What American foods were overhyped when you tried them for the first time?

Josh

For the ones who traveled to America and tried overhyped American food items for the first time, what ones were so disgusting and overhyped? 

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Josh

• Badgalbriel

• Blade Runner

• Bonicap

I've tried American pancakes and I didn't like them at all. The texture isn't it for me. The maple syrup is nice though.

Taki’s. Don’t like the flavour nor the texture. The lime is overbearing

Krispy Kreme

Food from Whataburger :pukey: more of a Texas thing tho I guess. 

mmm meatloaf I guess? I always thought of it as something close to a “traditional dish” from the US, but I’m not really fond of it. Later on I realized it’s just pastel de carne :rip: 

Cheetos

Our local knock-off versions of it literally tastes 10x better

Literally all the burger places y'all overhype.

They just taste like any ol' burgers, nothing wild for y'all to stan this much. :toofunny2:

Peanut butter and jelly sandwich.  Now I love peanut butter and I love jelly, but it was really bad together.  I guess it's one of those things that you have to eat since childhood to love it.

27 minutes ago, Jotham said:

Lol @ some of these replies. Who hyped corn dogs and meatloaf for y'all? :toofunny2:

This. 

The only "american" food worthy of attention is southern cuisine. Everything else is a mass-produced mess. 

53 minutes ago, Jotham said:

Lol @ some of these replies. Who hyped corn dogs and meatloaf for y'all? :toofunny2:

Decades of Hollywood movies that infiltrated the entire world, I guess. 

1 hour ago, Jotham said:

princess diaries had me gagging for a corn dog as a kid :rip:

Edited by AM98GJ

20 minutes ago, Blade Runner said:

The only "american" food worthy of attention is southern cuisine. Everything else is a mass-produced mess. 

We have a southern fried chicken on biscuit place here and I took my American friends and they said it tasted pretty authentic 

It’s delicious :jonny:

I didn't know there was such a thing as American food, tbh. I thought you guys ate only burgers and other places food. 

29 minutes ago, AM98GJ said:

princess diaries had me gagging for a corn dog as a kid :rip:

Hers was a vegan corn dog 

4 minutes ago, Badgalbriel said:

I didn't know there was such a thing as American food, tbh. I thought you guys ate only burgers and other places food. 

Fresh Prince Of Bel Air Will Smith GIF - Fresh Prince Of Bel Air Will Smith  What - Discover & Share GIFs

1 minute ago, Josh said:

Fresh Prince Of Bel Air Will Smith GIF - Fresh Prince Of Bel Air Will Smith  What - Discover & Share GIFs

Well, not my fault. Everyone else in the world is taught you guys have no culture whatsoever 

4 minutes ago, Badgalbriel said:

Well, not my fault. Everyone else in the world is taught you guys have no culture whatsoever 

way to generalize 

4 minutes ago, Josh said:

way to generalize 

I'm sorry. It's just what we're taught. I just Googled "American Food" and all I can see are burgers, fried chicken and waffles. So I'm still unsure about what are the cultural dishes from the US. 

2 minutes ago, Badgalbriel said:

I'm sorry. It's just what we're taught. I just Googled "American Food" and all I can see are burgers, fried chicken and waffles. So I'm still unsure about what are the cultural dishes from the US. 

your problem was you googled it in the first place. Google is not a reliable source on food imo

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.