancy and trying to get back into the spotlight, Norma was never really showcased or utilized for her full potential. And it's the time to do that.

Also, it's almost confirmed to be moving to Broadway in Summer 2024.

Nicole WILL get her Olivier in March and Tony when it moves to Broadway. You can bookmark me on this

Edited by UnderratedVocalist

On 10/8/2023 at 3:25 PM, UnderratedVocalist said:

Lmao, this is literally the first negative review I've seen. And you've pretty much MISSED the entire point. This is a re-imagination of the story. It's a modern take on the classic.

This re-imagined version is basically a Nicole Scherzinger showcase. The story almost mimics her career, but instead of Norma fading into irrelevancy and trying to get back into the spotlight, Norma was never really showcased or utilized for her full potential. And it's the time to do that.

Also, it's almost confirmed to be moving to Broadway in Summer 2024.

Nicole WILL get her Olivier in March and Tony when it moves to Broadway. You can bookmark me on this

well maybe on PCD.net they’re all raves but most of the opinions I’ve seen on broadway world and reddit have been lukewarm (not to mention that not all reviews have been positive) 

re-imaginings can be great when done right, see Lloyd’s own A Doll’s House or even Oklahoma from a few years ago.

but here the minimalist approach felt lazy and uninspired, not to mention cheap. a lot of new shows are jumping on the “minimalist” trend to obviously slash budgets and here you could tell. (though since this is done by many shows, I guess it’s not fair to just fault Sunset for it). and this is before getting into Nicole and her questionable acting choices :rip: 

so no, I didn’t MISS the entire point. they just tried to transform the material into something it is not 

and can I ask where did you see that this is “almost confirmed” to go to Broadway? because I haven’t seen anything on my end

35 minutes ago, TaylorNation said:

well maybe on PCD.net they’re all raves but most of the opinions I’ve seen on broadway world and reddit have been lukewarm (not to mention that not all reviews have been positive) 

re-imaginings can be great when done right, see Lloyd’s own A Doll’s House or even Oklahoma from a few years ago.

but here the minimalist approach felt lazy and uninspired, not to mention cheap. a lot of new shows are jumping on the “minimalist” trend to obviously slash budgets and here you could tell. (though since this is done by many shows, I guess it’s not fair to just fault Sunset for it). and this is before getting into Nicole and her questionable acting choices :rip: 

so no, I didn’t MISS the entire point. they just tried to transform the material into something it is not 

and can I ask where did you see that this is “almost confirmed” to go to Broadway? because I haven’t seen anything on my end

None of the reviews I've read are from PCD fans :rip: Just search Nicole Scherzinger or Sunset Blvrd on twitter. I bet you won't find more than 5 negative reviews. Also, please link me to the Broadway World and Reddit thread were the reception has been lukewarm.

We'll see how the official reviews look on Thursday.

The same person that teased and then first broke the news that Nicole was starring as Norma basically confirmed it's move to Broadway next year.

First reviews are in @TaylorNation Nicole is receiving universal acclaim. She ia finally here to collect her well deserved flowers. 

• 2 weeks later...

@UnderratedVocalist why are you so pressed with me and my opinion that you have to harass me across the forum? 

yeah I thought her performance was ass and did not like the production. so? 

a much better use of your time would be to invest all this time and energy into getting a job so you can go yo the west end. please stop @ and quoting me. thanks! 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, TaylorNation said:

@UnderratedVocalist why are you so pressed with me and my opinion that you have to harass me across the forum? 

yeah I thought her performance was ass and did not like the production. so? 

a much better use of your time would be to invest all this time and energy into getting a job so you can go yo the west end. please stop @ and quoting me. thanks! 

I'm going to see her in November lol.

You were obviously trying to shade her and try to pain a picture that it's receiving mixed reviews and reaction. Guess it was mostly just you.

• 5 weeks later...

Nicole Scherzinger won Best Musical Performance at the Evening Standard Theatre Awards

78021915-12770963-image-a-158_1700489575

The first of many to come.

to anyone who has seen mean girls, what was your opinion on it? i'm going in 2 weeks and pretty excited 

booked my New York trip for January! 

this is what i’m planning on seeing:

Titanique

Purlie Victorious 

Spamalot

Gutenberg 

Appropriate

Merrily We Roll Along :jonnycat:

Here We Are 

and going to see Sweeney and Shucked again 

:jonny5:

has anybody seen any of these other than Sweeney and Shucked? i’m so excited and have no idea what to expect for most of them 

WAIT there’s an ATRL Broadway thread!?!?!

On 12/4/2023 at 10:13 AM, TaylorNation said:

Titanique

Purlie Victorious 

Spamalot

Gutenberg 

Appropriate

Here We Are 

has anybody seen any of these other than Sweeney and Shucked? i’m so excited and have no idea what to expect for most of them 

Titanique was HILARIOUS

Going to see Sondheim’s Old Friends in London in January 

Going to see Merrily, Once Upon a Mattress (starring my fave Sutton Foster), AND Sweeney (2nd time, also starring Sutton) in January/February. Saw it FRONT ROW (lottery win) with Groban and Gaeten in the summer and was blown away.

Could you tell me all the awards is Nicole nominated to? And when will other nominations for her come out? 

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/1/2023 at 1:51 PM, TaylorNation said:

It was just announced that it's transferring to Broadway in November for a 6-month run.

On 12/8/2023 at 12:14 PM, Marco23 said:

Could you tell me all the awards is Nicole nominated to? And when will other nominations for her come out? 

She was previously nominated for an Olivier for her performance as Grizabella in Cats.

For Sunset Boulevard, she's already won Best Performance in a Musical at the Evening Standard Awards, she is nominated for Best Performance at the What's On Stage Awards. Basically, her Olivier nomination is on lock and she has a very high chance of winning that too.

And next year, she'll be aiming for that Tony.

On 12/4/2023 at 2:13 AM, TaylorNation said:

Titanique

Purlie Victorious 

Spamalot

Gutenberg 

Appropriate

Here We Are 

You need to see & Juliet.

41 minutes ago, ALittleGauche said:

You need to see & Juliet.

I don’t like jukebox musicals unfortunately :noparty:

4 hours ago, TaylorNation said:

I don’t like jukebox musicals unfortunately :noparty:

I promise you’ll love it. Go in blindly! So many people who’ve said the same thing ended up loving the show!

Just saw Guys & Dolls in London and woooooowwwww. It was absolutely incredible. Marisha Wallace and Cedric Neal in particular blew my mind. If anyone is wanting to see something in London, go and see that!

• 2 months later...

2024 Laurance Olivier Awards nominations:

Best New Play
Dear England, James Graham
The Hills of California, Jez Butterworth
The Motive and the Cue, Jack Thorne
Till the Stars Come Down, Beth Steel

Best New Musical
The Little Big Things
Next to Normal
Operation Mincemeat
A Strange Loop

Best Revival
The Effect
Macbeth
Shirley Valentine
Vanya

Best Musical Revival
Groundhog Day
Guys and Dolls
Hadestown
Sunset Boulevard

Best New Entertainment or Comedy Play
Accidental Death of an Anarchist, Dario Fo and Franca Rame, Tom Basden (adaptation)
Stephen Sondheim’s Old Friends
Stranger Things: The First Shadow, Kate Trefry
Vardy V Rooney: The Wagatha Christie Trial, Liv Hennessy (adaptation)

Best Actress
Laura Donnelly, The Hills of California
Sophie Okonedo, Medea
Sarah Jessica Parker, Plaza Suite
Sheridan Smith, Shirley Valentine
Sarah Snook, The Picture of Dorian Gray

Best Actor
Joseph Fiennes, Dear England
Mark Gatiss, The Motive and the Cue
James Norton, A Little Life
Andrew Scott, Vanya
David Tennant, Macbeth

Best Actress in a Musical
Natasha Hodgson, Operation Mincemeat
Caissie Levy, Next to Normal
Nicole Scherzinger, Sunset Boulevard
Marisha Wallace, Guys and Dolls

Best Actor in a Musical
David Cumming, Operation Mincemeat
Tom Francis, Sunset Boulevard
Daniel Mays, Guys and Dolls
Charlie Stemp, Crazy for You

Best Actress in a Supporting Role
Lorraine Ashbourne, Till the Stars Come Down
Priyanga Burford, An Enemy of the People
Haydn Gwynne, When Winston Went to War With the Wireless
Gina McKee, Dear England
Tanya Reynolds, A Mirror

Best Actor in a Supporting Role
Will Close, Dear England
Paul Hilton, An Enemy of the People
Giles Terera, Clyde’s
Luke Thompson, A Little Life
Zubin Varla, A Little Life

Best Actress in a Supporting Role in a Musical
Grace Hodgett Young, Sunset Boulevard
Zoë Roberts, Operation Mincemeat
Amy Trigg, The Little Big Things
Eleanor Worthington-Cox, Next to Normal

Best Actor in a Supporting Role in a Musical
Jak Malone, Operation Mincemeat
Cedric Neal, Guys and Dolls
David Thaxton, Sunset Boulevard
Jack Wolfe, Next to Normal

Best Director
Stephen Daldry and Justin Martin, Stranger Things: The First Shadow
Rupert Goold, Dear England
Jamie Lloyd, Sunset Boulevard
Sam Mendes, The Motive and the Cue

Best Theatre Choreographer
Fabian Aloise, Sunset Boulevard
Ellen Kane and Hannes Langolf, Dear England
Arlene Phillips with James Cousins, Guys and Dolls
Mark Smith, The Little Big Things
Susan Stroman, Crazy for You

Best Costume Design
Bunny Christie and Deborah Andrews, Guys and Dolls
Ryan Dawson Laight, La Cage Aux Folles
Hugh Durrant, Peter Pan
Marg Horwell, The Picture of Dorian Gray

Best Sound Design
Paul Arditti. Stranger Things: The First Shadow
Dan Balfour and Tom Gibbins, Dear England
Adam Fisher, Sunset Boulevard
Gareth Fry, Macbeth

Outstanding Musical Contribution
Tom Brady (musical supervision and arrangements) and Charlie Rosen (orchestrations), Guys and Dolls
Matt Brind (musical supervision, arrangements, and orchestrations), Just for One Day
Steve Sidwell (orchestrations) and Joe Bunker (musical direction), Operation Mincemeat
Alan Williams (musical supervision and musical direction), Sunset Boulevard

Best Set Design
Miriam Buether (set) and 59 Productions (video), Stranger Things: The First Shadow
Bunny Christie, Guys and Dolls
Es Devlin (set) and Ash J Woodward (video), Dear England
Soutra Gilmour (set) and Nathan Amzi and Joe Ransom (video) Sunset Boulevard

Best Lighting Design
Jon Clark, Dear England
Jon Clark, Stranger Things: The First Shadow
Paule Constable, Guys and Dolls
Jack Knowles, Sunset Boulevard

Best New Opera Production
Blue
Innocence
Picture a Day Like This
The Rhinegold

Outstanding Achievement in Opera
Antonio Pappano, for his role as musical director of the Royal Opera House
Belarus Free Theatre Company, for King Stakh’s Wild Hunt
Marina Abramović, for her concept and design of 7 Deaths of Maria Callas

Best New Dance Production
Broken Chord, Gregory Maqoma and Thuthuka Sibisi
The Rite of Spring, Seeta Patel
La Ruta, Gabriela Carrizo
Time Spell, Michelle Dorrance, Jillian Meyers and Tiler Peck

Outstanding Achievement in Dance
Isabela Coracy, for her performance in NINA: By Whatever Means
Jonzi D, for his artistic direction of Breakin’ Convention 2023 International Festival of Hip-hop Dance Theatre
Rhiannon Faith, for her community-focused conception of Lay Down Your Burdens at The Pit

Outstanding Achievement in Affiliate Theatre
Blue Mist, Mohamed-Zain Dada
A Playlist for The Revolution, AJ Yi
Sleepova, Matilda Feyişayo
The Swell, Isley Lynn
The Time Machine: A Comedy, Steven Canny and John Nicholson

Best Family Show
Bluey’s Big Play, Joe Brumm
Dinosaur World Live, Derek Bond
The House With Chicken Legs, Sophie Anderson, Oliver Lansley (adaptation)
The Smeds and the Smoos, Julia Donaldson and Axel Scheffler, Tall Stories (adaptation)

• 4 weeks later...

Just saw Cabaret on Broadway, a slay :clap3:

Eddie ate :WAP:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.