How do you meet new friends as an adult?

GraceRandolph

1 hour ago, Jooj said:

This is probably the most nihilistic thing ive ever read.

O.T.: If you dont keep your friends from school/college its over tbh

Not true at all…

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JayG

• #Beautiful

• Solaria

• cockatoo

1 minute ago, #Beautiful said:

oh and as for peoples replies above: YOUR WORK COLLEAGUES ARE NOT YOUR FRIENDS. dont move through life thinking otherwise, ever

No they’re not but some of them become very close friends… literally formed family bonds with multiple of them who were once colleagues, it can happen depending on where you work

1 minute ago, JayG said:

No they’re not but some of them become very close friends… literally formed family bonds with multiple of them who were once colleagues, it can happen depending on where you work

it definitely can happen and it depends on the workplace and individual but when it comes to work colleagues and while still on said job if you insist on socializing with them for friendship always and i literally mean always keep a safe distance in what you say because people are snakes and theyll do whatever they need to do for their own bag at the end of the day

3 hours ago, taylamour said:

I've made lifelong friends with other people suffering at the same workplace as me. 

:cm:

I find the energy you put out to the world is the energy you receive back. When you start taking care of yourself better, you become more confident with yourself and make friends easier.

When I started working out and eating healthier for example I became much more confident in approaching people which is how I made 2 new friends 

11 minutes ago, #Beautiful said:

it definitely can happen and it depends on the workplace and individual but when it comes to work colleagues and while still on said job if you insist on socializing with them for friendship always and i literally mean always keep a safe distance in what you say because people are snakes and theyll do whatever they need to do for their own bag at the end of the day

See I see this kind of advice ALL the time, not just on here but also on Twitter and TikTok. ‘Don’t trust your colleagues’ ‘Everyone at work will throw you under the bus’

This must be a USA workplace thing right? Cause I rarely hear that kind of advice over here

um. why is everyone in this thread literally cynical.

i’ve met people through people. say you attend your colleagues party, and you meet someone there and they end up being one of the funniest people you’ve ever met. or if i stumble upon someone i i kinda know but not really, i always ask what they’re up to this weekend to both show interest and remind them i exist and also jump on new plans with new people if it sounds fun! 

i disagree with everyone in this thread who’s decided life’s over if you don’t carry on with your friends from school or whatever. we’re all curious people, and we have to get uncomfortable and push ourselves to socialize more if we fall out of it at a certain stage in our lives. 

To add to what others say, if you're not big on the bar/dating scene (as I'm not) perhaps develop some social hobbies.

I met my best friend & associated circle through online gaming. it sounds lame but actually it's become the most meaningful relationship i've got and we hang out like all the time.

there is an element of I got lucky, but I do think mutual interests can be the basis of friendships for sure

Watch an episode of Moesha! She will become your friends quick! Especially in your head!

11 minutes ago, Love Again said:

See I see this kind of advice ALL the time, not just on here but also on Twitter and TikTok. ‘Don’t trust your colleagues’ ‘Everyone at work will throw you under the bus’

This must be a USA workplace thing right? Cause I rarely hear that kind of advice over here

I live in eastern europe 

Edited by #Beautiful

college and work are where I’ve met all my adult/post high school friends. and then eventually u make new friends through some of your other new friends. 

You (or rather I) don't.

7 hours ago, Love Again said:

Same. Ew. The US seems horrible.

8 hours ago, #Beautiful said:

Where do you live. How ****** is that? I’ve never had that experience at all. People I’ve worked with actually HELPED promote me. 💀

1 hour ago, JayG said:

Where do you live. How ****** is that? I’ve never had that experience at all. People I’ve worked with actually HELPED promote me. 💀

romania. i work with brits tho, so it depends on the workplace i guess

34 minutes ago, #Beautiful said:

romania. i work with brits tho, so it depends on the workplace i guess

Tragic, never had that experience, people have helped and even nominated me for ****

Going out to bars and clubs is the easiest way, I've met so many different types of people like this. And then their friends sometimes become your friends as well

Some of my friends and i how i meet them :gaycat4:

Roommates
From University
From Grindr (I was lookin for friends not sex)
Reddit people reaching out to me cause they liked my posts
From Whastsapp Groups
Neighboor. Accidentally while she was outside with her cat

But yes is harder....i feel like there's a pandemic of solitude today. We are more connected than ever but at the same time very lonely
As a LGBTI dude it doesnt help how so many people in the comunity are lookin for Sex only.
it would be amazing if everyone was more open to friendship :giraffe:

Maybe stop being an ******* on here for starters? :gaycat2:

• ATRL Moderator

Meet them at shows, concerts, and then actually follow through with hanging out again.  

It all depends on your circumstances, personality type and line of work probably.

Generally if you're more of an introvert the odds are already against you, but if you're lucky you could still find new friends using apps possibly.

I work from home and I've lost all my social skills (if I had any to begin with lol). Introverted to the bone and don't feel like I can relate to anyone around me, so it's a lost cause more or less at the moment. I'm in my mid 20s so things can change ig but you can't force friendships imo.

Anyway good luck OP, maybe you can share with us if you find success  :coffee:

Edited by chromatico
Typo

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.