Thoughts on male celebs crossdressing ONLY for shock value?

BrentB

*This is a LONG read, but I just thought I'd  highlight a bunch of misconceptions that people seemed to have in the original OP. Don't just read the title and reply with ":biblio:"s and "ArE yOu OkAy!??!" s. Take the time and due diligence to unpack this if you really want to have an all-around conversation on this*   

So to preface, I'm obviously FOR men wearing dresses if they choose to. It should already be a commonplace thing by now, since females are given free reign to experiment with androngyny as they choose. I've stressed this many times but I guess that point gets lost here repeatedly...

However, I've noticed lately that it seems that more high-profile Hollywood male celebs jump on the "photoshoots in dresses" bandwagon, the more it seems to backfire and feed into the "emasculating agenda" panic. Now I know it's not anybody's job to debunk whatever hysterical nonsense that the GP's is peddling, but the onslaught of male celebs who do this (and don't even have genuine intentions and EXCLUSIVELY do this for shock value at that, and nowhere else in their day-to-day lives) is not helping men in general to embrace cross-dressing. It's honestly having the opposite effect.

Also, I HATE how it seems like almost EVERY black male celeb, especially, have taken this up, at one point in their career or another, and, again, don't seem to live this life outside of "shocking photoshoots & slapstick humor." All this does is feed into the never-ending claims of "buck-breaking" in Hollywood, which does a lot more damage than good to black men who do crossdress, or have the desire to, in their day-to-day lives. If there were a few outliers however, who act as representatives of the cross-dressing lifestyle, like Billy Porter, Lil Nas X and even Lil Uzi Vert of all people, then  there wouldn't be as much pushback and "emasculating agenda"  and "Bring OUR men back!" hysteria that we see a lot of in social media. There would still be homophobia but just not all this mass-panic of "emasculization"

I thought I'd just add in too that I am FULLY aware of celebs putting out images and fake personas that they don't live up to in their personal lives, but I think, unfortunately, that it would, again, take a few outliers who are "bout" that life, to combat this unique issue of toxic masculinity in today's society. It's the same  with hypersexuality in the media, that's been demonized a lot more lately these days due to oversaturation.         

And all of these claims in general, really do bring me to a point where I DO GENUINELY wonder, at times, if there may be any truth in these claims of  "forced, 'Hollyweird,' rite of passage cross-dressing rituals"  in which men have to crossdress to conjure certain energies that somehow advance their careers in Hollywood. Now if you don't believe in conspiracy theories in general, you obviously already checked out a long time ago and quoting me with your typical "knee-jerk" reactions and gifs really won't get this discourse anywhere. But I know A LOT of you on here believe in one conspiracy theory or another and might see where I'm going with this. I'm not an ALL-OUT tinfoil hatter myself but I do believe in the esoteric and that there are secret societies in Hollywood that get down to doing certain rituals for certain gains. 

What do y'all think? Should ONLY celeb males who crossdress in real life be the face of this new "men crossdressing" trend? Is it wrong at all to wonder if there could be any truth the "men crossdressing as rite of passage in Hollywood" claims? 

FpOiEaTWIAAvokt?format=jpg&name=small

lakeith-stanfield-replica-1-tgj.jpeg

kid-cudi-cfda-2021-billboard-1240-163660

0fdd65b4-025a-4d68-8ec9-2d7236679c57-356

Image-(2).jpg

Edited by BrentB

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BrentB

• The7thStranger

• RunUpDoneUp

• Headlock

Is it feeding into it? Sure, but that’s because there’s still a lot of ignorance in the world. There’s nothing wrong with a man wearing a dress, skirt, heels, whatever they want to wear basically. The people who claim it’s emasculating are just homophobic and still heavily depend on gender roles

Now if you don't really believe in conspiracy theories in general, then I CAN'T stress enough that your smart-ass comments aren't needed in this, please. This is for people in here who recognize Hollywood as having its intricate secret societies who do partake in rituals, whether for good or bad. 

oh. i see you aren't ok. :rip:

Edited by yonsé

27 minutes ago, BrentB said:

Now if you don't really believe in conspiracy theories in general, then I CAN'T stress enough that your smart-ass comments aren't needed in this, please. This is for people in here who recognize Hollywood as having its intricate secret societies who do partake in rituals, whether for good or bad.

:deadbanana4:

No, it's only the gays telling everybody that dress are not allowed unless you're publicly gay

Edited by lmnoc1

Everybody is okay with this.

The only people that have a problem are deranged conservatives and terminal online gays with no life.

There is no "rite of passage" that's literally religious weirdo conspiracy fear mongering.

Men have been wearing dresses before women did and will continue to do so after.

Ignorance of history does not excuse making up trends.

However, yes, people of the celebrity nature require conversations to occur around them, some use fashion for that.

The only thing doing harm, as always, is the disgusting propaganda and hatred spewed by right wing politicians who act like men wearing dresses is the biggest catastrophe of all time

the harm is from those screeching about emasculating men, its all just nonsensical ranting like much of what that sort of person has to say

Edited by EtherealCat

I mean it's cringe and obviously forced since none of these men wear feminine clothing outside photoshoots, but that's about it.

2 hours ago, BrentB said:

This is for people in here who recognize Hollywood as having its intricate secret societies who do partake in rituals, whether for good or bad. It IS ultimately okay for the act of a man crossdressing, to be seen as a harmless thing in itself and it also be recognized as something that is used as a "Hollyweird," rite of passage. Both things can be correct at fhe same. Females in "Hollyweird" also undergo their own rituals as a "rite of passage." 

Huh?

3546EE1D-C4A3-4521-A156-40F7877ACFB6.thu

You'd wish for there to be rituals and stuff in the entertainment industry, but the reality is more boring than that. There's still a lot of weirdos, hierarchies, abuses of power, shallow people and stuff, but it's not in an 'organized' way, it's just a bunch of people running after tons of money.

Having said that, wearing a dress is not a ritual, but magazines, photographers and other people push celebrities into doing it because it's kind of a trend right now. So, if you're a rising artist and want to give a good image to the media, want to get interviews and do promo for your stuff, you have to do the stuff these interviewers/magazines/companies tells you to do. That's where the 'forced' part might be coming from, some of them don't enjoy doing it and it shows. I still don't get where the 'harm' part is tho, it's just the entertainment industry being the entertainment industry as always.

59 minutes ago, Betty White said:

You lost me at the part about rituals

Then, per my warning in the OP, you should have "lost" yourself in another thread, my dear. If all you're going to do quote me with ":biblio:" and "conspiracy theorists are dumb," then it says a lot about your reading comprehension skills, or lack thereof.

It's like none of y'all can see the forest from the trees, can you? Y'all REALLY not all tapped in are you? You think that life is just your average 9-5, then go back home and browse Grindr for your next uneventful, banal, coke-infused, bareback 3 way (but OH, he's got a six pack !!! :eek:)?

Some of us, well at least I hope enough of us, have enough discernment to realize the underlying patterns in the industry. There's TOO much smoke for it to just be hearsay anymore or simply "homophobia." Also, plenty of male entertainers have spoken up about being forced against their will to dress feminine or be threatened with being blackballed. It's one thing to willingly feminine clothing, but another to have your career be on the line if you don't? That's unacceptable.

I mean can you really look at this picture and not feel a kind of way about it?

kid-cudi-cfda-awards-eli-russell-linnetz

Like, again, I'm completely for celeb men exploring their feminine side, but the rollout of this isn't sitting well with me. Plus, it's giving appropriation, especially from guys who ACTUALLY live and breathe crossdressing lifestyle. Ask yourself, WHY does it seem like almost EVERY A-list male celeb, ESPECIALLY black males, have worn a dress at one point in time? 

Ultimately, I just wish a lot of male celebs wouldn't just jump on this trend ALL at once. It would've been fine if there were a few outliers doing this, like Billy Porter and Bad Bunny. It's the same way I wish that females in the entertainment industry wouldn't ALL jump on the "sexual vixen" image because now it all it does is oversaturate that imagery and feed into the "sexualizing agenda!! emasulating agenda!!" propaganda. Plus it's not even genuine or fun if it's like that anyway. 

1 minute ago, Dephira said:

I have literally no idea what you are trying to say babes

So then I guess thanks for the contribution. You got your point across so there's that... :juanny:

33 minutes ago, BrentB said:

You think that life is just your average 9-5, then go back home and browse Grindr for your next uneventful, banal, coke-infused, bareback 3 way (but OH, he's got a six pack !!! :eek:)?

:cold1:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.