HDD: Morgan Wallen #1 492k, Kali Uchis #5 53k

Renan90

Just now, Squall said:

Just say you know nothing about numbers and let it go

Adele opened with 800k+, Taylor with 1.5m+. Why couldn't Morgan do numbers similar to 30's following up Dangerous?

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• anti-bitch

• Squall

• Bears01

• family.guy123

1 minute ago, Brando said:

He has CDs out. I expected MAGAts to pull up. 400k is great for this climate, but not all that impressive as a follow up to the best performing album of all times on BB200. 

They don't buy albums. It doesn't matter. Lol. I fear he just gets stronger every time people doubt him.

Just now, Brando said:

He has CDs out. I expected MAGAts to pull up. 400k is great for this climate, but not all that impressive as a follow up to the best performing album of all times on BB200. 

I think this just goes to show that physical sales are dead as hell for artists without truly dedicated fanbases. Most of Morgan's consumption is from "average" listeners who might have felt more inclined to stream him as some kind of protest against cancel culture, but aren't invested enough years after the incident to buy a type of product they'd no longer buy normally. When albums like 25 came out, buying a CD was still something people would do if they felt it was worth it, and so people did in record numbers because Adele was such a cross-demographic phenomenon at the time. Now, CDs barely matter - even vinyl is bigger. As much as I'd like to believe that this isn't a great sign for him, because I think his status as the face of the country genre is a little off-putting given the context surrounding him, I don't think that's the case. This is a strong opening - stronger than perhaps any other artist is capable of having in the country genre besides Taylor rerecordings - and it's probably going to decline very slowly.

flashdagoat
4 minutes ago, Brando said:

Like I said, he's a streaming artist. His audience doesn't consume through CDs or vinyls. Just sit back and watch how the numbers he accumulates over the next several months blow frontloaded pure sellers out of the water :dies:

17 minutes ago, Brando said:

Adele opened with 800k+, Taylor with 1.5m+. Why couldn't Morgan do numbers similar to 30's following up Dangerous?

We told you already but you don't seem to read.

18 minutes ago, anti-***** said:

They don't buy albums. It doesn't matter. Lol. I fear he just gets stronger every time people doubt him.

Also, he doesn't have vinyl out and we know how important they are now.

5 minutes ago, Cruel Summer said:

I think this just goes to show that physical sales are dead as hell for artists without truly dedicated fanbases. Most of Morgan's consumption is from "average" listeners who might have felt more inclined to stream him as some kind of protest against cancel culture, but aren't invested enough years after the incident to buy a type of product they'd no longer buy normally. When albums like 25 came out, buying a CD was still something people would do if they felt it was worth it, and so people did in record numbers because Adele was such a cross-demographic phenomenon at the time. Now, CDs barely matter - even vinyl is bigger. As much as I'd like to believe that this isn't a great sign for him, because I think his status as the face of the country genre is a little off-putting given the context surrounding him, I don't think that's the case. This is a strong opening - stronger than perhaps any other artist is capable of having in the country genre besides Taylor rerecordings - and it's probably going to decline very slowly.

Yeah. And the drop in sales from 25 to 30 proves that casual listeners don't buy albums anymore. I know Adele is less popular now but not that much less. There's been a massive change in the ways that people consume music. But streaming has given many albums longer lifespans than they would have had in the pure sales era. It's like album eras never end anymore. They move on and go up and down according to trends by Tiktok and other social media.

Yall are making me nervous for Miley. I thought she was going tobeat, there is so much hype for her after Flowers :jonny:

1 hour ago, Squall said:

Some of you really have no idea about how it works :dies: 

I literally had not heard of him until a few weeks ago.

9 minutes ago, Squall said:

We told you already but you don't seem to read.

You told me your assumptions. But keep ignoring how huge Dangerous was for over 2 years. That alone should have been enough for bigger physical numbers (even if out of protest) regardless of how little Dangerous opened with. No one expected Adele to do 3.5m. It's not that outlandish to expect Morgan to do a milli 

1 minute ago, on the line said:

He's a streaming force. Dangerous sold like 5.5-6M so far but only about 400k of these units are pure sales. He's gonna have an insane longevity but can't go too high first week.

4 minutes ago, Brando said:

You told me your assumptions. But keep ignoring how huge Dangerous was for over 2 years. That alone should have been enough for bigger physical numbers (even if out of protest) regardless of how little Dangerous opened with. No one expected Adele to do 3.5m. It's not that outlandish to expect Morgan to do a milli 

I told you facts, not assumptions. You're comparing Morgan to Taylor & Adele who move a lot of pure sales, it's just stupid. :rip: 

Also, I didn't only bring up his opening week with Dangerous but also his total. Not sure why this new album would open with bigger pure sales numbers (without vinyl, also) than his previous album's entire score.

Edited by Squall

2 minutes ago, on the line said:

Well that's the thing about today's fragmented culture and social media that you can be huge and still relatively unknown especially outside of the US.

5 minutes ago, Brando said:

This is so apples and oranges comparison. People don't rush to listen and buy Morgan Wallen. This is not like the event that Hello and 25 was. Idk if he's doing much promo either. Everything is more casual. And you see in this thread that not everyone even knows who he is. I said above that we are living in a fragmented culture where you can be huge in your own social bubble but barely exist outside of it.

3 minutes ago, anti-***** said:

This is so apples and oranges comparison. People don't rush to listen and buy Morgan Wallen. This is not like the event that Hello and 25 was. Idk if he's doing much promo either. Everything is more casual. And you see in this thread that not everyone even knows who he is. I said above that we are living in a fragmented culture where you can be huge in your own social bubble but barely exist outside of it.

I mean of course Morgan is neither Adele, nor Taylor, not even Drake, but Dangerous is pretty much unprecedented. 400k is simply not a wow number compared to the success of his previous album which is still in the Top 5. That's my only point. 

I mean of course Morgan is neither Adele, nor Taylor, not even Drake, but Dangerous is pretty much unprecedented. 400k is simply not a wow number compared to the success of his previous album which is still in the Top 5. That's my only point. 

Well, ok. But consider that there's no vinyls for the album yet. And the Billboard number is probably gonna be 500k in the end. And like you said, literally only Taylor, Adele and Drake can do more than that.

Edited by anti-bitch

You do realize that about 93% of Dangerous' total score is streams, right? :dies: 

24 minutes ago, Squall said:

I told you facts, not assumptions. You're comparing Morgan to Taylor & Adele who move a lot of pure sales, it's just stupid. :rip: 

Also, I didn't only bring up his opening week with Dangerous but also his total. Not sure why this new album would open with bigger pure sales numbers (without vinyl, also) than his previous album's entire score.

that poster is a taylor stan doing stunts for some reason.

Morgan will likely cross 500k and that's huge.

I don't get the posters downplaying it or the ones who are clearly triggered yet show up in every thread to complain about not liking his success.

I think Miley is going to surprise people next week.

People still under the belief that people consume his music out of “protest”.  What exactly are they protesting ? 

7 minutes ago, family.guy123 said:

People still under the belief that people consume his music out of “protest”.  What exactly are they protesting ? 

They (began) by protesting cancel culture trying to cancel him upon his racial slur incident; but yes, he seems to make the most commercially accessible country music out of men right now and that’s why people stuck around. He’s the most modernized male artist out of everyone (I think Kane Brown and Sam Hunt could have occupied this but they don’t have any “classic country” songs to cater to the older crowd the way Morgan does) and that’s why he benefits the most on streaming. 

QueenofCopyPaste

wow thats huge

6 minutes ago, WeFoundTrouble said:

They (began) by protesting cancel culture trying to cancel him upon his racial slur incident; but yes, he seems to make the most commercially accessible country music out of men right now and that’s why people stuck around. He’s the most modernized male artist out of everyone (I think Kane Brown and Sam Hunt could have occupied this but they don’t have any “classic country” songs to cater to the older crowd the way Morgan does) and that’s why he benefits the most on streaming. 

I think country as a genre is about to have/is having a resurgence. If you've caught any of the new American Idol season, there's a lot of country hopefuls. Morgan's impact probably. And I wanna mention Bailey Zimmerman and Drake Milligan as potential future stars. And I hope women come up too.

Yeah no, finding another avenue to listen to an artist you like when their music isn’t being played on the radio isn’t “protesting”.

Exact numbers for Dangerous:

Total: 6,017,000 (3,226M + 2,405M + 386k)

Pure sales: 392,000 (288,000 + 92,000 + 12,000)

6.5% of its total

And people wanted him to move 400k or so pure sales :skull: 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.