What American foods were overhyped when you tried them for the first time?

Josh

Just now, Josh said:

your problem was you googled it in the first place. Google is not a reliable source on food imo

I'd love to hear more about it. Do you have the name of some of the dishes? I actually love new types food and I feel like the way America is portrayed internally doesn't really showcase what you guys have to offer. 

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Josh

• Badgalbriel

• Blade Runner

• Bonicap

all of them, especially american candy and chocolate 

it all tastes like greasy, cheap, tasteless **** 

Edit: wait soul food… maybe america did make some points after all 

Edited by ScorpiosGroove

A few years ago I went to New York, I bought a pretzel in one of those street carts (there were hundreds around the city), gave it a bite and threw it in the bin in less than a minute. Why the hell would someone want to eat cardboard.

2 minutes ago, Bonicap said:

A few years ago I went to New York, I bought a pretzel in one of those street carts (there were hundreds around the city), gave it a bite and threw it in the bin in less than a minute. Why the hell would someone want to eat cardboard.

Was it a plain pretzel? did you add stuff on it like mustard?

5 minutes ago, Josh said:

Was it a plain pretzel? did you add stuff on it like mustard?

I didn't add anything. That was maybe a mistake.

6 minutes ago, Bonicap said:

I didn't add anything. That was maybe a mistake.

I always add honey mustard to my pretzels with some salt

I went to US in like highschool. I didnt like most of the candies and sweets, KFC was overrated and lots of burger places were meeh . Bread was also too sugary I hated it. My friends grandmother made us homemade Shepards pie and chocolat chip cookies and tht was the best meal I had mmmm

Yeah American chocolate is absolutely VILE.

How do you all cope?

1 hour ago, Badgalbriel said:

I didn't know there was such a thing as American food, tbh. I thought you guys ate only burgers and other places food. 

Same here. Every time I think of American food, it's always burgers, hot-dogs, fried chicken, mac and cheese... I never heard of any actual American cuisine. :rip:

3 hours ago, Love Again said:

Taki’s. Don’t like the flavour nor the texture. The lime is overbearing

Takis aren't American, they're Mexican and they changed the recipe when they crossed over. 

2 hours ago, Jotham said:

Lol @ some of these replies. Who hyped corn dogs and meatloaf for y'all? :toofunny2:

For non-Americans these are signature American dishes.

-

Twinkies literally tasted like air.

• ATRL Moderator

This thread just confirms that most people dragging the US know nothing about it :rip: 

1 hour ago, Badgalbriel said:

I'd love to hear more about it. Do you have the name of some of the dishes? I actually love new types food and I feel like the way America is portrayed internally doesn't really showcase what you guys have to offer. 

I believe this person is trolling you. it's not a complex thing you can't get right from google, lmao. those are american cuisine, yes. we are supposed to be a melting pot so most of the other food available is from other cultures.

American candy is so much worse than my country’s in pretty much every field tbh. The chocolate especially. On the flip side the burgers and the bacon were absolutely worth the hype.

2 hours ago, Blade Runner said:

The only "american" food worthy of attention is southern cuisine. Everything else is a mass-produced mess. 

We have everything and a lot of great immigrant\American food like orange chicken, nachos, Alfredo pasta. 

we are a melting pot and that is our strength and our weakness. Food wise 

Edited by Danny789

In N Out burgers and fries

They’re flavorless and overrated 

Twizzlers. What a disappointment 

5 hours ago, Bonicap said:

I haven't eaten an American pretzel yet but the original from Europe is great. Bavarian pretzels are the best. Or do you mean something else?

spacer.png

I once tried Pop Tarts. Not really food, just candy but it tasted so bad.

MadonnasBoyfriend

Beer is nasty. Like why the **** do people like that ****?

Edited by MadonnasBoyfriend

4 hours ago, Wizard said:

I thought twinkies would be better 

Same. They literally just taste like… sugar. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.