RS: 50 Genuinely Horrible Albums by Brilliant Artists (American Life #26)

Sahn

27 minutes ago, madonnas said:

Fun style WON :jonny:

AL is def madonna her worst album.  I still like a lot of it though, lol.  

Liz Phair becoming an Avril reject haunts her more than the mess that is Funstyle. She's a great musician tho! 

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ScorpiosGroove

• Sahn

• madonnas

• FightDragonsWithMe

Critics still don't understand the album. It's hardly even about politics outside of the title track. It's more of a contemplative work from a woman in her forties who has already accomplished everything she wanted and still feels unfulfilled in certain aspects. The main political undercurrent is much more subtle and comes through when you consider what she was living through while making it, as most people's bright hopes for a new millennium of prosperity crumbled along with the Twin Towers. She wasn't in the mood to just be silly and dance. Madonna is a reactive cultural figure so naturally that sentiment was reflected, as it was in most early 2000s media.

Overall quality wise, it's not as great as her best albums but there are some gems. X-Static Process and Nothing Fails are two of her best songs.

Edited by Beyonnaise

2 minutes ago, ScorpiosGroove said:

the blue banisters erasure…

paradise and lust for life are worse 

American Life is a terrible album. I’m convinced some stans look back on their faves being down bad with rose colored glasses. Bad songs, bad production, terrible vocal production…she has far, far better. 

RS is trash though.

18 minutes ago, Karla Cabello said:

paradise isn’t an album and lfl sans flopchella, GBA, in my feelings shits on blue pannisters bfr 

19 minutes ago, Karla Cabello said:

Paradise is far from the “worst” of anything in her discography. Solid EP and aged better than some discographies for sure.

Lust For Life is still a more fun record than her last two output. Blue Banisters remains her worst, but still good. 

• ATRL Moderator
20 minutes ago, FightDragonsWithMe said:

Liz Phair becoming an Avril reject haunts her more than the mess that is Funstyle. She's a great musician tho! 

Lol I actually like Funstyle more too, I don’t mind WCI but the rest of the album is meh.  0.0 for it and complete panning is undeserved though.   

4 minutes ago, madonnas said:

Lol I actually like Funstyle more too, I don’t mind WCI but the rest of the album is meh.  0.0 for it and complete panning is undeserved though.   

I just bop to "your record collections don't exist, you don't even know who Liz Phair is." I don't think Funstyle deserved the 0.0 either but I wish white women just stopped rapping :gaycat6:

Dog Eat Dog has some well-written songs (Good Friends, Impossible Dreamer, The Three Great Stimulants). The production isn't great, but the record has some enjoyable moments. Listen to the demo for Good Friends and watch her Farm Aid '85 performances.

42 minutes ago, Pop said:

Kanye at #1 :clap3:

American Life is excellent. Madame X and MDNA should have charted instead. 

Why would her best album be on this list?

Rolling Stone are just doing this to get outrage clicks and attention. 

40. Soap Opera - The Kinks

Another record with some great tunes.

Have Another Drink 

Holiday Romance

When Work Is Over

You Make It All Worthwhile 

Underneath the Neon Sign

:katie2: 

It’s a pretty good album. Far from horrible. Madame X was right there with its 3 listenable tracks. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.