Dark-themed albums that changed a career trajectory

BizarreWizard

For better or worse:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Does Erotica count, definitely changed Madonna's career if it does. 

spacer.png

3027488517_d289eb88c9.jpg

changed Kelly's career from the typical label muse to anti-popstar that rebelled against biggest mogul!

Reputation really isn’t a “dark themed album” :toofunny3:

It just has a more heavy electropop sound, black and white theme, and I guess LWYMMD. But really… it’s just not that.

If anything folklore is what fits the bill. It goes infinitely deeper and ‘darker’ subject wise or even sound wise (nothing on reputation is haunting in the way Epiphany is) and the album photoshoot gives very Midsommar horror in the day vibes. But I’m not sure if it’s what you’d call a dark album either, so.

3 minutes ago, supertiffany said:

changed Kelly's career from the typical label muse to anti-popstar that rebelled against biggest mogul!

please, this plain jane has never been a muse, an anti pop-star or a rebel, i keep seeing her name everywhere here and only here, stop it for once and for all.

26 minutes ago, Power love said:

Stripped

another plain jane

4 minutes ago, shyboi said:

please, this plain jane has never been a muse, an anti pop-star or a rebel, i keep seeing her name everywhere here and only here, stop it for once and for all.

another plain jane

Haha, you need a hug. Or you need to expand your horizons. Either way, you’re opinion is sad. Which must mean you’re sad. And if you’re sad doesn’t mean you have to be mean. So be kind. And simmer down. Thanks.

Just now, Julianna Calm Down said:

Haha, you need a hug. Or you need to expand your horizons. Either way, you’re opinion is sad. Which must mean you’re sad. And if you’re sad doesn’t mean you have to be mean. So be kind. And simmer down. Thanks.

I needed this, thank you :swan: An act of kindness can really change your day, blessings.

14 minutes ago, shyboi said:

I needed this, thank you :swan: An act of kindness can really change your day, blessings.

Glad we could connect in such a wholesome way. Take care of yourself. There’s room for everyone. 😘

1200px-Album-SOFAD.jpg

1 member left, 1 almost died from an overdose, 1 suffered from alcoholism and 1 from depression. It's a miracle the band survived.

81s UFcFaUL._SL1500_.jpg

David Bowie was at his lowest: fat, nasty and addicted to cocaine. Career in shambles. He came on this ***** mad as hell!

61Gy7Wy3EvS._SL1200_.jpg

Sinatra broke up with the love of his life and recorded the first concept album in history as a rebound.

81DOqXryW9L._SL1400_.jpg

Inspired by Bowie's Low and substance abuse, Trent Reznor recorded the definitive soundtrack of depression. A must-listen for every alt-pop girl.

Kraftwerk+Die-Mensch-Maschine.jpg

Cynical. Nihilistic. The foundation of electronic music.

Edited by The Next Day

The DREAMING Y'ALLLLLLL

1 hour ago, supertiffany said:

oh YES THIS TOO :clap3:

6 minutes ago, LustSpell said:

Ultraviolence.

BTD + Paradise we’re pretty dark as well 

Her best album. I badly need it on vinyl :giraffe:

Didn’t she release my life would suck the album after this??? She released cookie cutter music since

spacer.png
spacer.png

Edited by Julia Fox

2 hours ago, JoeAg said:

The DREAMING Y'ALLLLLLL

Not with songs like Suspended In Gaffa, Sat In Your Lap, There Goes A Tenner:toofunny3:

Edited by Raptus

1 hour ago, Raptus said:

Not with songs like Suspended In Gaffa, Sat In Your Lap, There Goes A Tenner:toofunny3:

the three upbeat songs on the album, and two of them are super existential

I will give you There Goes a Tenner, it's definitely an outlier and a bit lighthearted. but she REALLY tapped into some solipsistic and epistemological stuff elsewhere. songs like All the Love, Leave It Open, and Get Out of My House are all super intense. Houdini reckons with death too, in an unusual but still very effective way. add all of those lyrics to the actual sonic landscape and you get a markedly dark album, particularly compared to everything that preceded it :giraffe:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.