P!nk's TRUSTFALL outsold Beyoncé's Renaissance in the UK. Why?

Liafen

10 minutes ago, Otter said:

It's not 

:lmao: that user never knows anything about the UK and constantly presents lies as facts 

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Liafen

• Lovett

• bijonse

• Virtual_Insanity

4 minutes ago, BeyColombia said:

you think you are doing something... this is the most this album has been talked and we still have not hear a song

She should mention Beyoncé more so she can sell two more copies 

Glad I could help Alecia promote her album, which sold 20%+ more than Beyoncé's Renaissance in the UK when comparing their respective opening weeks! :heart2:

And wait, so the power of mentioning Beyoncé is shifting an additional two copies? Legend X stans claimed at least 25k off of Alecia's US numbers, I assumed that Queen Bey's name is worth much more!

Edited by Liafen

I mean, when Bey drops in the UK in literally a few months, her sales are going to SKYROCKET. Especially if she does even ONE single piece of UK media.

I agree it's off-topic to discuss things other than this one week of sales in this one market only.

But it's also very funny how people are trying to corral conversation into this narrow scope of focus because otherwise the entire point to be made would have little further basis. 

15 minutes ago, Otter said:

Top streaming tracks are heavily discounted. Performing & promoting on Graham Norton for an audience of 4m+ >>>>>

Only the Top 2. Hence it was a very clever strategy to have a third track on that massive playlist as it would be unaffected. 

Still unanswered:

If it's not:

• music videos
  • performances
  • local promotion
  • 4 different pure sales options
  • combos of each
  • bundles of each

then what is the reason one album outsold another that (if we are doing math)... didn't even have 20% of those things?

20 minutes ago, MrLovett said:

You've been getting clocked left, right and centre with straight up fabrications. You don't remember anything, you make things up and just tell people they're facts. :toofunny3: You're welcome to provide evidence of these 'details'. :)

The only thing that's been clocked is your lack of understanding of what constitues a big number and a small number and your litany of excuses to excuse Pink being over 20 percent ahead of Bey in week 1 in the UK. 

4 hours ago, Liafen said:

:chick2: Pink sold 2.5m more albums as the Quick Lil Singles.gif chanteuse? WOW, thanks for the info!

Beyoncé only had 6 albums :rip: one of it was released three years late on streaming services and 5/6 are R&B/urban genre. 

18 minutes ago, swissman said:

Still unanswered:

If it's not:

• music videos
  • performances
  • local promotion
  • 4 different pure sales options
  • combos of each
  • bundles of each

then what is the reason one album outsold another that (if we are doing math)... didn't even have 20% of those things?

I doubt music videos are the reason.

Performances and local promotion: Pink's team shuffled their cards right, indeed. But Beyoncé's team also played her strength: streaming with high placements on TTH & the streaming treatment which Pink did not receive in return. The argument to have is what focus is rewarded more under the current rules of OCC and whether the correct weights are being used in the total sales formula that reflect not only the music consumption trends of this era but also the equality of effort needed to reach one CD sale/one album equivalent worth of streams.

Pure sales options: that's an argument for someone with a dedicated fanbase like Taylor's. I have no data to back it up but Pink's hardcore fanbase purchasing more copies are marginal; and your reasoning is also just an unfounded assumption that due to the availability of multiple options, people would buy more. Pink's purchasing power is with the GP so I think that effect is, again, only marginal in her case. (You can also see from the numbers that the total vinyl and cassette sales are like half of the overall difference between Ren and Trustfall - and you can't reasonably argue that those purchases all came with a purchase of a CD).

The reason that seems to be interesting is the availability of Bey's album in the physical form (though I have a hard time believing they severely understocked CDs and she shifted almost the same amount of vinyls) or Pink just simply being a bigger (pure) album seller in the UK and that helped her to surpass Beyoncé during the first week, where pure sales are concentrated.

Edited by Liafen

Another interesting data is that Pink's pure sales outsold Beyoncés total album activity (pure AND streaming-equivalent units) in the first week in the UK!

6 minutes ago, Liafen said:

Another interesting data is that Pink's pure sales outsold Beyoncés total album activity (pure AND streaming-equivalent units) in the first week in the UK!

Oh wow. Stomp after stomp ! 

2 minutes ago, FightDragonsWithMe said:

Not this getting to 13 pages :gaycat6:

A hit thread! Thanks BeyHive :heart:

19 minutes ago, Liafen said:

Performances and local promotion: Pink's team shuffled their cards right, indeed. But Beyoncé's team also played her strength: streaming with high placements on TTH & the streaming treatment which Pink did not receive in return. The argument to have is what focus is rewarded more under the current rules of OCC and whether the correct weights are being used in the total sales formula that reflect not only the music consumption trends of this era but also the equality of effort needed to reach one CD sale/one album equivalent worth of streams.

Pure sales options: that's an argument for someone with a dedicated fanbase like Taylor's. I have no data to back it up but Pink's hardcore fanbase purchasing more copies are marginal; and your reasoning is also just an unfounded assumption that due to the availability of multiple options, people would buy more. Pink's purchasing power is with the GP so I think that effect is, again, only marginal in her case. (You can also see from the numbers that the total vinyl and cassette sales are like half of the overall difference between Ren and Trustfall - and you can't reasonably argue that those purchases all came with a purchase of a CD).

The reason that seems to be interesting is the availability of Bey's album in the physical form (though I have a hard time believing they severely understocked CDs and she shifted almost the same amount of vinyls) or Pink just simply being a bigger (pure) album seller in the UK and that helped her to surpass Beyoncé during the first week, where pure sales are concentrated.

I was in London, Manchester and Birmingham on the release week for Renaissance and it was stocked to high levels in every record shop I visited. I even saw entire sections set up for it. The Hive are literally inventing this "understocked" thing. Serving .. sold out on itunes. 

1 hour ago, Virtual_Insanity said:

It's irrelevant where the units come from. 

The total is the total. 

37000 V's 31000. 

you asked us why, several users broke down where the units come from, pinks promo tour and fanbase as well as explaining how it’s gonna fall down the charts in the upcoming weeks unlike Renaissance. Now you wanna act dumb when we already explained why? 

this is such a stupid thread. OP wanted to start a mess over some dumb first week numbers knowing full well that first week numbers do nothing but put a pretty chart peak next to the album, especially when Trustfall will freefall off the charts

and the fact the difference is only 6k :skull:

1 minute ago, bijonse said:

you asked us why, several users broke down where the units come from, pinks promo tour and fanbase as well as explaining how it’s gonna fall down the charts in the upcoming weeks unlike Renaissance. Now you wanna act dumb when we already explained why? 

You seem very upset. 

13 minutes ago, brenda-walsh said:

this is such a stupid thread. OP wanted to start a mess over some dumb first week numbers knowing full well that first week numbers do nothing but put a pretty chart peak next to the album, especially when Trustfall will freefall off the charts

and the fact the difference is only 6k :skull:

right? like it's already apparent...

RENAISSANCE second week in the UK: #1

TRUSTFALL second week in the UK: #3 (midweek update)

but celebrate the 6k initial lead I guess :deadbanana2: they gotta celebrate SOMETHING :dies:

12 minutes ago, Liafen said:

I agree that there's no way all people who bought a cassette/vinyl also bought the CD, but Pink does offer several combinations of just that: CD+cassette; CD+vinyl; CD+cassette+vinyl; and then all the other variations of those things that come with shirts or hoodies or posters or the zine. I do think this is still a factor in partially answering "why", seeing as the availability of cassettes and vinyls (collectibles more than ways to consume the music) are half the difference, which as has been outlined in this thread, is no "meagre" amount, thus should not be disregarded as an unimportant factor towards its success.

As for music videos, that's far harder to quantify towards sales, but they still are very valid and strong forms of promotion that is not replaced simply by not releasing a music video whatsoever. A music video has the power to turn a song into a hit (such as Single Ladies) or into a cultural talking point (Formation). Not to mention, she's making dance music...a genre well suited to the promotional impacts of a music video. Beyoncé choosing not to use her best form of promotion to signal the beginning of her new era was a choice, and one that surely has an affect on the average person's awareness of and engagement with the era. Beyoncé changing her instagram bio to announce BREAK MY SOUL made the news and that was just a few words on a screen that you actually had to go to her page to see. A music video and/or performance that appears on YouTube and may be recommended to you, sent to you via link, on social media, etc. would surely have done a lot more for the album than the promotion she gave her singles (which was... basically nothing).

Clearly they both put different kids of focus in different places so it's hard to say either way what would happen if they each balanced out their choices, but aside from the fact that the UK is a very strong market for Pink, it's also very clear that Beyoncé put far less importance on gaining physical sales, which as we know was what she needed most to outsell Pink's first week sales here.

1 hour ago, Virtual_Insanity said:

You seem very upset. 

you’re projecting. Did i strike a nerve by saying you’re acting dumb? You are, the hive explained why earlier and you’re acting like you can’t comprehend when I know you can

Edited by bijonse

6 hours ago, bijonse said:

Cant wait to Bump this Thread ! Because you know it will backfire for them 

bijonse

7 hours ago, Virtual_Insanity said:

I was in London, Manchester and Birmingham on the release week for Renaissance and it was stocked to high levels in every record shop I visited. I even saw entire sections set up for it. The Hive are literally inventing this "understocked" thing. Serving .. sold out on itunes. 

What is with this obsession with just lying for no reason? :rip: Just barefaced, outright lying. You know none of this is true, we know none of this is true. So what exactly is the point? :lmao:

8 hours ago, Liafen said:

So Rose Mcgowan GIF - So Rose Mcgowan Stan Twitter ...

This thread is about opening week sales in the land of Her Majesty The Queen's (RIP) United Kingdom. 

I know that the Hive isn't famous for its reading comprehension skills (nor for its... dexterity with numbers) but can I ask you to stay on topic, please? :heart2:

The beyhive is sadly never on topic :ducky: It's quiet a common pattern for them to deflect from the original topic.