RS: 50 Genuinely Horrible Albums by Brilliant Artists (American Life #26)

Sahn

2 minutes ago, SuperCiC1 said:

Hollywood is top 5 Madonna songs and it's not 5.

Praise!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ScorpiosGroove

• Sahn

• madonnas

• FightDragonsWithMe

Other than holly wood thin duke remix, love profusion, American life and die another day it’s not really good. Plus she pulled the original American life video that made a statement.

Madonna’s output from her 1983 debut LP all the way to 2000’s Music is one of the most impressive runs in the history of pop music. She went through Bowie-like stylistic changes with practically every album but always stayed on top of trends and never lost her ability to generate hits. All of that came to a screeching halt in 2003 with American Life. Released weeks after the start of the Iraq War, the album finds Madonna confronting a post-9/11 world and a desire to move beyond narcissistic desires. “I used to live in a tiny bubble,” she sings on “I’m So Stupid.” “And I wanted to be like all the pretty people that were all around me/But now I know for sure that I was stupid.” These are noble sentiments, but the music came at a time when she was just learning how to play guitar and rap. Her skills at both were rather rudimentary, and her decision to work with French techno producer Mirwais Ahmadzaï (who had been on board for the more successful Music) added yet another element that caused the whole project to become hopelessly muddled when it wasn’t just downright embarrassing. The world in 2003 had little use for Madonna the folk guitarist or Madonna the rapper. When she reverted back to dance music for 2005’s Confessions on a Dance Floor, it was a tacit acknowledgement that she’d made a horrible mistake.

Imagine calling yourself a journalist and not being able to write a single paragraph without completely contradicting yourself by the end of it! :skull:

Why is Ye on there over something like Jesus is King or Donda 2 (if we count that at all)? Ye is a pretty decent album, weaker than Kanye's masterpieces, sure, but not as bad as JiK or Donda 2. Certainly not a trainwreck.

American Life isn't even bad though. If they're going to pick one genuinely bad Madonna album, then choose MDNA. :sistrens:

Well, I like it and that's what's important, not what a declining publication says :giraffe:

Dear Rolling Stone… thank you for proving that are out of touch and that you should not be taken seriously. A few of those albums were fantastic. It also missed several very obvious choices. 

American Life is trash. It's a really weak album musically and thematically.

Omg. They must be trolling at this point.

ive only heard American Life and its not bad as for the rest i have no clue 

2 hours ago, madonnas said:

AL is def madonna her worst album.  I still like a lot of it though, lol.  

if you don't count her pre-LAP and post-COADF efforts, then sure.

icyrdmos8g2ih15uyn.gif

American Life it’s as polarized as Madonna herself. Loved and hated but certainly hard to ignore. And once again, MDNO is FAR worst yet no one cares to even mention it.  :michael:

• ATRL Moderator
39 minutes ago, Frozen99 said:

if you don't count her pre-LAP and post-COADF efforts, then sure.

icyrdmos8g2ih15uyn.gif

Her first 3 albums clear it without lifting a finger like be serious.  You cannot be saying legendary classics like true blue and her debut are worse than American life :skull:

Sorry but AL is in the Top 5 of her best albums. They had a lot of options to choose from considering her horrid output after 2005.

1 hour ago, madonnas said:

Her first 3 albums clear it without lifting a finger like be serious.  You cannot be saying legendary classics like true blue and her debut are worse than American life :skull:

IDK Like A Virgin album is pretty bad.

3 hours ago, Beyonnaise said:

Critics still don't understand the album. It's hardly even about politics outside of the title track. It's more of a contemplative work from a woman in her forties who has already accomplished everything she wanted and still feels unfulfilled in certain aspects. The main political undercurrent is much more subtle and comes through when you consider what she was living through while making it, as most people's bright hopes for a new millennium of prosperity crumbled along with the Twin Towers. She wasn't in the mood to just be silly and dance. Madonna is a reactive cultural figure so naturally that sentiment was reflected, as it was in most early 2000s media.

Overall quality wise, it's not as great as her best albums but there are some gems. X-Static Process and Nothing Fails are two of her best songs.

I feel the same in all aspects pretty much. Nothing wrong with the direction of the record, it makes sense actually overall. The quality though is shaky, it’s one of my least faves from her easily, but those two songs + Love Profusion (to a slightly lesser extent) really are amazing and career highlights. Some of her worst tracks mixed with several of her absolute best :jonny: 

I’m surprised they didn’t add Joanne or ARTPOP. Not that those albums are atrocious or anything, but they were a massive decline from Gaga’s first 3 albums. 

Both albums have some good things on them though, but if American Life is on this list I don’t see why those couldn’t be :michael: 

IASF also comes to mind, especially since all of her albums after that one are just stellar.

Also, can critics stop lashing Dog Eat Dog? I understand why it isn’t beloved, but I don’t see the issue with it. I don’t even think the production is an issue. It’s very of-its-time and dissimilar to what she’s known for sound-wise but I feel like that’s… the point? It’s a critique on society and politics and I always assumed the sound was purposefully very mainstream and polished in a bit of an ironic sense. Aside from that, Joni is one of my favorite artists ever and in my opinion the best lyricist of all time, but her melodies/hooks were always the things that grabbed me the least, as I love a song with lots of pop-style hooks. And I thought this was one of her strongest records in that regard. Not exactly what she’s known for but still an interesting venture.

Good Friends and Fiction are both kinda better than most ‘80s pop classics, even though, as I said, I always assumed they’re meant to sound a bit parodic of that era of music (the era that she always says ‘killed music’). I would say Dog Eat Dog is easily a better overall album than Song to a Seagull, Clouds, Mingus and Taming the Tiger. Not that STAS and Clouds don’t have some of her best songs and several classics but just overall they aren’t my favorites. Anyway, it’s unfortunate that I’m in the minority in my love for this album, since it wasn’t critically or commercially successful (a gigantic bomb) and almost everyone hates it :rip: 

5 hours ago, family.guy123 said:

Where is IASF

They wouldn’t dare to include beyonce in a list like this :skull: they know they’d get death threats. Plus it’s full of smashes I didn’t even know it’s considered “bad”.

Edited by Superbitch

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.