Bebe Rexha stans Madonna's Ray of Light; calls it one of the best records of all time

Bloodflowers.

Did the "I'm Gonna Show You Crazy" hitmaker spill?

In today's sample-obssesed pop culture, artists should look back at songs like Ray Of Light: A lot of the lyrics and melodies are taken from the early 70s folk-rock song Sepheryn by Curtiss Maldoon. How in the world William Orbit got the intial idea to rework this particular song into a pop-techno track is beyond me. But it shows that using old music in a re-contextualized way can be as exciting as newly written music if the artists take some risks and don't rely on nostalgia as the only selling point.

46 minutes ago, The Next Day said:

In today's sample-obssesed pop culture, artists should look back at songs like Ray Of Light: A lot of the lyrics and melodies are taken from the early 70s folk-rock song Sepheryn by Curtiss Maldoon. How in the world William Orbit got the intial idea to rework this particular song into a pop-techno track is beyond me. But it shows that using old music in a re-contextualized way can be as exciting as newly written music if the artists take some risks and don't rely on nostalgia as the only selling point.

Well they don't care about artistry, it's memeability and going viral off lazy nostalgia that's top priority right now. :michael:

Edited by bleuwaffle

13 minutes ago, bleuwaffle said:

Well they don't care about artistry, it's memeability and going viral off lazy nostalgia that's top priority right now. :michael:

There's a lot of factors I think. What you describe is especially what the labels want. The pressure is high for songwriters and young artists to use samples from the back catalogues the labels own themselves. And of course a lot of people follow that route to be successful. Madonna was able to take risks with Ray of Light cause she had the status, young artists need to earn that first. And when veteran or independent artists take the risks, there's still a lot of prejudice when it comes to samples and interpolations, especially the "a dozen writers on one song is bad" narrative.  Fortunately there's progress (They did the same thing to rap songs and denied that they're art because they use samples. That discussion is hilariously outdated now and the same will happen to the "number of writers" discussion) and hopefully this will motivate artists to be even more adventurous in the future.

She's hinting that she's going to sample it on a future global #1 smash ala "I'm Blue" 

I hope Madonna doesn't let her though 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.